PDA

View Full Version : Simple fix...gone bad

Hoopskier
06-30-2011, 03:01 AM
So I thought I would tackle a quick little fix. My goal was to add a second ground wire from my stereo HU to my amp to try and eliminate some engine noise. The amp is under the spotters seat attached to the back of the bow seats. I thought I would do this after work, which is 1 am for me since I work second shift. Boy was I wrong.

Since it was dark I had my flashlight out. Mind you, this is my specific work flashlight that my employer purchased for me, its a pricey little thing. For some unknow reason I set my flashlight down on the vent hole for the hull. My vent tubes need replacement so they are currently missing. I hadn't even fully let go and yup, you guessed it, the flashlight fell down the hole into a void in the hull.

Cant reach it. Its made out of aluminum, so no magnets. Flashlight is too expensive to leave, and I thought it would rattle in the hull. Plus it would drive me nuts just knowing it was there. It was time to get surgical.

I pulled back the carpet. I had to drill a 1/2 spotting hole. Saw the flashlight. Had to drill a 2" hole to retreave. No onto patching the hole. I save thed cut out from the hole saw. I am glueing a peice of wood in across the hole to hold the cut out to glue back in place.

Hopefully when I am done, shouldn't even know its there after I put the carpet back down. Attached some pics of my progress.

New Guy
06-30-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm sorry Hoop but that is pretty funny. A little Murphy's Law in effect.

dusty2221
06-30-2011, 09:27 AM
HA! Thats about what happens to me when I try to "do a quick thing" it never works out.

squeeg333
06-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Quick fix? I don't think that's even in my vocabulary.

Sorry to hear about that man, but glad you were able to get it out. I'm sure your boss would be impressed with the story that you would have come up with to try to explain it away.

bergermaister
06-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Sucks bro. At least you didn't spend an hour or more going around and looking all over for where you might have left the flashlight laying! Older I get, more I do that.

"I Just Had That <insert thing here> a Minute Ago..."

<Beer>
<Wrench>
<Phone>
<Remote>

Hoopskier
06-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Well guys, its all good now. A two beer fix. I have the flashlight recoved. Hole was patched and carpet was reglued. You cant even tell that I was there, even if I point it out, until you would pull the carpet off to see the scar.

At to top it off. I did get my ground done for the stereo. I added a second wire right away for the memory positve to the HU. Both were sourced from an amplifier. And now no engine noise in the stereo!:)

A simple task that turned bad, but all is well and I got out on the lake. I enjoy sharing a dumb moment as we all have them from time to time.