PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal? Water coming out drive shaft.

Replicant
07-01-2011, 12:44 AM
At the base of the hull. I successfully installed my flush kit and gave it a go in the drive way. No problems, no leaks and engine never over heated. However, I noticed that there is a fair amount of water coming out of the drive shaft on the bottom of boat from the V-drive. Bilge is dry. :-?

rdlangston13
07-01-2011, 01:05 AM
the water is to cool the packing

cab13367
07-01-2011, 02:12 AM
Perfectly normal. Your boat has a dripless seal so water is routed to it to lubricate the seal and exits out the boat instead of the old style that drips into the boat.

Replicant
07-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Perfectly normal. Your boat has a dripless seal so water is routed to it to lubricate the seal and exits out the boat instead of the old style that drips into the boat.

the water is to cool the packing

Thanks guys. I had a feeling but just wanted to make sure. Never have had the boat running out of water.

Cheers,

Erik.

viking
07-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Perfectly normal. You can put a shutoff valve inline on the dripless water line if running anti-freeze through your motor during winterizing. A couple of us have done that!
I freaked out the first time I saw it too :)

deerfield
07-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Replicant - Here's the shutoff valve (blue coolant line) to which Viking makes reference. Easy install using plumbing pieces from Home Depot. When I winterize, the valve is shut so no antifreeze gets wasted spilling on the ground. - Deerfield