PDA

View Full Version : 05 LSV - Brand new Steering cable ocasionally grinding.

jbgp1200
07-11-2011, 10:18 AM
I am hoping some one has had this happen and can help me figure out how I can resolve it.

Saturday we took up the floor and replaced the steering cable. Took at about 4 hours to get it in and get everything aligned so I had an even number of rotations left and right. I am amazed at how easy the boat steers now. However I did notice a problem on the lake yesterday. On occasion the steering wheel is grinding. It definitely feels like its the gears grinding where the helm and rack are connected.

I only seem to feel the grinding if I take off (throttle from a dead stop) while the wheel is cranked all the way to the left or the right. Grinds for a bit and as I straighten out the grinding stops. Also does not do it every time.

Can any one offer me any advice as to why these gears would be grinding. I don't even see how they can grind as the rack fits pretty tight to the helm where the gears meet. none the less it is grinding.

I did have the crazy thought that maybe this is normal and it sorta worked like a chuck on a drill and to keep the gears from being chewed up it kinda ratcheted to protect itself. But I and sorta thinking this is not the case and it should never grind like this.

Any help would be appreciated.

jbgp1200
07-11-2011, 05:53 PM
This is a duplicate and was some how posted twice but I can no figure out how to delete the post.