PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

hgvandy
07-02-2011, 10:36 PM
We had the boat out today with some friends and drove the boat around for a few hours turning it on and off throughout the day. We stopped for at least an hour to swim and the boat would not start. It would turn over, but did not seem like it was getting fuel. We opened up the floor to the gas tank where the fuel pump was, and when I turned the key, they said the could not hear the pump turning on. We banged on it a few times with a wrench and tried starting it a few more times until it finally started. Do you think I need a new fuel pump? Once started, it ran just as good as always. I did not shut it off again until we pulled it in, but just wanting to get some opinions before dropping $250 for a new fuel pump. I have tried to read all I can on fuel pumps, but still confused.
My boat has about 160 hours and is fuel injected.
Thanks in advance.

hgvandy
07-03-2011, 02:50 PM
By the way - I have never had a problem with the boat dying, but twice it has had trouble starting after we have had long stops. I am wondering about this vapor lock, but looking at my fuel pump, it looks like it is internal at the fuel tank.

hgvandy
07-05-2011, 06:37 PM
I have to give big props to Michael at Diamond Lakes Watersports in Hot Springs, AR. Took my boat in to have him check my fuel pump and fuel pressure and he did not charge me anything. Everything checked out and my problem is definitely the dreaded vapor lock. He said they get a lot of these complaints with the Ethanol in fuel. I added some Stabil and will do all the tricks that he gave me, which were the same I read on this forum. Hopefully I can find some ethonal free gas. Happy boating!!!!

fahrer
07-05-2011, 07:59 PM
.... We banged on it a few times with a wrench and tried starting it a few more times until it finally started. Do you think I need a new fuel pump?

Check #3 below:

If below applies to you then this might help:

Some of the symptoms of this condition are:
1. Intermittent delivery of fuel or low fuel volume delivery by the pump.
2.No delivery of fuel by the pump even though the pump motor can be
heard electrically operating.
3.Pump can be heard operating but no fuel delivery. When pump is tapped
with a wrench or other object, it starts pumping again.

The SOLUTION for these fuel pump maintenance problems is to remove
the fuel pump from the engine, disassemble the impeller assembly and
chamber, clean the chamber, impeller and its vanes, reassemble the pump
and reinstall the pump on the engine.

http://www.bakesonline.com/images/Me...mpMaintain.pdf