PDA

View Full Version : Need diagnosis help. Boat died, doesnt want to start. Fuel pump?

tlatoani
06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi all,
Took the boat out last weekend and had a problem. It's an 05 XLV with the 340. We were there ~5 minutes, cruising at 25-30mph when the engine shut off completely. Would turn over but not start. Temp was fine. Gas tank full. Spent several hours parked while using another boat to tow for watersports. At least we had power for the stereo :P

We tried the vaporlock trick of turning the key a bunch. No joy. At the end of the afternoon the boat did finally start, would die at any speeds that made a wake. It ran for about 5 minutes total. I have a new fuel filter to try. Any other ideas? Just got parts to make a fake-a-lake so I can test.
thanks

spoon03
06-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Could be several different issues. You have to start troubleshooting. Try listening for your fuel pump to come on when you turn the key over. Did the gauges stick when it shut down? Did you lose all power when it shut down? That might get you started on whether it was electrical or fuel.

jiriki
06-28-2011, 01:00 PM
I was with Tlat when this happened and did a number of troubleshooting steps:

Suspected Vaporlock:

1. turned the key on and off a TON of times
2. engine started right up and stayed idle for about 2 minutes
3. engine stopped (did not have a chance to engage the drive train, we were attached to another boat)
4. turned key on and off a ton of times again
5. engine would not start

Suspected fuel not feeding engine:

1. Removed top cover
2. Found "bicycle" valve on fuel rails for fuel injectors
3. Depressed and depressurized rail with key in the OFF position- small amount of fuel came out
4. Turned key to ON position
5. Depressed "Bicycle" valve again
6. Fuel squirted out (maybe a tablespoon) but not constant
7. Repeated process again
8. Results were the same- Fuel squirted out but not constant

My only guess is that the fuel pump (either the low or high pressure) will supply fuel to the engine but only when it is initially energized.

There is plenty of battery charge available as the engine turns over quite easily

If we wait for the engine to completely cool off (ambient temp of 80 degrees), the engine will start but does not stay on long.

tlatoani
06-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Just replaced the filter. I put the output of the filter into a container and nothing comes out when trying to start the boat.

I do not hear the pump come on either...no noise from anything but the perfect pass beeping and the battery relay thunk..

Where is the low pressure pump? The input to the filter seems to lead under the main floorboard?

jiriki
06-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Looks like there is a fuel safety switch. The behavior we observed seemed consistent.

How do we troubleshoot the fuel safety switch?

JCoutback
06-28-2011, 09:14 PM
I have a 2000 Outback LS and have had continuous issues with my boat specifically with the way it runs. Well, I finally figured out where the water is coming from. The boat would stall after running about 5 minutes and then I would have to empty the fuel filter (which had a milky look to it). As long as we were wake boarding it ran fine, but if I made sharp turns as in tubing or turning the boat would cut out.

The diagnosis: the fuel vapor valve (on drivers side below bumper) would swamp when turning right causing the water to drain into the engine and then to the fuel filter. Tubing or any sharp right would cause the valve to go under water and taking on water. If I went straight or wakeboarding, the issue never occured. After a new fuel pump, fuel filters, cussing and frustration, the problem is solved.

Now- I'm searching for another stainless steel valve so I can relocate it to the upper side rear of the boat so it won't be exposed to water. Why they designed the location of this valve where it is on the boat is ridiculous!

Hope this helps someone.

Jeff:cool:

kaneboats
06-28-2011, 09:46 PM
That is really strange. Can you post a pic of the location to share?

tlatoani
06-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Ok, there is no power to the high pressure fuel pump. Tips on troubleshooting the oil pressure switch?

Jack Ellsworth
07-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Just wondering if you figured out what was going on. We had our boat out yesterday and are having the same problem. It's a '98 Moomba with Indmar Engine.