PDA

View Full Version : Rattle when the boat is idle?? Please help!!

MikeyMike
06-29-2011, 11:06 PM
I noticed a rattle today at the lake when the boat was just ideling? It seemed to come from the rear of the boat. When I put it into gear it starts to go away. When I pick up a little speed it goes away. The boat seems to run fine. It almost sounds like something is loose? Any body have any ideas?

myster
06-29-2011, 11:40 PM
I guess it could be a number of things...it is a rattle, or an intermittent sound kinda in tune with the motor, like puck, puck, puck for lack of a better descriptor.....if so, have a look around the exhaust manifold for any drips or leaks. this happened to me and it was a failed manifold gasket at one port ( 4 ports on each side) probably not, but something to look at anyway:cool:

kaneboats
06-30-2011, 12:08 AM
Could be low on ice and the cans and bottles are bumping into each other.

MikeyMike
06-30-2011, 12:55 AM
No its more of a rattle that will speed up and slow down. Like something were to be coming loose.

I checked the cooler already and it was not that lol!!

DOCDRS
06-30-2011, 01:03 AM
check your alternator to make sure the bolts are tight. otherwise listen and try to pin point it , have someone else drive

tarkus70
06-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Swim platform? Mine did it at idle. When it's doing it stand on the platform. Just what I had with mine.

rdlangston13
06-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Just get it fixed before July 15!

MikeyMike
06-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Well looks like I have a another wedding on the 15th and some continuing education on the 16th but I think we will make Sunday. Looking at the noise this evening!!!!

MikeyMike
06-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Well that did not go well!! Couple of things-- I think the raddle is coming from the rudder!! I can get under the boat and move it real easy! Is that normal? Also I found I huge hole in the bottom of the hole. It's through the gel coat and into the fiberglass! Is that something I can fix or will I need to have someone else do that? I have no idea where it came from. Any help would be awesome!

If it's not one thing it's another.

rdlangston13
06-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Well that did not go well!! Couple of things-- I think the raddle is coming from the rudder!! I can get under the boat and move it real easy! Is that normal? Also I found I huge hole in the bottom of the hole. It's through the gel coat and into the fiberglass! Is that something I can fix or will I need to have someone else do that? I have no idea where it came from. Any help would be awesome!

If it's not one thing it's another.

can you post pictures of said hole?

Engine Nut
06-30-2011, 09:53 PM
I noticed a rattle today at the lake when the boat was just ideling? It seemed to come from the rear of the boat. When I put it into gear it starts to go away. When I pick up a little speed it goes away. The boat seems to run fine. It almost sounds like something is loose? Any body have any ideas?

Could be the drive plate that bolts to the flyheel. The center portion where the input shaft of the transmission plugs in has springs to absorb the torque when shifting into gear. If one or more of the springs are loose, they will rattle till they are out under load. When they start to rattle it is time to think about changing it. If the plate fails under load, it can come apart and cause catestrophic damage.

MikeyMike
06-30-2011, 11:51 PM
I'll get some pics of the hole tomorrow in the lite. We are taking the boat out tomorrow and I'm going to check the rudder when I have it in the water.

cgriebs
07-10-2011, 01:04 AM
My '06 LS makes a rhythmical noise from the trim tab being in a certain position (lowered) while idling around. As soon as I trim it up, the noise disappears. Try adjusting your tab at low idle speed. It appears as if the prop wash forces the tab to crawl around on the hinge, thus creating the noise.

It took me quite a while to figure this out. When I started messing with the trim, I couldn't believe it. Now, as soon as I put it on plane, I adjust accordingly. Problem solved.

JesseC
07-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Check to see if the bolts on the drive shaft coupler have become loose. Somebody on here had the nuts loosen themselves and the bolts finally broke and scared everyone in the boat....worth checking.

deepcove
07-12-2011, 01:23 AM
MikeyMike,

I have a 04 LS with the same issue....an anoying rattle from the rear of my boat at idle and idling in gear. I have been pulling out my hair trying to figure this one out.....I thought it was my rudder, or the swim grid, or strut bearing and even read about the springs in the drive plate. Then last night I read your thread and found the response by cgriebs and immediately came to the conclusion that I always have my wake plate some where between half and all the way down. So tonight when I went out for a ride as usuall I had this annoying rattle at idle so I moved my plate all the way up......guess what....the noise was almost competely gone!!!! This noise has been getting progressively worse since around 250 hrs.....tonight I rolled 880! I am not sure what part of the plate assembly has to be replaced to rectify this but it sure is nice to know where the noise is coming from.