PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel not straight.

jmvotto
07-02-2011, 11:41 PM
is it possible that the steering wheel calibration is off. never paid alot of attention to it because it is a wheel. but the boat goes straight with the wheel off by 1/4 turn. could they have put it on wrong at the mfger or is something else wrong? should the tee in the whe be perfectly straight.

rdlangston13
07-02-2011, 11:44 PM
is it possible that the steering wheel calibration is off. never paid alot of attention to it because it is a wheel. but the boat goes straight with the wheel off by 1/4 turn. could they have put it on wrong at the mfger or is something else wrong? should the tee in the whe be perfectly straight.

the my rudder is perfectly straight the steering wheel is dead level, but when im in the water cruising it is way off, i think this is due to the rotation of the prop. kind of like the way the boat goes left in reverse due to prop rotation, the boat wants to go a certain way and you have to compensate by counter steering. thats my theory anyways

cab13367
07-03-2011, 12:56 AM

Joe, mine came from the factory with the steering wheel also not centered. I just removed the wheel and remounted it so it's straight. As rdlangston said, the faster you go, the more you have to turn the wheel to counteract the prop torque so calibrate the wheel going your normal wakeboarding speed.

millerda68
07-03-2011, 12:59 AM
I have a similar issue on my 2010 LSV. Going straight the cross bar that should be at the bottom is in the 9:00 position. I was wondering if there was a way to adjust the wheel. Just had not gotten that far in the forums yet.

deafgoose
07-03-2011, 01:13 AM
I have a similar issue on my 2010 LSV. Going straight the cross bar that should be at the bottom is in the 9:00 position. I was wondering if there was a way to adjust the wheel. Just had not gotten that far in the forums yet.

Yes. Go 22-23mph and pull the wheel off. Then place it back so that its straight. DONE.

jmvotto
07-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Joe, mine came from the factory with the steering wheel also not centered. I just removed the wheel and remounted it so it's straight. As rdlangston said, the faster you go, the more you have to turn the wheel to counteract the prop torque so calibrate the wheel going your normal wakeboarding speed.

so line up the rudder straight on the lift or trailer. then pull the allen bolts an re align. thanks.

yes i understand the pull on the wheel when underway. but this is way off. must have been a friday build. in order to go straight under trolling speeds the right hand of the tee in the center of the handle points to 12:00.

DG not sure i can change out the wheel going 22 mph. lol

rdlangston13
07-03-2011, 08:43 AM

you just have to be real fast

maxpower220
07-03-2011, 08:56 AM
My steering position changes to be "straight" as speed changes also. However, this is the first inboard boat that I have owned that did this.

cab13367
07-03-2011, 10:14 AM
so line up the rudder straight on the lift or trailer. then pull the allen bolts an re align. thanks.

yes i understand the pull on the wheel when underway. but this is way off. must have been a friday build. in order to go straight under trolling speeds the right hand of the tee in the center of the handle points to 12:00.

Joe, I wouldn't bother aligning it with the rudder. Just check it at speed to see how much you have to move it. You might not be able to adjust it in small enough increments if you adjust with the Allen bolts. I removed the wheel and hub together off the splined shaft as one and adjusted it that way.

deafgoose
07-03-2011, 10:28 AM

Why not? If anything goes wrong, get off the throttle.

bergermaister
07-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Don't know about you but mine doesn't have that Nascar quick release! And I'd probably drop the bolts or something fun like that. I'd suggest making a mark on the top dead center bold or taking a picture with phone/camera. Stopping and moving the wheel. I need to do this as well as it's way off at speed.

kaneboats
07-03-2011, 01:51 PM
I don't even notice this kind of stuff but now it will be driving me nuts. Thanks, fellas. You're making work for me.

VA LSV
07-04-2011, 06:09 AM
Turn the wheel so the boat is going straight at speed and stop with it in this position, drop the rack from the bottom of the wheel, center the wheel and re-attach the rack. Also put a little grease on the rack while you have it off.

jbgp1200
07-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Agree with VA LSV. Make sure your rudder is straight, drop the rack, straighten the wheel and reattach. Should take about 10 min.

drb59
08-12-2013, 05:45 PM
I noticed I have the same issue this weekend. Like kaneboats, this is driving me crazy and now I have work to do!

bergermaister
08-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Simple fix with the right allen wrench. Get up to your normal boarding speed, hold wheel that way, stop, fix, done! Or snap pic with phone of wheel position. Fix when you get home.

drb59
08-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks will fix this weekend.

NateHaskovec
08-12-2013, 10:25 PM
in order to go straight under trolling speeds

What are you trolling in a wakeboat for?

bergermaister
08-13-2013, 01:53 AM
What are you trolling in a wakeboat for?

http://img.xcitefun.net/users/2008/05/3947,xcitefun-cosmo-bikini-girls-6.jpg

NateHaskovec
08-13-2013, 07:56 AM
^ the exact answer I was expecting...