PDA

View Full Version : Prop spin at Idle?

NorCal 98Outback
07-10-2011, 09:48 PM
I noticed today that when my engine is in Neutral my prop spin is about one rotation a second. This seems a little fast for being in neutral. Should this worry me? The boat was running on the trailer in my driveway when i noticed this. ZF tranny on my 98 Outback direct drive. Thanks

phospher
07-11-2011, 10:36 AM
They call that dirty neutral. It's caused by warped clutch plates that drag. You'll need to rebuild the transmission.

lsvboombox
07-11-2011, 01:53 PM
seen boats, quads, motorcycles and cars all do this when they are up on a jack...... my Rude '10 225 ho outboard even does it....

phospher
07-12-2011, 11:34 AM
I assure you that your prop should not spin while the boat is in neutral.

rdlangston13
07-13-2011, 08:23 PM
our heavy duty allison transmission on our pumps at work spin in neutral unless they are under a load. these are brand new, never seen one not do it

phospher
07-14-2011, 12:29 PM
our heavy duty allison transmission on our pumps at work spin in neutral unless they are under a load. these are brand new, never seen one not do it

Is that the same transmission that is in our boats? Just watch your kids feet under the boat. I'm sure you can call anyone who works on inboard boats and they will tell you it SHOULD NOT spin in neutral. Some trannys do this as you guys described but zf hurth and velvet drives are not one of them.

rdlangston13
07-14-2011, 12:43 PM
i just think that the hydraulic motion of the fluid in the tranny can transfer energy from on spinning component to a non spinning component and cause it to spin slightly without a load. im sure if anyones prop is spinning at idle it is not very fast and could probably be stopped with your hand. also just being in the water could provide enough resistance to stop it from spinning.

lsvboombox
07-14-2011, 01:37 PM
i just think that the hydraulic motion of the fluid in the tranny can transfer energy from on spinning component to a non spinning component and cause it to spin slightly without a load. im sure if anyones prop is spinning at idle it is not very fast and could probably be stopped with your hand. also just being in the water could provide enough resistance to stop it from spinning.

+1
in the water if its still spinning i'd maybe be concerned, on the trailer if you cant stop it with your hand then i'd be concerned

ChrisK
07-14-2011, 02:04 PM
What the man with the finger through his eye said.

cham
07-14-2011, 03:50 PM
+1
in the water if its still spinning i'd maybe be concerned, on the trailer if you cant stop it with your hand then i'd be concerned

Will you be the official tester for this?

lsvboombox
07-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Will you be the official tester for this?

sure bring your hand and we can check it out....

NorCal 98Outback
07-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Ok, called the local dealer. He said that on the trailer it might spin but you should be able to make it stop if you grab it.