PDA

View Full Version : Water into the engine

Tro
06-30-2011, 08:50 AM
After loosing the left exhaust flap, we discovered after bringing back the boat.... it seems that water entered into the engine during maneuvers. the first thing we noticed was a loud exhaust sound, then the temperature came up to 240 degrees F, then the engine light. We shut it down , restarted twice to bring it back home. We let it cool down, it did not restart anymore.
I am looking for any one here having such experience.

Thanks

Moomba LSV 07- Assault 325 hp

phospher
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
damn, that sucks. I can't say I've heard of this happening before... A lot of inboards out there don't even have exhaust flaps.

riderite
06-30-2011, 02:49 PM
What happens sometimes is the engine gets hot and can cause a reverse suction in your exhaust that will pull water back up into your engine. Then what will happen is your engine will pressure lock. You can pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over to get most of the water out, dry off your plugs and put them back in and try to get the engine to fire. If it does it will usually blast the remaining water out of your engine.. Just be careful that it does not get rusty...

josemiguel
07-01-2011, 11:17 AM
think the exhaust flap have nothing to do with temperature coming up in your engine. Exhaust flap is only to protec garbage get into the exhaust system. You should check why temperature went up, maybe your engine impeller is old, maybe a plastic bag or any other garbage went into the water intake system (below the boat, in the hull).

maxpower220
07-01-2011, 04:18 PM
First, have you checked the oil for color and level? If it is milky brown or if it is much higher than "high", then you have a big problem.

The exhaust flap helps keep water from "ramming" up the exhaust when you reverse the boat. The water must travel up hill quite a ways. So, unless you were backing your boat very fast, it is doubtful that your troubles are caused by the flap.

High temps= Impeller, thermostat, water pump problems (in that order).

rdlangston13
07-01-2011, 10:46 PM
First, have you checked the oil for color and level? If it is milky brown or if it is much higher than "high", then you have a big problem.

The exhaust flap helps keep water from "ramming" up the exhaust when you reverse the boat. The water must travel up hill quite a ways. So, unless you were backing your boat very fast, it is doubtful that your troubles are caused by the flap.

High temps= Impeller, thermostat, water pump problems (in that order).

wouldnt your exhaust gases trying to exit the exhaust do that?im sure the pressure of combustion is much higher than that of the water on the aft in reverse

gcnettl
07-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Been in a similar situation. Recovered a sunken boat one time, engine was full of water.

First I would pull out the spark plugs and make sure the oil is not over full, if it is, I would drain all the oil and fill it back up with a mixture or diesel and used motor oil, just for lubrication purposes. With the plugs out, spin the engine over, this will cause the water in the cylinders to be pushed out.

However, the water will be pushed into the boat, onto the carpet, seats, etc, so it might not be a bad idea to cover with plastic.

By the diesel and old oil mix, this will help flush the engine. After the motor has been spun and water has exited the cylinders, you can drain the diesel/oil mix and take the filter off. Change with fresh oil and filter.

Go ahead and put new spark plugs in, wont be expensive and you will already have all the old out.

With everything buttoned up, you can use starting fluid to get back going.

Need to change your oil once more pretty soon, say 10 to 20 hours.