PDA

View Full Version : Surfing with Brian from Exile

cab13367
07-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Below is a pic of Brian from Exile surfing behind my boat yesterday. It was his first time going ropeless. He was pretty stoked! Brian is a transplanted Cali surfer so he knew what he was doing back there.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/58a0148c.jpg

sandm
07-10-2011, 10:49 AM
isn't he standing on the wrong side??
I knew those cali's were always a little goofy ;)

SC Ink
07-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Hey now!!

I'm not a "cali" and my stance is the same as Brian's...but I gotta admit, I'm starting to like riding backside on the regular side better than riding regular on the goofy side.

What's he doing in Oregon? Washington closed for the weekend?

What's with the trees so close together on both sides of the water? Looks like you are surfing in a river. That can't be real fun.

newty
07-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Now all he needs to do is work on his tan! Ouch Brian!:p

Brianinpdx
07-14-2011, 03:21 PM
oh boy! rough crowd here. Thanks again Al for taking me out. Was a great time. I think I've seriously got the bug now.

Ed - that is a river about 20 mins from where Al and I live. Oregon is the land o green in that dept.

Newty - @#$ Watch it! I know where your drain plug is

I'm looking forward to getting some more time with Al and demo-ing out the whole rack of boards he carries out there. Fun Fun fun. Now if I could get my daughter to stop worrying about getting eaten by fish in the water....ugh!

-Brian

brain_rinse
07-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Newty - @#$ Watch it! I know where your drain plug is
Nice! I'm going to be using this threat in the future...

Canuckle Head
07-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Had no idea you were an ex surfer Brian. You ever get out to the coast? Nice looking wave cab!

That must be the Willamette river. Looks like you're above the falls no?

I bet Cab had to turn the exposure way down on his camera to get that picture..... :p

Brianinpdx
07-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Canuckle Head -

I should dig up some childhood pics for ya'll. I grew up in Santa Cruz Calif, 3 doors down from a scary guy we used to call "one-eye Jack" His last name was O'Neill. As you know his company has grown a bit from those days. At the age of 6 myself and a couple of friends would "borrow" a long board and surf it 2 or even 3 at a time.

Pretty amazing to think at that age my folks had no idea I was in the ocean without adult supervision. But in those days, a bag of chips, an avocado or two and a skateboard was the meal of the day and provided enough range of the city to get into lots of trouble.

By the age of 12 I ended up moving out of the country to Europe. Two of my buddies went on to actually run the pro surf tour. Fast forward 30 years and here I was on Mike Mandleys boat listening to his system when they loaded up the wave and started surfing. To tell ya the truth... I was shocked how cool that was.

So yea... maybe this is my thread for the season. I'll post up some pics and ya'll can watch me progress this year. It felt good getting on a board. Even for the geezer like me 20+ years after the fact. Might get tan too!

peace!

-Brian

cab13367
07-15-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm looking forward to getting some more time with Al and demo-ing out the whole rack of boards he carries out there. Fun Fun fun. Now if I could get my daughter to stop worrying about getting eaten by fish in the water....ugh!

-Brian

I'll be out on the river every other Friday and there's a spot reserved for you and Kiana any time you can make it.

Nice looking wave cab!

That must be the Willamette river. Looks like you're above the falls no?

Thanks. Not a bad wave for just a 750 and a 400, plus about 5 peeps on the boat. Yes, this is on the upper Willy, real close to Newberg. Sounds like you've spent some time around these parts.

By the age of 12 I ended up moving out of the country to Europe. Two of my buddies went on to actually run the pro surf tour. Fast forward 30 years and here I was on Mike Mandleys boat listening to his system when they loaded up the wave and started surfing. To tell ya the truth... I was shocked how cool that was.

So yea... maybe this is my thread for the season. I'll post up some pics and ya'll can watch me progress this year. It felt good getting on a board. Even for the geezer like me 20+ years after the fact. Might get tan too!

peace!

-Brian

I'm looking to do the reverse - I want to do some more ocean surfing. Have only done it once, a long time ago. Will have to get out to the coast this summer and give it a go. I hear there's a decent break at Seaside, nothing like CA of course but it's close by.

Yup, let's document your surfing renaissance in this thread.

Canuckle Head
07-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks. Not a bad wave for just a 750 and a 400, plus about 5 peeps on the boat. Yes, this is on the upper Willy, real close to Newberg. Sounds like you've spent some time around these parts.

My brother and sister-in-law live in Lake Oswego and I have spent the past 5 or so years out on the Willamette and on Lake O. Not so much on Lake O as it had been empty for sewer line repairs/upgrades for the past year. Pretty sure it's back to normal now. Looking forward to getting back down there.

I'm looking to do the reverse - I want to do some more ocean surfing. Have only done it once, a long time ago. Will have to get out to the coast this summer and give it a go. I hear there's a decent break at Seaside, nothing like CA of course but it's close by.

Yup, let's document your surfing renaissance in this thread.

Seaside is a legit wave cab and probably one of the best left hand reef breaks on the West Coast not to mention one of the most localized spots in Oregon. There are plenty of other spots that offer a quality wave and a much friendlier vibe. Pacific City comes to mind. Great waves and a microbrew pub right on the beach for when you're done! :D