PDA

View Full Version : depth finder

qb12
03-30-2005, 04:08 PM
hey everyone, glad to finally post here. i picked up my first comp boat over the weekend. it is a 02 yellow outback. it is in perfect shape with 61 hrs. however there is no depth finder. what do you guys think is the best one and how hard are they to install.

thanks for your help and always look forward to reading some of the different post.

smokedog2
03-30-2005, 06:46 PM
I don't know brand but I suggest a through hull sensor. Ask for/about it when you start shoping

SD2

qb12
03-30-2005, 07:45 PM
thanks smokedog2. but do you know how difficult they are to install. i have heard it is very important on this type of boat.

hoping to get it out this weekend in oklahoma.

db

smokedog2
03-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Not hard if you are willing to run the wires and fuss with it a bit. The art is getting the hull and sensor contact in the right place and tight to the hull.

You might want to consider a fish finder. They tell you battery charge, bottom contours, hours, etc. If you want temp you need an exterior sensor be sure you use a transducer mounting plate (cabelas part #SS-01-0102). I own a Lowrance.

Where in OK? I used to live in Tulsa and loved it.

SD2

Brian Raymond
03-31-2005, 09:07 AM
The stock depth finder used in '02 was a Lowrance. The SC part # for the gauge is 102968, and the transducer is # 101094. Check with your dealer for pricing and availability. Brian Raymond

03-31-2005, 10:56 AM
thanks brian for the help.

smokedog2, i live in tulsa. it is a nice town with many "okay" lakes to get to within a hour (but not grand). however i plan on going to lake murray as much as possible.

thanks for your advice also.

db

03-31-2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks Brian for the help.

Smokedog2, i live in Tulsa. We have a lot of good lakes to go to. I plan on going to lake murray in southern ok as much as possible. Again thanks for everyone's help.

Where did you move to smokedog2.

db

qb12
03-31-2005, 12:37 PM
Brian, thanks for the info.

Smokedog2, I live in Tulsa. As you know we have a lot of lakes around here. Plan on taking it out this weekend to either Skiatook or Ft Gibson.

Where are you at now.

db

smokedog2
03-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Just North of Cincinnati OH

In Tulsa I was around Yale and 91st

I hope to retire to Table Rock Lake

SD2

qb12
03-31-2005, 02:35 PM
smokedog12, that is great, i learned to ski on table rock in the early 70's and what a awsome lake.

my office and home are around the 101st and memorial area.

what boat do you have.

smokedog2
03-31-2005, 05:22 PM
05 LSV that has yet to hit the water. Now it is just scheduling. I'm working toward the week after next.

Your boat?

SD2

qb12
03-31-2005, 06:04 PM
smokedog2, it is just a plain outback '02, but is in great condition. between paying child support and alimony that is about all i could do. but life moves on and i learned to ski as a kid and i think mine will enjoy it as much as i did.

i tried to get the ex to buy a mastercraft years ago but to no adval. i guess that is one of the perks of being single again.

did you ever go to skiatook or ft gibson and if so which did you think was better.

smokedog2
03-31-2005, 09:18 PM
In those days my only water sport was duck hunting. Ooligah was my favorite and still holds my personal record for the fastest limit. Two guys, 10 shells, 10 minutes, 10 ducks. The next day my friend burned more than 3 boxes of shells and never got his last duck. I also fished Eufaula. Both are too stumpy for a ski boat IMHO.

My favorite would be whichever had the best view. You define view.

Do any of the lakes have houses with docks?

I am fond of saying, “the only thing more expensive than a wife, is an ex-wife :)”

I sold the wife on the Mobius LSV but it cost me a pound of jewelry and a new Toyota Highlander. All in all, I got the better deal :)

I also sold it as “for the children.” A friend with an 80ish Supra showed up last year and my kids expectations have never been the same.

Attached is a picture of my pre-Mobius boat. I still have it, an 18” Lund Alaskan with a 40 HP Honda 4-stroke. It is a great boat.

SD2

qb12
04-01-2005, 10:07 AM
sb2, the only lake that houses with docks is grand. to big, to many 35+ foot boots.

it's suppose to be 78 degrees this weekend. a client of mine who is yes a professional bass fisher told me to go to skiatook instead of ft gibson till i get the depth finder put in.

highlanders are great. don't think you can pull the boat with that. i have a sequoia and it did a good job.

i also tried the for the kids with the ex but ended up joining a country club instead. oh well life moves on.

nice looking lund.

doug