PDA

View Full Version : New Mob LSV

helix_rider
04-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Hello all, I'm new to the board and today put the finishing touches on the purchase of my very first boat, and just wanted to share my joy with the group!

An '05 Mobius LSV, the color of the warm Tennessee sun, will be sitting in my driveway in a little under 2 weeks! How am I supposed to sleep!?!?! :)

I did have a couple of questions/comments.

1. Do any TN boat owners here use lettering for their boat registration that is something other than the normal, boring, black block letters? I want something that fits the boat, with a Mobius flair, however, I don't want to violate any boating laws and get a ticket. Any pics/suggestions?

2. I have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac, 6 cyl. 4x4. I've been told it will haul the boat just fine, although long hauls may wear the engine. Regardless (I can't afford a new tow vehicle too!), it only has a 4-pin connector, while the boat trailer is a 5-pin. Will a simple 4 pin -> 5-pin adapter be sufficient, or do I need to install an entire 5-pin plug on the truck?

3. Finally, I want to let everyone know how great Joyce and Tom (and Rick who gave my wife and I a pull) are at Marine Outfitters in Charleston, TN. If you live near Chattanooga, and are in the market for a Moomba (or Malibu), you need to go meet these awesome people. They have done everything I've asked and more. Quality people, quality products...I can't wait to get on the water!

Yellowmobius
04-07-2005, 08:10 AM
The truck should pull fine, I pulled mine home with a S-10 Blazer 6 cyl. As you mentioned long pulls may take a toll on the 6cyl. As for the 4 pin 5p pin connector. You will want 5 pin on your truck. The fifth wire disengages the trailer brakes when you are backing up (like backing into the water!) Try backing up with the 4 pin connected and you will find out what I am talking about.

seanpatsdad
04-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Helix Rider
I would just make sure you have a good tranny cooler in the truck.on a long haul that is what will get beat up if the temps get to high.I added one to my truck and dropped the temps by 60-80 degrees.Also helps if you can put it in front of the radiator and a/c condenser.the 4 pin will work but you will have to get out and flip the plug over each time you want to back up.Make sure you have your lights on if you do that to supply power to the 5th pin.Hope this helps.Enjoy the new toy.
John

MartyC
04-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Helix-

I live in TN and had some custom letters put on my Moomba to match the boat. They are kind of a dark gray and are not block letters. Looks good. I don't know how to post pics or I would show you some. Any type of auto detail, custom auto shop should be able to do it for you. As long as they are the right size, I don't think it matters. I have never been stopped.