PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! Electricals are out

Ian Brantford
07-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Howdy. I am trying to leave for vacation right now and... many of my boat's electricals have no power. I got it back from de-wintersation like this and thought that it would be trivial to fix. No such luck. There is no mechanic on duty until Monday.

The main electrical systems work -- engine, guages, PerfectPass. The secondary systems are all completely dead. So, there are no pumps at all (including bilge), no wakeplate, no lights, no stereo or horn. Everything on those switch panels have no power.

I thought that the bilge pump was okay, but I must have been wrong. Otherwise, I could be on the water. However, I cannot launch like this. Can anyone tell me exactly what might fail to cause these two switch panels to fail?

I looked around all over the underside of the dashboard. Everything looks connected. I found a 10A and 25A fuse and they are okay. I am scurrying to find a curcuite tester now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

04OUTBACK
07-01-2011, 09:10 AM
left side under glove box... right wall.. there is a breaker switch... there is a lever that probably needs to be flipped back up..

Ian Brantford
07-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I found a small 50A breaker down there, right beside the main power switch (which was turned off when I got it back from dewinterisation -- they said that they found a bad terminal or cable that they invited themselves to fix without telling me).

The breaker just has a push-button that is kind of stiff and has no "notch" feel when pressed. No luck getting power to those switches yet.

cab13367
07-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Ian, look closely, there should be a lever that opens when you push the red button. Close that lever to reset the breaker. That should restore power.

Ian Brantford
07-01-2011, 09:49 AM
I had to look closely, and underneath, and to pull back the main power cable (possibly repositioned by said mechanics). It's there all right.

I'm in business! Thanks again. Vacation starts NOW!

04OUTBACK
07-01-2011, 10:09 AM
the red push button trips it.. there is a lever off to the side that will fold back into the breaker.. see if that is flipped out..

dusty2221
07-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Enjoy the vacation!!!

rdlangston13
07-01-2011, 11:07 AM
i trip that breaker every time i put the boat away to prevent parasitic drains on my battery

wolfeman131
07-01-2011, 11:20 AM
NICE JOB there Al & Brad getting our buddy Ian off on vacation!

Ian, you celebrating the 4th now since your Southern friends bailed you out? :)

Have a great time.

kaneboats
07-01-2011, 11:29 AM
He's got to toast american ingenuity if not independence.

Ian Brantford
07-17-2011, 03:42 PM
NICE JOB there Al & Brad getting our buddy Ian off on vacation!

Ian, you celebrating the 4th now since your Southern friends bailed you out? :)

Yes, we did that briefly! I've got Americans in the family.

Many Americans come here for July 4 because it's so much less crowded here at that time. While your highways are jammed, most of us are back at the office... many still exhausted from the July 1 (Canada Day) long weekend.

Thanks again for the timely responses!

Now, I might be making a similar, panicky posting tomorrow about replacing the steering cable. It is waiting for me across the border in Ogdensburg, NY. No one had time to make the border run on Friday, so it's up to me early Monday morning. Then I install it and hopefully get the boat back to the cottage that afternoon. <crosses fingers>

Someone posted a great procedure for changing the steering cable with minimal fuss, maybe even without taking up the floor. Now the Search tool isn't making it obvious. Does anyone have a link for it?