PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a wakeboard boat.

THERIDDLER
06-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Hello i am 3years old and live in South Dakota right on Lake oahe. I have been facinated with wakeboard boats for many many years.

Every summer i usually spend most of my time on the river either tubing, skiing, or wakeboarding. The problem is, only boat i have access to is my dads 17' fishing boat. Not the best at pulling anything.

I always seem to lean towards the lsv/xlv just because of the extra options they have. I do not wakeboard in competition or do anything like that.. This boat would be purely leisure and pleasure.

Guess my first question i notice there are a few different motor options as far as 325 hp, 350hp, and around 400hp. Those varry from year to year but i was wondering if its worth the extra dough to find a boat with 400hp+ or settle with 350? Its one of those things that if i know i didnt get the biggest motor i dont think id be happy.

Next is the size of the ballast. I know perfect wake, the wakeplate, are very good options to have. I was wondering how big of a ballast i should be looking for. They range from 500lb to 3000lbs.. I would have no clue which size to look for. 3000lbs seems like too much for just screwing around on the lake but i doubt 500lbs would be big enough.

Tower speakers. Are stock speakers good enough or do people usually replace them with aftermarket speakers. Size of amp and subwoofer matter?

IF there is anything i am missing please let me know ill try and fill in the spots as best as possible. I am heading to afghanistan in a week and will be spending a chunk of my money on a new boat. thanks.

Oh, my spending limit is 25k-35k

rdlangston13
06-26-2011, 11:29 AM
i think most people on here have the base 325 hp engine with a few of us having the 340 hp motor. i dont know of anyone on here who has opted for the 400 hp motor. My boat has the 325 and seems to run just fine to me. i run out of RPM range before i run out of horse power with the wake board prop.

Stereo options are vast, my boat only had a 200 watt kicker amp and 6 kicker cabin speakers. no tower speakers and no sub woofer. i learned about exile audio through this forum and now have a complete exile sound system with 3 amps, sub, and tower speakers. about 2400 rms power. i dont know the quality of the factory tower speakers and amps since i did not have them but the stock kicker speakers are actually really good quality and they sound good.

ballast, you will want at a minimum the gravity III ballast system which is 1200 lbs on the LSV. it has 3 400 lb sacks, 1 in the center ski locker, and 1 on either side of the engine in the rear. from there you can upgrade and go crazy will 1100s in the read ect.

THERIDDLER
06-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Thank you for the quick reply.

So what i gather from your post dont worry tooo much about stock speakers there is plenty of great aftermarket speakers that are excellent. The 400+ HP motor is a bit overkill. And boat not worth it unless it has at least 1200lb ballast.

Sounds right about what i was thinking.

What kind of price range am i looking for, for an 05+ lsv/xlv with lowish hours. For my first boat i dont need to get too crazy but want a great boat.. One that will last years. I dont much care for the outbacks, the ones with the engine prett much in the middle of the boat. That style is deffinately out of my option book.. I like them on the back end under the deck.

rdlangston13
06-26-2011, 01:01 PM
for an 05+ i would say anywhere from 25-35 depending on where you are and what options it is equipped with. search www.onlyinboards.com. you will find a ton of listings that will more than likely meet your needs

THERIDDLER
06-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Is it better to buy used or new for a first boat.. I would hate to buy a lemon.. Also, what's the difference from xlv to lsv? I see alot of people on here have the lsv and wondering why that model?

THERIDDLER
06-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Also, if bought new from dealer I could get it my way.. How much off of msrp do dealers usually go for a new lsv/xlv it possible outback-v

dru1974
06-26-2011, 03:09 PM
There is a lot more to understand. A mid engine boat as u call it is a direct drive and more ment for water-skiing and a rear engine boat or vdrive is built that way to have the weight toward the back for weight distribution. U can ski behind them aswell though. Know that if indeed you do want an inboard boat they are built for pulling and torque. Not speed. Good luck and I don't think a lsv or outback v require any more than 325hp but a xlv being a much larger boat may.

THERIDDLER
06-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Thank you that cleared up a bit. I didn't want this boat for speed.. Id rather have a pontoon than a speed boat.. Going fast is what my bike is for.. This boat is for pleasure and leisure

rdlangston13
06-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Thank you that cleared up a bit. I didn't want this boat for speed.. Id rather have a pontoon than a speed boat.. Going fast is what my bike is for.. This boat is for pleasure and leisure

the lsv is 21'6" and the xlv is 23". just a bigger boat but with the bigger boat comes a bigger wake and higher speeds required to prevent the wake from being washed. lsv can get a clean wake with no ballast at speeds as low as 18 mph which is good for beginners.

a guy on here just bought a new lsv and i think he paid 47k. so there is a pretty big difference in price. if you find a used one you like pay to have it checked out by a certified indmar tech and boat shop.

as far as hp goes, the xlv is only 300 lbs heavier than the lsv, i dont think 400 hp is even needed for that but it would be cool lol. it may allow you to run a high pitched prop and still have a good holeshot

THERIDDLER
06-26-2011, 04:08 PM
47k would be doable I would just have to finance.. The reason I said between 25 and 35 was I could pay cash.. I was thinking about a new ford raptor but I think ill stay with my jeep and get a boat.

does the xlv come with any extra features? Or is it just a longer lsv? Im no expert boarder nor will I ever be but having extra power is never a bad thing.

rdlangston13
06-26-2011, 04:39 PM
47k would be doable I would just have to finance.. The reason I said between 25 and 35 was I could pay cash.. I was thinking about a new ford raptor but I think ill stay with my jeep and get a boat.

does the xlv come with any extra features? Or is it just a longer lsv? Im no expert boarder nor will I ever be but having extra power is never a bad thing.

its longer and the ski locked sack is 1100 lbs instead of 400 and you have the playpen seating in the bow

Mikey
06-26-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm primarily a skier so i have a Outback DD.This doesn't sound like its up your alley but thats fine. I like the idea of going with the biggest motor possible ,if price can be justified,But in Boating especially, PROPS can EASILY make up for that so called lack of power.

Unless you are planning to run EXTREME weights etc or are going to pull numerous skiers/boarders etc,Like in ski shows etc ,do you NEED to go with the BIG motor especially the 400HP ,very likely NOT.

The standard /stock 325 hp or the typical upgrade to 340 hp with Cats should be more than adequate for either boat.

The difference you probably should look at are room/seating and size maybe due to typical rough water you may want to run in.

I have friends with the LSV and its a more than capable Wakeboard boat,surf Boat ,and even a respectable ski boat.The LSV is the Bigger /Badder Version really but will definetely suffer in the skiing department.

In my opinion go with what you need or can really justify needing and save some cash,maybe ,using it for gas,stereo upgrade etc.

c.rix
06-26-2011, 05:13 PM
If he is going to buy a new Boat Is the 325 even going to be an option I thought I heard that to meet epa stuff the 340 with cats was going to be the standard

THERIDDLER
06-26-2011, 06:34 PM
The 2011 build sheets still have the 325 on them.. The lake im on most days is choppy, if it gets too much like too big of white caps, than I stay off.. Ive been in an 18 foot fiberglass and a17 foot aluminum and the bigger fiberglass handled it like a dream.. The aluminum is rough..

Is the bigger boat with bigger motor bad for skiing because of the wake it produces? I do alot more tubing and wakeboarding than skiing.. I would pull multiple tubes but only one boarder or skie..

Xlv is definately a big boat and with the 400hp would be more than enough but its like owning a mustang with the supercharged v8 over the v6.. You'll never NEED it but you bet your ass you'll show it off

rdlangston13
06-26-2011, 08:04 PM
The 2011 build sheets still have the 325 on them.. The lake im on most days is choppy, if it gets too much like too big of white caps, than I stay off.. Ive been in an 18 foot fiberglass and a17 foot aluminum and the bigger fiberglass handled it like a dream.. The aluminum is rough..

Is the bigger boat with bigger motor bad for skiing because of the wake it produces? I do alot more tubing and wakeboarding than skiing.. I would pull multiple tubes but only one boarder or skie..

Xlv is definately a big boat and with the 400hp would be more than enough but its like owning a mustang with the supercharged v8 over the v6.. You'll never NEED it but you bet your ass you'll show it off

yes, the reason the XLV suffers in the skiing dept is due to the large wake. but that is also why is excels in the wake boarding dept.

and i dont think there is as much of a difference between a boat with 5.7l 325 and a 6.0l 409 as there is with between a mustang with a blown v8 and one with a v6 lol. but i would like to ride in an lsv with the 6.0 just to see how much of a difference there is

THERIDDLER
06-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Haha the mustang comment was a sarcastic similarity as in the 325 and 400.. :-) either way you don't rally need that much power but you love it and want to show itoff, to everyone

Moseley618
06-26-2011, 09:17 PM
If your lake is choppy get the XLV it will ride smoother and you won't have to stay off the lake. The 400hp motor will not make as much of a difference as a prop will, like putting bigger gears in the rear end. You will have a blast with whatever you get.

THERIDDLER
06-26-2011, 09:22 PM
What about 400hp and a new prop? I personally found out what a different prop really does. I bought my dad a new prop for his fishing boat, what I used to tube from, and the take off, plane, and top speed was alot quicker.. It also cornered better.. Great fathers day gift that I think I used more lol..

Is the price difference from lsv to xlv very large.. Isee the 400hp engine on new boats willadd 7k to the price tag. Which kinda brings me neck to an old question... How much off msrp do dealers go? The xlv msrp base is 54k

ericnel
06-27-2011, 10:31 AM
I have an XLV with the 325 in it. I have a lot of Ballast in the boat and I had to reprop the boat because of the weight. With the new prop there is no problems with the hole shot. I also burn less fuel. It did take 3-4 mph off the top end. I do not really care about that because I do not ski.

Ian Brantford
06-27-2011, 12:01 PM
I have the XLV with the 340 and my buddy has the XLV with the 325. I see no difference except more top end... which frankly does not matter much. It's an extra 400 RPM that practically drinks fuel when you use it. I don't regret getting the 340, but a lower-pitch prop makes much more of a difference. If you are carefully counting your thousands of dollars, I say get the 325 and put the difference into other upgrades (like ballast or better aftermarket board racks or a Fresh Air Exhaust).

Will you tow much? Have you used your current tow vehicle with 5000-ish lbs of boat/trailer? They tend to be better balanced and have less wind resistance than cargo trailers or travel trailers, but it's something to consider if you are towing further than around a marina and the launch.

Here is my detailed thread comparing the XLV and LSV for the 2005 model year:
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=1728

Note that the LSV's hull was upgraded for the 2006 model year. Until 2005, it was shorter, shallower and 300 lbs lighter.

On the issue of new versus used, I'm a big advocate of having a "starter" boat for a while. However, you appear to already have current experience with smaller recreational boats, so you are ready for an upgrade. I'd say the financing would be the biggest determinator for you. Just make sure that you have a marine mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection of any used purchase. It's money well spent. A purchase that has detailed maintenance records is worth more than an "as is" item.

Best wishes on upgrading your lifestyle!

THERIDDLER
06-27-2011, 01:20 PM
I have towed alot in my past, from my dads 3k boat or a 15k loaded house trailer... I have towed a few different boats and they all handler pretty well..

Do the tandem axle trailers come with trailer breaks?

you da man
06-27-2011, 03:05 PM

You will not need a 400hp Moomba. I had an XLV with 325hp motor and had 3,000lbs+ of ballast for surfing. I would not recommend the XLV for your first wakeboat. Look into the LSV. Some people get the Outback V for garaging the boat but to me the Outback V feels like a dingy and too small.

THERIDDLER
06-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Thank you for your opinion.. Can I ask why not an xlv? Others have said the bigger boat would be better for the choppy water.. Im leaning more towards the lsv but just curious why you against the xlv for a first wake boat

you da man
06-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Thank you for your opinion.. Can I ask why not an xlv? Others have said the bigger boat would be better for the choppy water.. Im leaning more towards the lsv but just curious why you against the xlv for a first wake boat

The XLV displaces a lot of water and is difficult to get a clean wake on both sides at slower speeds (beginner speeds). If you have kids or plan on towing kids the wash would make teaching/learning more difficult. Also, if you like to try new tricks/jumps at slower speeds (18-20mph) the XLV is will not get the job done if you want clean wakes. The surf wake is nice and big but takes some weight. The LSV is a great boat for surfing and clean wakeboard wakes down to 18mph all day. The one thing every LSV owner said about my old XLV was how much deeper the XLV felt, lots of freeboard. The seat bases are taller in the XLV as well so you sit more comfortably. As far as running in choppy water, size doesn't mean better necessarily. My new boat is smaller than my previous XLV and is much better in the chop as far as ride comfort and staying dry inside.

THERIDDLER
06-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Thank you, that makes complete sense.. So even with the wake pate and some ballast it doesn't make a clean wake? its not the size of the boatits what its made of that helps with choppy water..

I appreciate thee input

you da man
06-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Thank you, that makes complete sense.. So even with the wake pate and some ballast it doesn't make a clean wake? its not the size of the boatits what its made of that helps with choppy water..

I appreciate thee input

Hull shape and construction will dictate how a wakeboat performs in rough water. Moombas do not have a deep-v or sharp-v on the bow of the hull. Makes rough water riding kinda jarring...but wakeboats are designed for smooth water and wake shaping in mind. You should test drive all the boats you can though. Keep in mind, more ballast at the same speed sometimes will wash or curl the wake some so often is the case where you may have to increase boat speed 1-2mph to keep it clean when ballasted down (this is in general and not in all cases and speeds)

THERIDDLER
06-27-2011, 04:41 PM
I have never actually been on a wake boat.. None in my area.. A few come up to board but nobody I know.. Do dealerships usually have a boat on the water or let you test drive? Speed is not too much an issue..

I learned not knowing anything and the speed the driver was going when I was up was around 30+.. I didn't know any better.. So learning at 23+ shouldn't be too much sn issue if needed.. Im still fairly new to the board world and being behind a fishing boat really limited what I could do

jmvotto
06-27-2011, 04:50 PM
where are you located and what size lake or river do you ride on. On an XLV you can alsways shrten the rope to get to to clean part of it until you riding is more experienced.
the new 2011 xlv gg which i have pics of ( not mine)is a pretty clean looking boat.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=15213&highlight=ride

wake was pretty clean at 21 mph no ballast, wake was plenty large

THERIDDLER
06-27-2011, 06:05 PM
I love the look of the gravity games version, always have.. But think id kill myself if I spent over 50k for a boat..

The smaller more crisp wake off the lsv has gotten my attention.. Although I like the bigger boat I can always upgrade in thee future.. V2 looks sick with that windshield..

THERIDDLER
06-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Oh yeah, I live on lake oahe.. Its on the northern part of the missouri river between bismarck nd and pierre sd.

sandm
06-27-2011, 06:17 PM
take a weekend and head down to the nearest major city and see about demo's. if they have any used, they should be more than happy to take you out..

THERIDDLER
06-27-2011, 07:16 PM
I would love to but I head to afghanistan in a week.. Itll be a purchase when I come back

you da man
06-27-2011, 08:28 PM
You don't want to learn at 23mph bro, wait until you take a slam on your back and you'll understand when you're almost unconscious.

THERIDDLER
06-27-2011, 09:31 PM
I learned going 30.. I took a jump, fell wrong, and blacked out.. Id way rather haber my kids learn slower.. 23 isn't too bad

cab13367
06-27-2011, 09:37 PM
I learned going 30.. I took a jump, fell wrong, and blacked out.. Id way rather haber my kids learn slower.. 23 isn't too bad

How old are your kids?

THERIDDLER
06-27-2011, 09:59 PM
I do not have kids yet.. My future kids.. This boat would be full of mid to high 20s friends.. I have young cousins.and family that would also be along.

cab13367
06-27-2011, 10:19 PM
I do not have kids yet.. My future kids.. This boat would be full of mid to high 20s friends.. I have young cousins.and family that would also be along.

Reason I ask is that if you plan to pull kids or a timid wife or girlfriend wakeboarding, remember that the XLV requires a higher speed (23 according to YDM) to get a clean wake. My LSV puts out a nice crisp wake at 18 GPS confirmed MPH (see pic below) with zero ballast.

As to the engine question, the 325HP will serve you just fine. Just get an Acme model 1433/1847 prop for the LSV or the 1433/1235 for the XLV and you'll have all the low end pull you will ever need. The 400HP engine will just burn more fuel all the time with no real benefit other than bragging rights.

Finally, the XLV is not any more luxurious or upscale than the LSV - it's just a little bigger boat and can hold more people and ballast. I think you asked about this in an earlier post.

And there's nothing wrong with buying a used boat. Lots of them out there with low hours. Just make sure you have a reputable inboard mechanic check it out before purchasing since you are new to wakeboats.

Also, if you go with a used LSV, be sure to get a 2006 or newer as the pre-2005 are smaller than the current model.

Hope that helps.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20pics%20-%20public/0ef1469b.jpg

THERIDDLER
06-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Do they all come with wake plate and prefect pass? I think ive settled with the lsv for my first boat.. 06+.. I no longer care about the 400hp do either 325 our 340 will be fine..

Do trailers come with trailer brakes our just certain trailers.. I mis the water id love to ride that..

Thank you for the help

cab13367
06-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Do they all come with wake plate and prefect pass? I think ive settled with the lsv for my first boat.. 06+.. I no longer care about the 400hp do either 325 our 340 will be fine..

Do trailers come with trailer brakes our just certain trailers.. I mis the water id love to ride that..

Thank you for the help

They definitely don't all come with PP but that is easily added. I'm not sure about the wakeplate. Mine came with it as part of their "performance package". Pretty sure all double axle trailers come with brakes on one axle (mine did), the single axle trailers do not.

brain_rinse
06-27-2011, 11:23 PM
I think the LSV would be a great boat for you for a lot of the reasons already listed. I think trailer brakes are standard, my single axle has them.

Ian Brantford
06-27-2011, 11:45 PM
The XLV's wake starts to clear up at about 19-20 MPH. You can get it good at or below that, but it requires a fair bit of fiddling with the wakeplate and balancing weight (typically by asking a passenger or two to move around, which is quicker than adjusting ballast). But yes, it is best from 21-24 MPH.

It can also produce a clean wake fairly easily around 17-18 MPH using NO ballast -- but then the wake won't be as big. Oddly, this seems to work better on my buddy's 2008 XLV than on my 2005. I don't think that the XLV's hull got its minor revision until 2009. Am I right or wrong about this, anyone in the know?

The wakeplate and Perfect Pass were options on most models and years.

I strongly recommend the tandem trailer unless you get the LSV and have a strong need to move the trailer by hand or frequently in sharp turns (say, in a tight driveway situation). With the XLV, which is only 300 lbs heavier, the single axle isn't even an option.

IIRC, brakes on both axles may be standard now, but I prefer what I got -- brakes on just the front axle. With no anti-lock technology, this makes sure that one axle will still track straight in a low-traction situation where the brakes could lock up.

It's true that the XLV is not a "luxury" upgrade over the LSV. They have most of the same options. The following differences in interior layout may be of interest:

1. The XLV's stadium seat (rear-facing bench seat) has a seatback. The LSV's does not.

2. The XLV's bow seating is a "playpen" style -- it's a single level surface instead of seats with a well for your feet. The walkway is also raised and has front and rear pop-up seatbacks. Under this raised area is a very large storage area that can hold an 1180 lb ballast bag plus have more storage space on top for skis, water noodles, oversized front fender (highly recommended), and so forth.

3. The two-person seat that you remove from the port seating area to form the stadium seatback leaves a gap in the seating, which you can fill with the optional 48-quart marine cooler. It made by from Igloo and you can it buy yourself for less money. The "marine" designation means that it has a cushioned top and a 300 lb weight rating.

I am not sure when the LSV's tower changed, but the 2005 model's tower only have exactly 6' of headroom. The XLV's is 6'6" or so. That means fewer incidents of head trauma for taller people. On either model, having tower speakers still imposes a hazard.

cab13367
06-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Reason I ask is that if you plan to pull kids or a timid wife or girlfriend wakeboarding, remember that the LSV requires a higher speed (23 according to YDM) to get a clean wake.

Sorry, I meant the XLV requires a higher speed to get a clean wake. (One of the mods fixed my post above to correct it now.)

cab13367
06-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Ian, good post on the differences between the LSV and XLV. That should be helpful to the OP.

Al

you da man
06-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Reason I ask is that if you plan to pull kids or a timid wife or girlfriend wakeboarding, remember that the LSV requires a higher speed (23 according to YDM) to get a clean wake

I think you meant the "XLV" Cab...we know the LSV can sustain a clean wake at around 18ish mph

cab13367
06-28-2011, 02:18 AM
I think you meant the "XLV" Cab...we know the LSV can sustain a clean wake at around 18ish mph

Yes, I did, and corrected myself a couple of posts up. Thanks.

THERIDDLER
06-28-2011, 08:42 AM
I would rather have tandem axle over single axle.. They travel so much easier.. I may like the xlv now.. Decisions decisions

THERIDDLER
06-28-2011, 08:52 AM
I was in a rush last post.. The reason I like the bigger boat most tines when I go out there's 5+ people with me. Having those people comfortable is important. I know there is a big difference between 24mph and 18mph.

Are the wake plate and perfect pass almost needed? I would love to get into leaning how to wake surf.. Ill never do salom and rarely rarely ski

rdlangston13
06-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Are the wake plate and perfect pass almost needed? I would love to get into leaning how to wake surf.. Ill never do salom and rarely rarely ski

My boat came with the wakeplate but not perfect pass. I have the moomba cruise speed control which is a far cry worse that perfect pass. PP is on my upgrade list, just have to come up with some money one day.

THERIDDLER
06-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Does the wake plate make a huge difference?

sandm
06-28-2011, 11:15 AM
it's nice to clean up the wake, and it really helps when you are cruising on flat water vs chop to get the nose up. it would be a factor in swaying me to one brand vs another with the lower freeboard in my boat. some of the larger boats, might not make that much of a difference.

jmvotto
06-28-2011, 11:29 AM
it's nice to clean up the wake, and it really helps when you are cruising on flat water vs chop to get the nose up. it would be a factor in swaying me to one brand vs another with the lower freeboard in my boat. some of the larger boats, might not make that much of a difference.

wake plate brings the nose down, without it it runs bow up, wake plate helps shape and bring the nose down to flatten and make the boat run more horizontal with the water.

its a must anyway

THERIDDLER
06-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Ok I must ask, what is the free board? Is that the deck off the back of the boat?

jmvotto
06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Ok I must ask, what is the free board? Is that the deck off the back of the boat?

Basic terms how low the boat sits in the water ski boat vs a wake board boat.

ski boat driver can hang his hand in the water while idleing slow XLV, not going to happen unless your Shaq:p

sandm
06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
that's platform.
freeboard is the height of the boat that's out of the water. the higher the freeboard, theoretically, the dryer the ride as the water has to splash higher to get into the boat. a higher freeboard in a wakeboat will allow more ballast when surfing as it will allow the boat to take on more weight before the rear is in the water.

THERIDDLER
06-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Ah ok.. That was confusing me for awhile.

you da man
06-28-2011, 11:51 AM
that's platform.
freeboard is the height of the boat that's out of the water. the higher the freeboard, theoretically, the dryer the ride as the water has to splash higher to get into the boat. a higher freeboard in a wakeboat will allow more ballast when surfing as it will allow the boat to take on more weight before the rear is in the water.

Higher freeboard also allows for a more comfortable interior because there's also more depth in the hull to have taller seat bases and/or taller seat backs. A higher freeboard tends to give a "safer" feel.

THERIDDLER
06-28-2011, 12:08 PM
How much longer is the free board on the xlv than the lsv?

jmvotto
06-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Look in the photos of each (at the top of the page)and they boat sit still in the water

06-28-2011, 12:20 PM
We were out riding last night with a few beginners and without any ballast, we had a clean wake at 20mph on a shorter (60ft) rope.

I have an 08 and that was the year they made the hull change. The XLV does require a little more speed then the LSV for a cleaner wake but if you don't use any ballast (or if you do just the front) you can get a clean wake as slower speeds, but 18 is quite slow. In my opinion, if you have to ride at speeds like 18, there is no reason to be using any ballast anyways. The wake will be plenty big enough at that slow speed to jump without any weight.

Some basic principals of wakes:

(18-21)
Slower speed wakes are taller but softer and wider
Slower speed wakes require shorter ropes to get to the clean lip
Slower speeds are best for beginers

(22-25)
Faster speed wakes are firmer and narrower, but slightly smaller
Faster speed wakes let you ride a longer rope to get more speed and air

Ballast in the front brings the nose down and mellows out the wake while adding size
Ballast in the rear increase size of the wake but also increases steepness.
Adding ballast can require adding on a little speed.

Wake Plate all the way down (Nose down) makes the wake less steep and cleaner
Wake Plate all the way up (Nose up) makes the wake steeper and can cause the wake to wash over.

THERIDDLER
06-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Makes sense to me.. Ive just started to learn and actually land small jumps.. Behind a fishing boat is tough..

I think ill end up to the best boat for the price..

should the maint. Check be sellers responsibility or the buyers? Also I take it buying from a respected forum member would be better than fleebay..

How reliable is only inboard??

Also, are supras pretty much luxury moombas?? They look pretty much the same cept more options and accessories.. (i don't mean to offend anyone)

deerfield
06-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Also, are supras pretty much luxury moombas?? They look pretty much the same cept more options and accessories.. (i don't mean to offend anyone)

No offense taken. Good question. Moomba and Supra are built at the same factory in Tennessee. One production line for both brands. Hull construction is identical. Engines are the same. Difference is in options and features that factor in after the hull, engine, and drive train are complete.

THERIDDLER
06-28-2011, 11:29 PM
So its like cady to a chevy and a lincoln to a ford?

deerfield
06-28-2011, 11:42 PM
So its like cady to a chevy and a lincoln to a ford?

Probably a pretty good comparison, although I'm not a real car buff. These pics were taken in March when I toured the factory. Both boats were built under the same roof, by the same team, using the same build techniques, in the same production line. Only after the hulls were assembled and engines installed that the differences appeared. It was all in finishing and options.

Hoopskier
06-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Probably a better comparison is Chevy vs GMC or Cadillac. Or a different comparison Ford vs Lincoln. Under the same parent company but differet brands.

THERIDDLER
06-28-2011, 11:56 PM
was just touring the supra website and was looking at the supra worlds edition lol.

I really like the tower on the supras, but than again the new v2 tower on the moombas is pretty nice. Dont think ill be able to fork out enough cash for a new moomba though.

If supras and moombas are the same boat(pretty much), will the supra tower fit on the moomba boat?

I also like the new windshileds in the supra/moomba. They have a pretty sleek look to them

you da man
06-29-2011, 12:06 AM
IMO, Supras are more refined than Moombas. It's apparent in the quality of the interior fit, finish, and details. Supras come standard with heavier vinyl and carpeting for example which give the boat a richer, more quality feel. Of course that feel does come with a price. The new lines of Supras are sexy, especially the 242 with the new tower...it's a perfect match. But like others have said, Moomba and Supra will use the same power and drive components., same ballast systems, and pretty much same or similar electronics (except Supra Vision system).

rdlangston13
06-29-2011, 01:09 AM
i dont like the way the 242 dips so low in the front. the angle the nose tilts down is was extreme and makes it look like a bird beak IMO. i would totally take a 22SSV or whatever the smaller one is

THERIDDLER
06-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Is there a difference from sunsport and launch?

A 242 would be awesome if I had 75k