PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Bags

Gottop69
07-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Ok guys as all of you know I am new to boating.. I am getting better though... Well I think

Here is my new question of the week... I don't use my ballast set up yet and could use the storage in the front.. Should I remove the bags and box them up for a while.. My daughter is wanting to surf But I have read that some people do that with no bags to learn.. Also learning to Wake board.. this way I can get them off the tube more and on to what we bought the boat for..

Help a Brotha out..

SC Ink
07-05-2011, 12:00 PM
You are definetly gonna want to use ballast when 1st learning to surf.

Takes a bit of experience to go without.

You have the stock 400's or have you upgraded to the larger ones?

With your boat, I would definetly check into getting the 1100's.

Ya know...I wonder if Wakemakers ever re-sold the ones I had.

Might be worth your while checking into that.

In fact, I'll do that for you right now!!

e

Gottop69
07-05-2011, 12:04 PM
You are definetly gonna want to use ballast when 1st learning to surf.

Takes a bit of experience to go without.

You have the stock 400's or have you upgraded to the larger ones?

With your boat, I would definetly check into getting the 1100's.

Ya know...I wonder if Wakemakers ever re-sold the ones I had.

Might be worth your while checking into that.

In fact, I'll do that for you right now!!

e

Thanks Sc-Ed.. LMAO... I also need to upgrade the pump propeller.. Or impeller.. I think the one that drains the bags is messed up..

mmandley
07-05-2011, 12:05 PM
For your LSV I wouldn't get the 1100 there just not needed plus you will have to reinforce the engine bay side covers. 400 will do fen for learning on gong or light weight people. I do suggest you get 750s for the rear.

As for not using any bags and bagging them up if you don't connect the bags be sure to shut the main inlet valve off or the center will fill with water over time as it's below the water line. I made this mistake last summer and my bilge was commng on every 5 minutes

Gottop69
07-05-2011, 12:07 PM
For your LSV I wouldn't get the 1100 there just not needed plus you will have to reinforce the engine bay side covers. 400 will do fen for learning on gong or light weight people. I do suggest you get 750s for the rear.

As for not using any bags and bagging them up if you don't connect the bags be sure to shut the main inlet valve off or the center will fill with water over time as it's below the water line. I made this mistake last summer and my bilge was commng on every 5 minutes

What about just removing the center bag..

mmandley
07-05-2011, 12:10 PM
That's the problem if nothing is connected to the center ones they will leak water as there below the water line. You will have to plug it or just be ok with the bilge running a lot

SC Ink
07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
got a note into Jason, but as we all know - it sometimes takes a while for them to get back to us.

sandm
07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
you will need the center bag to surf. the more weight up front, the longer back the wave. the more weight in the rear surf corner, the taller the wave.

and as ed pointed out, the weight will def. help you get the surfing thing down. once you have learned, then play around with less weight to work on form, but more weight makes a taller/longer wave and more fun to play around on.
imo :)

SC Ink
07-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Wow! Jason got back to me already.

He said he already sold the bags I had, but give him a call and he will make you a very generous offer on a new set.

Make sure to tell him your the one who spoke with me.

Here's the deal - in my opinion of course....

The LSV's have the room to safely hold the size of the 1100's (compared to the OBV's).

You don't have to fill them to capacity, but it sure is nice to be set up to do so if needed.

Kinda like a midget buying a king size bed...he doesn't need that size, but it sure makes it nice for the little fellow to flop around.

kaneboats
07-05-2011, 12:24 PM
The center is not all that great for storage. It is connected to the bilge and stuff can get nasty up there when you slow down and the bow drops.

Shooter
07-05-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't know of any reason you can't store things on top of the empty bag. It doesn't take up any room when flat and will catch any water that seeps thru the lines.

kaneboats
07-05-2011, 12:39 PM
That's what I do with my starboard rear locker. I almost never fill the bag.

cab13367
07-05-2011, 03:02 PM
That's the problem if nothing is connected to the center ones they will leak water as there below the water line. You will have to plug it or just be ok with the bilge running a lot

Mike, his boat has the new ballast system with the Jabsco pumps. I don't think they allow water to leak thru?

cab13367
07-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Ok guys as all of you know I am new to boating.. I am getting better though... Well I think

Here is my new question of the week... I don't use my ballast set up yet and could use the storage in the front.. Should I remove the bags and box them up for a while.. My daughter is wanting to surf But I have read that some people do that with no bags to learn.. Also learning to Wake board.. this way I can get them off the tube more and on to what we bought the boat for..

Help a Brotha out..

You'll want to fill your center bag and your surf side rear locker bag if you want your daughter to learn to surf. How old is she/how much does she weigh? If under 100 lbs and you have a couple people on the boat, running just your stock surf side rear and front ballast full will create plenty of wave to learn on and in fact, will be easier for her than running 750's or 1100's in the rear. For kids, the large wave put out by the 750+ bags can be intimidating.

As far as storing stuff in the ski locker, like someone else said, there's nothing wrong with putting stuff on top of the empty bag but there's nothing wrong with removing it either. There should be a rubberized matt under the ballast bags to protect your skis, etc. that you put in there.

Al

Gottop69
07-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Cool... This is what I will do now just have to figure out why the pumps are humming to empty and not emptying them...

cab13367
07-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Cool... This is what I will do now just have to figure out why the pumps are humming to empty and not emptying them...

Did you check the line from the bag to the pump to make sure everything is air tight? If air is getting in, the pump won't be able to draw a vacuum and suck water out of the bag.

If everything is air tight, did you check the impeller to see if all the vanes are there?

SC Ink
07-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Gottop, one irritating thing about the new G3 systems we have...

If your battery runs low (from playing the stereo while floating around for a length of time for example), the pumps do not work real well.

You'll hear it running, but you won't see didly poo coming out.

I once had to disconnect the fill/drain line and let the water run into the engine compartment, to let the bilge remove the water.

Got two batteries?

SC Ink
07-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Just noticed one thing gottop...

you stated:

"I also need to upgrade the pump propeller.. Or impeller.. I think the one that drains the bags is messed up.."

why are you thinking that you just have one pump draining the bags?

Also - if your pump impeller was shot, water would not stay in the bag. You would be constantly refilling it (been there done that)