PDA

View Full Version : Engine on coming out of water

pmoomba
07-11-2011, 09:21 AM
I had a total brain fart this weekend and had my engine on while being pulled out of the water. It was not very long, and seemed like water was still coming out the back and the temp gauge was normal when I jumped in to turn it off.

Any cause for concern? I haven't had a chance to start it up since. I'm assuming it's probably ok (though of course not to be repeated) but figured it didn't hurt to ask.

newty
07-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Seeing as how it was wet initially as it was pulled out of the water you may be ok, But I would grab a spare impellar just to be safe. They are less than $30. Its good to have a spare anyway.

cab13367
07-11-2011, 10:27 AM
I would check the impeller to make sure its intact.

pmoomba
07-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I have some spares already, but will give it a check and make sure I have the spares with me instead of home in the garage.

jmb
07-11-2011, 07:34 PM
I goofed one time and put the fake a lake to the ballast intake instead of the engine. Ran it for about a minute or 2 before I realized what I had done. I didn't hurt the impeller. I checked.

pmoomba
07-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Wow, changing the impeller in an 06 OBV is an ordeal. When I was summerizing I took a look at where the impeller was and said I didn't want any part of trying to get it out of that cramped space, so I picked up an impeller puller. Turns out that's mostly useless in my boat as it's almost too long to maneuver in there, and with only 1 hand, minimal leverage, and blind to the impeller I was never going to get the hooks in there.

I snapped a photo and even though it wasn't great quality it looked like one of the arms of the impeller was off so figured what the heck, I was going to change it at the end of the season anyway. I don't know if there are any tricks but I fought with wd40 equivalents, screw drivers, pliers, paint can openers, bumping the engine, and all sorts of other things for at least a solid hour or two with some breaks before I finally made a little progress, then it finally popped out.

Turns out it was in great shape other than what I did to it trying to pull it out, but c'est la vie. At least I have a new impeller now.

murraymoomba
07-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I think it is easier to take the whole thing off and then take the impeller out. I'm to big a feller to do it in the boat. lol

Wow, changing the impeller in an 06 OBV is an ordeal. When I was summerizing I took a look at where the impeller was and said I didn't want any part of trying to get it out of that cramped space, so I picked up an impeller puller. Turns out that's mostly useless in my boat as it's almost too long to maneuver in there, and with only 1 hand, minimal leverage, and blind to the impeller I was never going to get the hooks in there.

I snapped a photo and even though it wasn't great quality it looked like one of the arms of the impeller was off so figured what the heck, I was going to change it at the end of the season anyway. I don't know if there are any tricks but I fought with wd40 equivalents, screw drivers, pliers, paint can openers, bumping the engine, and all sorts of other things for at least a solid hour or two with some breaks before I finally made a little progress, then it finally popped out.

Turns out it was in great shape other than what I did to it trying to pull it out, but c'est la vie. At least I have a new impeller now.

jmvotto
07-11-2011, 09:19 PM
I think it is easier to take the whole thing off and then take the impeller out. I'm to big a feller to do it in the boat. lol

this one is on the annual inspection for the dealer. not touching it unless i have to.:(