PDA

View Full Version : LAKE NORRIS

NC05LSV
04-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Thinking about a trip to lake Norris meeting my family half way between where I am now and where they are. Anyone wakeboard at Lake Norris.....if so, what about camping? Any suggestions would be appreciated.......thanks in advance.

NC05LSV
04-07-2005, 04:08 PM
LAKE NORRIS TENNESSEE BY THE WAY..SORRY

MartyC
04-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Never camped there but been there. Beautiful. Big, clean, deep, mountains...you can't beat it.

NC05LSV
04-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the information. Lake looks great in pictures....

Livindadream
04-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Norris Lake is my destination of choice. Been going there for 10 years. My only complaint is there is really not much camping on the lake. Only one I know of is Andersonville, and it is not very nice. Unless you want to beach your boat, no good place to onload passengers or to park it when you come in for lunch/dinner. There are no docks, the restroom facilities are rough,etc. Cheapest alternative on the lake is at Shanghai Resort, www.shanghairesort.com. Very nice hotel that sits on the lake. $68/night for a room with two queen beds, fridge. Most of the accomodations at Norris are condos/houses. At Shanghai they have uncovered docks available for free that you walk to from the hotel, but I always rent a covered slip for $10/night from the management. Norris has a fantastic array of Marinas, and several of them have theme nights(Carribean night, Wings and Corona night, Karoake, etc). Tons of fun to hit a different one each night. Let me know if you need any other reccomendations.

Tracy

NC05LSV
04-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the information! sounds like a great lake to go to. I am contacting my family now to see if they willl stay in a resort...........I actually would like that especially with the covered slips.............thanks again for all the information......Patrick

Livindadream
04-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Hey Patrick, don't let the "resort" thing fool you. Its a marina. Go to the websight and look at it. A resort would be Deerfield, which has the golf course, $1 million homes, etc. Shanghai is nothing of that sort. If you have a bunch of people that are going, that don't mind staying under the same roof, Deerfield or some of the other rentals may be a nice option. Houses range from $200-400 per night, but most have 6-7 bedrooms and are very spacious. All come with private docks, etc.

J-Lawv
04-16-2005, 09:07 PM
This is off topic but... How does Lake Norris compare to other lakes in tenn. and ketucky. I go to daleholow and Lake Cumberland every year, and always hear about Norris, and i was just wondering how they compared?

NC05LSV
04-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Not sure. I love Dale hollow and Cumberland. I have heard that Norris is one of the best hidden wakeboard lakes out there. Not sure if it will live up to its reputation but I definitely will be posting my opinions after going....

Buttafewcoe
04-18-2005, 07:01 AM
Centerhill Lake on the south side of I-40 is a great wakeboard lake also. Although I haven't had my Outback on it, I have trailered the old run-a-bout over there. Not sure where Cumberland is, but I've been to Dale Hollow. TVA has some nice places.

Livindadream
04-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Bigger than Dale Hollow, smaller than Cumberland. I quit going to Cumberland because it seemed to be succumbing to the big boats, either large live-aboards or the 70+ MPH Baja's etc. While these are fine, not very condusive to Wake Boarding or Skiing. Norris has the same crystal water as Dale Hollow(which is where I grew up skiing) and much cleaner than Cumberland, although I hear they now require houseboats to have self-contained sewage systems. As I mentioned, the down side of Norris is if you like to camp. Another great lake that is a great place to camp and has awesome water is Laurel, which is in between Cumberland and Norris geographically. Smaller, but I have never seen it crowded, and the camp grounds at The Grove Rec Area are 2nd to none.

NC05LSV
07-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Just returned from Norris................it was exactly like you guys said it would be..........camping was not good...........water was awesome. Unfortunately, it rained nearly every day for the week but we still got some great time on the water. I think that for a big lake it has the best water I have ever experienced........well worth trying out for anyone wondering..........thanks for all the information all.........Patrick

Livindadream
07-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Man, we were down there at the same time. Where did you camp? Looking at the picture, I believe we crossed paths on the lake, but I did see a couple other Moomba, so maybe not. Weather did suck, but we were in a condo with a covered slip, and we still got out a minimum of 4 hours each day, and that we only on Wednesday when it rained until about 5. Heading back down in August. Hope its better weather.

NC05LSV
07-17-2005, 04:30 PM
We camped at the mountain lake campground which was pretty bad. The marina was not all that great either. After driving up and down the lake we found out that the good locations were on the other side and run by the state (ours was privately owned). I too saw a few Moombas on the water.........blue and grey XLV, a black LSV, and a couple of others that I can't remember the color combos on. We did most of our boarding just down from the dam on the North side..........what boat do you have?

Livindadream
07-18-2005, 04:03 PM
I have a blue 02 Mobius w/04 graphics. You did stay in a pretty bad area. Next time hang out around Sequoyah, Shanghai, or Stardust Marinas. Lots going on there. If you ever want some info on places to stay other than camping, let me know.

NC05LSV
07-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks and I will take you up on the offer. My family lives in Louisville and I live in Fayetteville, NC so it was around half way. We are planning on going back there every year to camp. I definitely want to find out more about the better places to stay. Loved the water at the lake. I think you were running around in the same area as we were........at least on wed or thurs.........can't remember which day but I remember seeing a blue Mobius