PDA

View Full Version : Ignition key blanks

mnpracing
06-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I'm having trouble finding a place that can cut duplicates of my ignition key. The name on the key is "CH" and the number is "704". I know I've read about some that just swap the ignition, but I'm wondering if others are having trouble finding key blanks as well.

ian ashton
06-27-2011, 01:19 PM
I tried to find some a few years ago, searched everywhere I could think of locally (Lowes, Home Depot, ACE Hardware, ACO Hardware, as well as several locksmiths) and nobody could get a match to the blank. Weird weird weird.

Even the dealer can't order blank keys, they just get them with the ignition. I gave up my search and just leave the key in the ignition, lol.

04OUTBACK
06-27-2011, 01:37 PM
i had some extras cut a few years ago.. sorry I cant remember where now.. but it wasnt anywhere particularly marine oriented.. try a few shops..

I got in a bind once with no keys and picked up spare ignition set from autozone and it might have been autozone where i got the keys cut..

kaneboats
06-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Wow. I've had them done at HD and Lowes, but I can't remember if that was for the LSV or the older Outback. I'll have to check. If I can't find keys I'll swap out the ignition right away.

Replicant
06-27-2011, 02:27 PM
I had a similar problem. After about five different trips to various hardware stores, I finally went to a locksmith and he whipped two out for me in less time than it took to walk to the other side of the room. An established locksmith should have no trouble.

Moseley618
06-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Had some made for my boat and just went to the hardware store. They did not have the same blank as my original but they just matched up the pattern on the key and found one that would work. The blank they used was a Hillman Y11.

mnpracing
06-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Wow. I've had them done at HD and Lowes, but I can't remember if that was for the LSV or the older Outback. I'll have to check. If I can't find keys I'll swap out the ignition right away.

Yeah, my 06 OBV was no problem, it was either Home Depot or Lowes. I've been to the usual spots for my LSV key, but no luck. I'm going to try a locksmith next. Depending on the price, I may just swap out the ignition.

04OUTBACK
06-27-2011, 03:32 PM
looking at my key on my truck keychain...
The boat key is an AXXESS 80 blank. try that..

mnpracing
06-27-2011, 03:40 PM
looking at my key on my truck keychain...
The boat key is an AXXESS 80 blank. try that..

that one looks to be directional. Mine can be inserted into the ignition either way.

E4NASH
06-27-2011, 03:48 PM
I just had some made at Home depot a few weeks ago. The info on the key is Axxess+ 80

mnpracing
06-27-2011, 05:10 PM
I just had some made at Home depot a few weeks ago. The info on the key is Axxess+ 80

They must have changed ignition suppliers after 06 or 07....darn it...

jester
06-27-2011, 07:06 PM
If you misplace the key it is only like 3 wires so it is easy to hotwire your own boat. I also looked to find a place to make an extra key but no luck. Guess it would save a lot of time just to but a new ignition and swap it out if you lose both.