PDA

View Full Version : Basic ballast question

Hoopskier
07-11-2011, 02:53 AM
I was recently out on my boat the other night. I had a larger group than normal. I was out wakeboarding and I noticed the increased in wake size was kinda nice. Thus leading me to think that maybe my boat would benefit from some ballast, for when I have less people. I am not ready to commit to built in ballast. I was thinking of this;

Direct Drive Wakeboard 800 Ballast Package
http://www.wakemakers.com/direct-drive-wakeboard-ballast-package.html

Not really big but would make a good start. What do you guys think?

sandm
07-11-2011, 07:58 AM
makes a great start. that's 4 200lb guys in your boat just like that. takes some time to fill them, but just enjoy a brew while that's going on. would guess you would be 10 minutes to fill both by the time you get them out and finish..

go for it :)

jbgp1200
07-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I have the built in ballast and have swapped out one side of my 300lb's for a 750lb bag. I have that same pump that I use for my loose 300lb bag and its awesome. Very fast to fill and drain. I accidentally brought home a couple bags of water last weekend and I hooked it up and my wife watered the lawn with the tsunami pump. grass has never been greener. :)

bergermaister
07-11-2011, 10:51 AM
I have built in ballast as well as that exact setup of 2 extra 400lbs bags and a handheld pump to move around accordingly.

Once you get ballast you'll never go back!

NCSUmoomba
07-11-2011, 05:09 PM
I think it would be a great start. I run about 1000 pounds of ballast in my 2001 Outback about 60% front (under the bow seats and in the bow walkway) and 40% rear (in the rear ski locker) and the wake is really nice for a AWSA approved direct drive. I am still running the stock sized prop (13x13) as well and the boat has no problem with the weight. I have had up to about 1500 pounds in it, but the it is too much weight for that prop. Since I still slalom ski, I have not thought much about changing to a more wakeboarding style prop. The only aggrevating thing might be climbing over those bags all the time. You will be pleased with the wake with the additional weight.

Hoopskier
07-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Well.. I got my order in. Used the Moomba discount. Just gotta wait for the UPS man now.

snyderaaron
07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
I have gravity 3 ballast in my 2010 LSV. I want to upgrade my rear ballast but afraid ill need weight in the ski locker to counteract the weight. If seems when I have more people in the boat it takes a while to plane out and this extra ballast kind of worries me. Any thoughts

Hoopskier
07-18-2011, 01:36 AM
I have gravity 3 ballast in my 2010 LSV. I want to upgrade my rear ballast but afraid ill need weight in the ski locker to counteract the weight. If seems when I have more people in the boat it takes a while to plane out and this extra ballast kind of worries me. Any thoughts

I'm no ballast expert, but sounds normal to me, from what I have read. When you add the extra ballast, water+people, it takes extra power. That is the reason why some change out props to compensate for the extra weight. A different prop will get you some better low end hole shot at the cost of top speed.

Hoopskier
07-18-2011, 01:43 AM
Well.. I got my order in. Used the Moomba discount. Just gotta wait for the UPS man now.

I got the package the other day (fast shipping from wakemakers) and tried it out today. It took about 10 min. to fill both bags. Can feel the extra weight when driving. The 3 blade prop handles the weight ok, but since I have a 4 blade for a spare, I may have to swap them out. The wake firmed up nicely for wakeboarding. One sac on either side of the engine. Only downside so far is the annoyance of the bags sitting on the floor, but not that big of deal.