PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Mobius Heater Blower problems & water leakage...

cbaarestad
06-27-2011, 07:21 PM
I just purchased a used mobius from a dealer that gave me a great deal on this LSV and has a aftermarket heater installed when the boat was new. I dont know if its the heater or the blower not working properly because I can't get any air movement through the ducts throughout the boat. The blower sounds very scratchy like there is sand in it. It doesnt whisper quietly like my buddies but rather loud rattle.

Also, everytime I go out on the lake I get water seapage or however spelt usually around 5-7 gallons in a 30-45 min time frame. Where could this be coming in from, my guess is around the drive shaft that the gasket is shot or missing.

The boat only had 78 hours on it at purchase, now only 81hrs.

Any help would be nice! My dealer gave me 30 days from delivery to find all the problems mechanically that they would warrant so I don't want to miss something later that I get to fix over our long winter!

DOCDRS
06-27-2011, 07:57 PM
you have to get down and check the packing gland under the transmission to see if its letting more than a drop every 30 seconds. It may just need to be tightened. sounds like the blower motor is shot. 81 hours on an 04 is not very many for 7 years....10 per year....boat has prob sat for a few years. I'd make sure you have 4800- 5000 rpm at wot, check the alignment, was a new impeller put in it before you got it?

cbaarestad
06-27-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm new to inboards, but not to boats but what do you mean by wot? Impeller meaning prop? Prop was reconditioned during check over maintenance.

DOCDRS
06-27-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm new to inboards, but not to boats but what do you mean by wot? Impeller meaning prop? Prop was reconditioned during check over maintenance.

wot wide open throttle, impeller is what sucks the water in to the engine. follow the hose from the starboard side of your Vdrive to the round housing at the stern of the motor on your crankshaft. that is your impeller housing the impeller is inside, it is the heart of your motor cooling system

cbaarestad
06-27-2011, 08:42 PM
impeller was not replaced to my knowledge and I watched my engine temp purposely when I used it this last weeked to make sure I didn't over heat it. I'll pay attention to the WOT this weekend when I take it out over the 4th and look to see if I have more leakage than a drop or so like you stated.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it!

cab13367
06-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Congrats on the new boat. Sounds like the heater motor is shot - have the dealer replace it.

5-7 gallons in 30-45 minutes is a pretty good leak. Seems like it would not be hard to spot. Have you looked around the engine with it running to see if you might have a leaky hose or loose connection? Also check the shaft packing like doc says - it's under the v-drive. Let us know what you find.

Al

cbaarestad
07-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Got out to be on the water all day and noticed that I had an empty boat when just ideling and driving around. When I turned the ballast on was when I got significant water in the boat, which wasn't just contained in the sacs. I figured it had to be a connection and turned out to be a loose conection at the 3 way tee! Really happy that it was that easy! Dealer replaced blower and now I'm waiting for them to fix my heatercraft heater! All is now good on lake Detroit!

cab13367
07-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Good to hear it. Always nice when the fix turns out to be a simple one.

zabooda
07-03-2011, 11:34 AM
The single speed heater fans at least in my 98 Heatercraft are no different than the blower in the engine compartment so tear it apart and find the problem. Those fans are cheap.