PDA

View Full Version : Lake Michigan - 4th of July

deerfield
07-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Took these pics late this afternoon. Given that Lake Michigan is known for being as unforgiving as an ocean, want you to see it also has a gentle side during summer months when the wind is out of the south/southwest. The water lays down flat and is fantastic for boating of all sorts. You can truly head in one direction for mile after mile with great wake/surf/ski/foot water. Water is clean and clear, but cold - so bring a wet suit. It warms up by end of July. These were taken at the Highland Park boat launch, about five miles south of Great Lakes Naval Training Center. We stayed close to home today for the 4th of July parade and cup of coffee w/ good book at Starbucks. Maybe get out on the water next weekend. Cheers!

Suprahunter
07-04-2011, 08:38 PM
That's my home lake. Never a problem with wakes or crowds. We were at the southern tip Portage Indiana.

skiyaker
07-04-2011, 08:43 PM
absolutely beautiful- although I'd be tempted to put some downriggers on that supra and catch some salmon

skylar18
07-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Used to Jet Ski right around Navy Pier when we lived there....Good Times.

rdlangston13
07-04-2011, 10:16 PM
I went to chicago about two years ago in august and we went out on navy pier and that water looked as rough as the water 100 miles out here in the gulf.

kaneboats
07-05-2011, 08:47 AM
It really does depend on the wind direction. Headed back in Sept. First trip back in over 5 years.

BobP
07-05-2011, 09:40 AM
We used to ride our waverunners/jetskis/seadoos at Lake Street beach in Gary/Portage...best place to ride in my opinion. Can have days like glass, and days with huge swells with north/northeast winds. Most days were chop and weren't to conducive to skiing, wake boarding, etc., but great shoreline south of there, made for some great rides.

deerfield
07-05-2011, 11:01 AM
It really does depend on the wind direction. Headed back in Sept. First trip back in over 5 years.

Kane - Dates are in my calendar. Hoping to meet up with you on the 26th. Will reach out to you with a PM as the date draws closer. Day 2 of yor trip I will be on a flight headed out of town. - Deerfield

kaneboats
07-05-2011, 11:38 AM
If you're working downtown I'd love to grab a beef with you at lunchtime. It's definitely something high on my to do list.

deerfield
07-05-2011, 03:29 PM
That's my home lake. Never a problem with wakes or crowds. We were at the southern tip Portage Indiana.

Supra - I sure hope you and your wife are settle in, enjoying the hospitality of the south, and making the most of boating in a climate with a longer season. Please tell her I said hello. Thanks. - Deerfield

jmb
07-05-2011, 07:40 PM
I went to school at Great Lakes Navy Base, uh, back in 1977. Stationed there for a year. Way to cold in the winter. Had frost bite in my left ear that winter. -40 wind chill factor. Did try to swim at the Illinois State Park, it was cold water.

deerfield
07-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Way to cold in the winter. Had frost bite in my left ear that winter. -40 wind chill factor. Did try to swim at the Illinois State Park, it was cold water.

Jack - That's exactly why the south is looking better and better. Pre-Moomba I was not interested in moving from Illinois. Now that we have the boat and the boys are pretty grown up, not so interested in staying in a high tax state with cold, cold winters. I can only imagine what it was like to spend a winter in training at Great Lakes. We may be swapping stories when we meet up later this month in Tuscaloosa. - Stuart