PDA

View Full Version : Thread Sealant?

squeeg333
06-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Theoretically speaking, if a guy were to want to replace one of the GANN 90deg elbows coming off of the port side exhaust manifold, what would be a good recommended thread sealant? I purchased some permatex high temp thread sealant that looked good. Any other suggestions??

Here's a photo of this theoretical elbow - and by theoretical I mean I'm doing it, soon...

cab13367
06-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Teflon tape?

squeeg333
06-29-2011, 04:02 PM
I thought about that as well Cab, and have considered that as an option. I just want to make sure whatever I use, it holds under the temps that it will see as it's the exhaust manifold.

I assumed they used pipe dope for a reason though...

maxpower220
06-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Plumbers paste with teflon. It brushes on and is easy to apply. Excess wipes off easily. It is used on water heater installs, so the temps are close. Hypothetically.

cab13367
06-29-2011, 08:07 PM
I thought about that as well Cab, and have considered that as an option. I just want to make sure whatever I use, it holds under the temps that it will see as it's the exhaust manifold.

I assumed they used pipe dope for a reason though...

Yeah, I forgot about the temp consideration. Teflon tape is probably not the best for this application.

Hoopskier
06-29-2011, 09:51 PM
I would use teflon tape or the liquid teflon tape stuff as mentioned. That fitting is screwed into the water jacket of the exhaust manifold. The fitting is not subject to the high temps of the actual exhaust gases. Not by my boat, but is looks like the fitting is just plastic.

squeeg333
06-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Yeh, the fitting is some sort of reinforced plastic, so, it's not just plain PVC. I can't recall what it's actually made of - did some research on it a year or so ago. I have a few tubes of the Permatex high temp thread sealant, but just read that it's not recommended for plastic fittings. I don't think I want to chance it. Sounds to me this pipe joint compound should be good stuff, and is obviously recommended for plastic fittings and water. So, that might be the way to go. I don't want to have to re-do this work!

squeeg333
06-30-2011, 12:57 PM
I just talked with Indmar, and they said they just use Locktite. Seems odd to use locktite in this situation, as I haven't ever seen a locktite thread sealant. But I think the teflon paste sounds like a winner.

Mikey
06-30-2011, 08:51 PM
You could go to a plumbing wholesaler and ask for a higher temp teflon tape . There are various kinds.Also if you use a sealant look for one of the types with Teflon in the mix a few have this. Goes on a little smoother.Look for one for higher heat as well. Many kinds of either should fit the bill.

MikeyMike
06-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Ok there are several types of pipe dope. I have never had much luck with Teflon tape at high heats. What I would recommend is Recto Seal T5 yellow pipe dope. We use it on gas BBQ installs and when we solder copper pipes it does not melt off like the white pipe dope. Why are you changing the fitting?

squeeg333
07-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I think the Recto Seal would have been the best to use, but I used a Pipe Sealant with Teflon in it. It was just a white paste that brushed on real easy, and the elbows threaded in really well. I'm letting everything set up a bit before I put the water to it tonight.

I decided to replace the elbows because I had very slow leaks from both of them. I think the sealant Indmar used just went bad, or something. But, it should be good now - at least hopefully!