PDA

View Full Version : high oil pressure

viking
06-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Pushing 175 at 4400rpms. What could it be? Fresh oil and filtr last fall at winterize. First weekend out at the lake and worried it may b bust? Advice?

yearround
06-23-2011, 07:25 PM
i think the oil pressure is always high at high rpm, maybe i should pay more attention? im sure one of the more intelligent gear heads will answer this properly.

glad you made it out finally!

rdlangston13
06-23-2011, 07:35 PM
i did not even know my oil pressure gauge read 175 psi..

papou
06-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Higher than normal oil pressure is usually caused by a stuck pressure relief valve in the oil pump assembly.

viking
06-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Typo 75 sorry

KSmith
06-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Whew, 175 and I thought you'd be blowing oil seals!

I think it may be fine, I'd have to look at my gauge, it runs around 40at idle which is about middle of the gauge range and runs about 3/4 at speed, probably close to 60 I'd guess. Is there anything in the manual about "normal" oil pressure values?

hgvandy
06-23-2011, 11:04 PM
I hope it is normal because mine does the same thing.

viking
06-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks Ksmith! Ill check the manual but I don't remember it running that close to the higher end. Who knows, maybe it had before? Just overly worried since I finally got the boat out and winterized myself? Any body else wanna chime in? I thought maybe a bad oil filter?

Suprahunter
06-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Check it with a real oil pressure gauge. The dash gauge isn't the most accurate.

mmandley
06-24-2011, 09:33 AM
75 is not bad at full throttle mine runs 45 to 60 at operating RPMs 3K and below. As long as its not pegging the guage out, high pressure is not nearly as much a problem as low pressure.

Also as the oil wears in a bit the pressure will go down, it will also fluctuate with engine temp from the water in the lake.

Lastly what type of oil are you running? If its 40w thats a pretty normal pressure, its its 50w then its completly normal as this oil is pretty thick.

If you really concerned get an external gauge to read it, also you can pull off the oil filter, drain it and look at the oil make sure it looks normal and such. This way its only a 5 dollar filter replacement. Or you can reinstall it.

Hydrofoiljunky
06-24-2011, 09:46 AM
I was just out foiling two days ago and mine reads the same. I thought I remembered one of the gear heads saying if that oil pressure does not raise up when you hit the throttle you have problems.

KSmith
06-24-2011, 09:56 AM
75 is not bad at full throttle mine runs 45 to 60 at operating RPMs 3K and below. As long as its not pegging the guage out, high pressure is not nearly as much a problem as low pressure...

Good point, I bet mine would swing over around 75 if I were running 4400, I rarely push it past 3500, I'm in no hurry, and I am cheap I guess, I try t conserve gas for play time and not burn it off in transit... ;-) I have on rare occassion had to open her up to WOT, gotta give some of those IO boats a run for it... not that I can beat most of them LOL... my boat pulls, theirs run fast...

viking
06-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Good points guys! Thanks! Ill keep a close eye one it. Pennzoil 15-40 marine as rhe manual states. Searched the town we r in and can't find it anywhere. Was going 2 replace the filter and replace lost oil but not here in the boonies. Can't find the same oil so I'm gonna just watch it. Enjoy the weekend!

viking
07-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Just an update on the weekend. Watched the pressure like a hawk. The oil pressure would sit around 45-50 at idle and then quickly increase to 70-75 while running most of the time around 2800-3500rpms. When running WOT at about 4000-4400rpms it would push 75-78 on the high end. It seemed to always be above 40 (middle of the gauge) at all times.

It ran great and everything I read low oil pressure is the thing to worry about.
Checked the oil (didn't pull the filter) and great levels and still looks new since this was only the first time out.

We'll see what happens as the oil breaks down? Running Pennzoil Marine 15-40. Nothing in manual about normal levels?

utilityvehicle
07-02-2011, 03:14 PM
I have the same boat and my oil pressure runs the exact same, no issue

mmandley
07-03-2011, 12:54 PM
As the oil gets older it will do 2 things mainly. 1 sheer this is when you have a 40wt oil and after time you have it tested and it's now 30wt oil much more common in Diesels such as my 6.0 because it uses the oil to fire my injectors. It pressurizes it to 4kpsi and that causes oil sheer over time.

2 it mainly loses the detergents and chemicals that make oil protect the metal. This is what causes sludge in your engine. Oil breaks down to it's lowest form and becomes gummy.

Just change your oil every season or 100 hours and you should be golden.

squeeg333
07-05-2011, 12:31 PM
It's funny how I almost half the time, I notice something interesting/different/confusing on my boat, and there's post on here about it.

I noticed the oil pressure reading this weekend, as under load it was higer on the gauge. It's obviously been WAY too long since I've had her in the water (first time out this weekend since September), so, of course I'm hyper sensitive to anything that seems out of the ordinary.

I'm glad to hear that this type of pressure increase is normal. Not a bad idea to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't 'redline' or doesn't register, but other than that I figure that I was good to go!

viking
07-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Sqeeg...........that's the main problem. NOT ENOUGH BOAT TIME!!

I was overly sensitive to everything since I finally got the boat out and that's been the 1 and only time so far this year. Got most of the summer booked up though so I hope to catch up on water time (Hope you do too) :D

squeeg333
07-05-2011, 03:23 PM
There's never enough boating time no matter how much you get out! I think thats the crux of being a boat owner/water sport lover!!