PDA

View Full Version : Radio not working after huge wave!!

MikeyMike
06-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Today we hit a HUGE wave going slow and swamped the front of the boat. Ever since the radio want come on. You can hear the speakers but no music. Any ideas? One good thing the boat can hold up to some big waves! LOL

rdlangston13
06-24-2011, 08:18 PM
might want to check the amp and make sure it did not get wet. i have heard of getting amps wet this way. where were you when you took a wave that big?

EarmarkMarine
06-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Mike,
And for anyone else who has this experience.
Turn the electronics off immediately. The chances of permanent damage increase ten fold if current is flowing while the electronics are wet.
As soon as possible pull the electronics, source unit, amplifiers, etc. and open up the chassis. Dry out all circuitry with a hair dryer (but not a paint stripper type heat gun).
Spray any areas that got wet with 'tuner wash'. Lighty scrub any area that shows signs of corrosion, a white film deposit or water spots with a very soft bristle tooth brush. Rinse with tuner wash and allow to dry.
This gives you a fighting chance if nothing was actually burned due to the water while operational. No promises.

David
Earmark Marine

MikeyMike
06-24-2011, 08:53 PM
The good thing I'M pretty sure the amp or the wiring did not get wet! I havent really got real into it yet. We were at lake Travis. Found out that things are a little tite there and the chop can get big real fast. How you think I can trouble shoot it?