PDA

View Full Version : gas

Zihuatanejo
04-04-2005, 05:59 PM
how much are you guys paying for gas? It just went over 2.30 here in minnesota and is epected to reach 2.50 for memorial day. What a coincidence that gas prices go up when people start driving more.

sextons
04-04-2005, 07:19 PM
zihuatanejo
Have you picked up your boat yet? The ice is pretty much out on Prior Lake now, I know you said you might break it in there before you take it up north. If you take it to the main launch area be careful due to how low the water level is. The sand really forms a pile right off the end of the public dock and with the water as low as it is you might hit your prop. Last year we had to walk out boat out a bit before the water was deep enough to motor away.
Ryan

plumcrazy
04-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Hey,
Southern NH. $2.05 at Gulf self serve, all others around 2.10. I can't imagine what the marina will be getting. This sucks. Fortunately the jet ski is gone- that thing burned a tank if you looked at it funny.
Keep smilin'.

Zihuatanejo
04-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Sextons,
I havn't picked up the boat yet but plan to this week or next, it is at the marina right now they still have to do the dealer prep stuff. I am going to take it out on prior as soon as it is home I will be sure to be carfeull thanks for the heads up. I'll put up a post when I take it out. I know a guy on the lake with a couple of nautiques he wants to look at the moomba and see what it's like it will be interesting to see what he has to say. What boat do you have again? I'll stop by if I see it.

clark
04-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Here in the Atlanta Ga area, I put gas in my boat on Saturday on the way to the lake. $2.19 per gallon for 89 Octane. On the way home on Monday afternoon, it cost me $2.28 per gallon for the same stuff.

Is anyone running 87 Octane in theirs????

How about it Brian (Skiers choice), is it OK to run 87 octane?

These prices are killing me.

Clark

zabooda
04-05-2005, 01:03 AM
About $2.20 here. In Washington state you can get a refund on the road tax which is about 20 cents a gallon. I tried one year but the amount of work to keep receipts compared to what you get back is very little. Besides, after they calculate the road tax refund then they add the sales tax instead so it ends up being even smaller refund.

zabooda
04-05-2005, 01:08 AM
On the octane issue, last year I went to 87 octane and had no problems. I was really hesitant but I gave it a try and never had a problem. I have a 98 Mobius with a carburated 350 and running on water ranging from 400 - 1500 feet above sea level.

qb12
04-05-2005, 09:59 AM
It was $2.12 here in Tulsa. However at the marina it was $2.49. Needless to say I did not fill up there.

jburnside
04-05-2005, 10:03 AM
In the Metro Detroit area of Michigan it ranges from $2.25 - $2.40 / gallon. I put gas in my truck yesterday and paid $2.38 (89 octane). I suppose that's still cheaper than what the people in Europe are paying, I have some colleagues that came over from Germany last week and they calculated that a gallon of gas in their home town would equate to $4.50 (US dollars). I sure did like it better when it was under $2.00 / gallon. Is anyone on this board going to cut back on how much they use their boat because of gas prices? Just wondering.

Dave A
04-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Paid $2.25 sunday for 89 octane in Alabama. Not planning on cutting back, that's just the cost of doing business.

OnTheH20
04-05-2005, 01:26 PM
No cutbacks planned here. I use it even more the weekends I have to make the payment! :)

Buttafewcoe
04-05-2005, 01:33 PM
My solution to the gas issue is............I brung the boat, if they want to board, they buy the gas. My wife knows how to drive it. If I want to board, i'll put gas in it. If she wants to board, I'll still put gas in it. (fringe benefits come with letting her do stuff);)

jburnside
04-07-2005, 12:31 PM
I really don't plan to cut back either. I was just wondering what every one else was going to do. As a matter of fact we've got 2 long weekend camping trips booked in northern Michigan in June and August and we rented a cottage on the west side of MI for a week in July. I guess I better start saving now!

mobiusLSV05
04-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey, just got back in town to West Michigan to see the gas prices at a whopping 2.49/gallon. Somebody is gettin' rich! What about that 87 octane-- any good? Always run 89 in the truck.

jj29ca
04-17-2005, 09:18 PM
You guys don't know how lucky you are to only pay $2.00 to $2.25 per gallon. Up here in Canada we have been paying close to $4.00 per gallon for years.

If you love to ski, you just suck it up and pay it. It would be nice though if ski boat manufacturers would wake up and start building more efficient hulls, and maybe even multi geared transmissions - all would increase efficiency - hence the cost of skiing would be a little easier on the wallet.

Anyways, I trailer my boat every summer to Florida, trust me guys, I can't wait to start filling my tank with your $2.25 per gallon gas!!!

In regards to running 87 octane, i have been on remote lakes where you just can't get 89 octane - the boat ran fine - but I am not sure what effect it might have on your warranty - so don't take my word for it.

Will Watters
04-18-2005, 10:20 AM
I asked my dealer the same question and he said no problem related to running 87 octane. I have been running 87 octane with no problem on my 05 LSV (MPI engine).

I still have an unanwered question regarding ethanol in gas. The Indmar manual says it is okay, the Moomba manual says no way. At this point, I will not run ethanol in my gas (some gas stations will add this to their gas, especially during winter months) unless someone from SC can give me a hint as to why the manual disagrees with the engine manufacture's manual.

clark
04-19-2005, 12:18 PM
I have an 05 Mobius LSV.

I spoke with someone from Indmar and they said:

Good, fresh 87 octane fuel will be just fine. I suggest buying fuel in small
quantities so you do not have a full tank of fuel sitting around for more
than a couple of weeks. Fuel degrades over time and in a couple of weeks,
that 87 octane fuel may not be 87 octane any more and that's when you may
have problems. That's why we recommend 89 octane because if it sits around
for a couple of weeks it will still be equivalent to 87 octane, which will
not hurt your engine. If you do have fuel that stays in the tank for more
than a couple of weeks, we recommend that you add a fuel stabilizer, such as
Sta-Bil to keep the fuel as fresh as possible.

Clark

pjtatro
04-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Mine burns through it so fast it can't tell the difference!!!!!!!

mobiusLSV05
04-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Is Sta Bil the same product they use in the gas for winterisation? If so, Ive never had a problem with it. I think I will burn 89 in the boat for safetys sake.

mseidelch
04-20-2005, 02:37 AM
Here in Switzerland 1 liter costs approx. CHF 1.50.

1 US gallon = 3.7854 liters
1 CHF = 1.26 USD

So the price here is some USD 4.77 per gallon.... :-( <no comment>

Markus

smokedog2
04-20-2005, 07:18 AM
Yea but you’re in Switzerland. Where do you need to travel?:p

SD2

mseidelch
04-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Hi Ed G
I'm in Switzerland not in Sweden... in Switzerland we have a lot of cheese, milk cows, chocolate, alps, expensive watches....
Sweden is IKEA, Saab, Volvo, blond girls, .... ;)

04-20-2005, 09:15 AM
I just picked up feedbacks like:

Me:"I'm from Switzerland"
Answer: "Ah, north of Europe where IKEA comes from...." :) or

Answer: "Africa ?" (Swaziland ;) )

Of course we have also Saab here.
So Ed what do you need ?

mseidelch
04-20-2005, 09:18 AM
I just picked up feedbacks like:

Answer: "Ah, north of Europe where IKEA comes from...." :) or

Answer: "Africa ?" (Swaziland ;) )

Of course we have also Saab here.
So Ed what do you need ?

mseidelch
04-20-2005, 09:21 AM
BTW: I think so far there are maybe 3-4 Mobius LSV here in Switzerland. End of June (I keep my finges crossed!!!) they will deliver my XLV - which will be the 1st in Switzerland and the 2nd in Europe.... (at least that's what my dealer says).

mseidelch
04-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Just let me know - I'll put the new Saab engine on my XLV and ship it personally across the atlantic....

Thanks for the offer in May. Here we are still freezing (just had snow on the weekend...). Don't miss the link to a webcam of our port: http://www.portvidoli.ch (the meteo data is in degree celsius). <brrrrrrrrrr> (what is the emoticon for a polar bear ??)

smokedog2
04-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Ed,

He cannot afford the gas to go to Sweden to get the Saab parts. Besides, you will need Saab parts long before he needs Moomba parts.

To mseidelch’s pont on geography,

Unless an American is planning a vacation, we don’t pay much attention to the different European counties.

I mean countries. Whatever.

BTW while entertaining some Swedish exchange students I asked them if that was on the east or west side of South America. The look on their face was priceless. Americans are known the world over for knowing nothing about geography. Any idea why Ed?

SD2

P.S. I tell my kids I have to pull their legs, it is the only way they will get taller.

P.S.S. Ya feeling any taller yet?