PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Line Question with Pic - what is this?

fahrer
07-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Seems I am having a similar problem to many others on the board. Recently been experiencing problems with my 99 Outback (carb) just dying and not restarting. I think I have a fuel problem and not electrical but am in process of troubleshooting using some very good info I found here on the board.

Anyway, before I start detailing my problem and diagnosis, I wanted to see if someone could identify this (I bought the boat used so don't know if this is original equipment or subsequent add-on). Is it the often mentioned secondary fuel pump that I have read about in the vapor lock threads?

E

gonracn
07-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I don't believe that is factory. What u are looking at is a fuel pressure regulator. They could have placed that on line with a secondary fuel pump.

fahrer
07-05-2011, 03:31 PM
I don't believe that is factory. What u are looking at is a fuel pressure regulator. They could have placed that on line with a secondary fuel pump.

Thanks. Is it common to put a regulator before the primary pump? I thought fuel pressure regulators were normally placed between the fuel pump and the carburetor in order to regulate the fuel to the carburetor. I have not found another pump in the line but will take another look tonight. I should probably look for a part number on that thing too.