PDA

View Full Version : Stump trimming: Shaft repair, Strut repair, straightening?

pecanflyboy
06-23-2011, 08:16 PM
I was out trimming the stumps on the lake yesterday with my 2001 Mobius. Big vibration above idle, so we limped home. Fortunately the stump missed the hull and only impacted the prop, and possibly the strut. Here are the results (advice, please!):

Prop is tweeked: I'll take it to my prop guy for repair.

Shaft is bent: I actually sheared the key in the coupler. The key splines look to be 90 degrees from each other, so I don't think it twisted. I chucked it up in a lathe, and it's at least .090" out of true. My prop guy recommended a local shop that will straighten the shaft at an hourly rate. I can get the A.R.E. shaft setup for $315 from skidim. What do you guys think?

Strut is slightly bent: The strut looks to be bent, but not enough to allow me to remove the drive shaft without hitting the rudder. It made me question whether is was actually bent, or made that way. Are these things manufactured with a bend? Can I repair or bend it back?

Also, I'll be replacing the strut bearings. I'm thinking about using the XPC bearings instead of the brass/rubber. Comments?

Jimmy

DOCDRS
06-23-2011, 10:14 PM
The strut is supposed to be offset from the rudder. I would definitely get the new shaft , why spend 250 to try and straighten ,and what is there spec to, when you can get a brand new perfect one. JMO. Take a pic from the back of the boat to let us see. Hope your rudder didn't get wacked as well. How far is the alignment out?

pecanflyboy
06-24-2011, 10:46 AM
The strut is definately out of alignment and bent. This looks like a critical alignment, so I'm thinking my only option is to buy a new one? The only company that I know of that sells struts is Elbert's: http://www.elberts.com/

Any other suggestions?

The shaft guy is on the way to my prop guy, so I'll see what he says about the shaft. I agree with you on the new shaft. For $350 I'm also getting a new coupler, keys, etc.

Ironically, as we emptied the fat sacs and gathered everything up to limp home, another local boater was out trying to mark the stumps. Just my luck.

Jimmy

04OUTBACK
06-24-2011, 11:04 AM
www.elberts.com is a great resource as well.
They are the MFG of ARE (the E stands for Elbert)
Small operation.. lots of info on their site and i think Mr Elbert answers the phone.

He'll tell you what tools you HAVE to have and what you dont .. he sells a bunch of tools for prop/shaft replacement..

pecanflyboy
06-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Is there a direct source for the strut? One of the boat dealers mentioned South East Foundries? Can you buy direct?

bergermaister
06-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Out of curiosity - I'm wondering the cost and time involved with doing this DIY vs. an insurance claim?

Had a similar "very bad day" a few years ago. Wiped out all the running gear, rudder, spider cracks in the fiberglass and all. Luckily only above an idle and about 200ft from the boat ramp but still nasty.

I'm thinking parts alone would have been a lot more than my deductible.

pecanflyboy
06-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Out of curiosity - I'm wondering the cost and time involved with doing this DIY vs. an insurance claim?

I'm thinking parts alone would have been a lot more than my deductible.

I've been running down this issue all day. I talked to State Farm, and it sounds like all they will want is an estimate from the dealer. I made sure the dealer knows it's an insurance quote. At $95 an hour, it won't be cheap.

DIY, I was able to order everything from SKIDIM.com

A.R.E. Shaft system (includes coupling and hardware) = $315 ($350 from Elberts)
45.7" 1" DIA 4" coupling

Strut 103082 or 1051L 15degree 1" including bearings = $198 ($400 from Elberts)

BTW, if you type in "USA" to the promotional code, you get 10% off!

Prop will probably cost about $100 to repair.

So, I'm guessing that I will be able to put some $$ in my pocket since I'm doing the labor, myself.

J

bergermaister
06-24-2011, 04:03 PM
Ah gotcha. If you have the time and the skill I'd say go for it and save / make yourself some coin in the process. 'Tis the season for underwater hit claims.

Are you sure the cooler didn't tip over and the contents spill out and ruin your carpet? Couple wake/surfboards fell off the tower, ripped up your vinyl on the way down and got cracked or broken? And of course the stereo quit working and amps/speakers all fried... :rolleyes: JK