PDA

View Full Version : battery question?

jmvotto
07-04-2011, 06:06 PM
how do you know if the battery is finally dead. one of my batteries wont start the boat but will play the stereo for while. i started the boat with the number 2 battery bep postion 2. then switched to pos 1 to charge that battery first. ran kids around for an hour. still wont start the boat. back to #2 to start the boat. looks like its not taking the charge. should i try a trickle charger or is the time up on it . its four years old. 140 hrs.

rdlangston13
07-04-2011, 08:02 PM
i have charger that tells me battery life.

jmvotto
07-04-2011, 10:29 PM
i have charger that tells me battery life.

what kind is it? i have one of those schumacher speed chargers.

Hoopskier
07-05-2011, 01:14 AM
If the battery has been fully charged and still will not crank the engine over, it probably is at the end of its life. Current draw to crank the engine over exceeds the battery's current capacity. The stereo draws less power so it is able to still power that.

I would pull the battery out of the boat, charge it on a regular battery charger (if you have one) and then take the battery to a shop, garage or just about any place that sells car batteries (like Autozone or similar store). They can test it for you and it only take a min or two. Most places that I know of still do this for free. Just because they test it doesnt mean you have to buy from them.

jester
07-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Both of my batterys went out on me this year. They would hold a little power but would not charge or turn the boat over. Put them on a charger over night and still would not start the boat. I replaced them both out and now I am running free and clear.

cab13367
07-05-2011, 01:33 PM
What hoopskier said. I'd put your trickle charger on it for 24 hours and if it won't start the boat, then it's toast.

jmvotto
07-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks everyone. will try this weekend.

viking
07-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Alot of battery charges allow for you to test the voltage as well.
Mine does.

jmvotto
07-19-2011, 09:55 PM
pulled it, charged it over night, wont hold the charge drops down to 10.5 volts. and goes back to 10% on the atrenght meter. put a new one in and all is well.