PDA

View Full Version : When is it to damn windy

Gottop69
06-23-2011, 09:44 AM
I was just wondering.. 2 weekends I took the boat out this year it was 8-10 mph winds it was not fun but could still tube and try and surf...

The next 2 weekends it was 15-20 mph winds.. so we just threw out the anchor and went swimming...

And this weekend its up to 20 mph gust and 15 mph winds...

So my question is when is it not fun or safe to you guys to take the boat out.. I had this fight with my wife last weekend about If we cant have fun it isn't worth dropping in the water.. Hell we have a pool.. So I guess I wanna see if I am playing it to safe or making the right call...

P.s.. The day it was real windy and we tubed my daughter and a friend almost got hit by another boat.. Maybe due to the waves.. Or wake.. Not sure just put a bad feeling in my gut..

jpetty3023
06-23-2011, 10:23 AM
I went out this weekend in 30mph. Had a crap week at work and needed some away time. Boat is fine but it does limit some of the fun. We have cliffs that the south wind so you go from white caps to almost glass once you tuck in behind the cliff. Winds also dictate which ramp I launch from but here is my general rule..... If the NWS issues a wind advisory and adds the boaters caution I will stay off, they don't issue that to much. 10-15 mph winds are every day in Texas as you know so I'm in on days like that

Ian Brantford
06-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Waves could possibly deliver enough visual noise that less-skilled drivers would be less likely to notice a the head of someone who's fallen in the water. The only solution would be to find a less-crowded spot.

One other riding activity that's much more pleasant than a surface sport with 15 MPH winds is hydrofoiling. It's best to have flat water to learn it, but once you do, 1 foot chop is still in the useful range for riding. Count on $3000 or so for a good hydrofoil.

But yes, when I know ahead of time that it's going to be 15+ MPH, I usually cancel boating. One time I joined another crew who were on a river with good wind shelter and that was great. However, my usual lake is too open to enjoy a day with brisk wind.

Gottop69
06-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Yeah only crappy part is up here in Stupid dallas we don't have any cliffs to block wind... I am taking the boat down that way in july to meet up with friends.. I can't wait to see how lakes are there.. I hear they are way better because of the cliffs and rocks

rdlangston13
06-23-2011, 10:55 AM
this year in Texas it has just be abnormally windy. something about la nina leaving and there being some kind of big high pressure area over the state. apparently that is also why we have not had any rain. the trinity river is well sheltered but now we have to worry about man eating gators...

bergermaister
06-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Here in the ALWAYS beautiful Pacific NW the way it usually works is that as soon as the sun comes out, the wind is right behind it. A gentle breeze to a steady push. Early mornings are usually the best water.

Luckily we have enough islands and trees, etc that you can find some protected little coves and stretches on some of the lakes and rivers. Only downside is that everybody else is looking for them too!

Last year around 1st of August I was beach camping for the weekend. All day Saturday was overcast but in the upper 70's. Water was flat all day and I burned almost a full tank running nonstop and loving it. Sunday about noon it cleared off and by 2pm the wind was blowing. :(

Gottop69
06-23-2011, 11:06 AM
this year in Texas it has just be abnormally windy. something about la nina leaving and there being some kind of big high pressure area over the state. apparently that is also why we have not had any rain. the trinity river is well sheltered but now we have to worry about man eating gators...

LOL.. them Gators are gonna get you..

I need to find a good river this way..

lsvboombox
06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
One other riding activity that's much more pleasant than a surface sport with 15 MPH winds is hydrofoiling. It's best to have flat water to learn it, but once you do, 1 foot chop is still in the useful range for riding. Count on $3000 or so for a good hydrofoil.

Love my foil..... its a pleasant ride on on rough windy days

rdlangston13
06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
LOL.. them Gators are gonna get you..

I need to find a good river this way..

i bet the closest good river to you is the brazos

pmoomba
06-23-2011, 11:19 AM
What's the normal amount of wind or chop where wakesurfing is still largely unaffected? I plan to try and do some surfing whenever I can make a trip to a lake or on our yearly vacation, and was hoping it would fill some of the gap when it's a little too windy to comfortably ski/wakeboard.

you da man
06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
I live in Central Texas area and have no second thoughts of taking my boat into 30-35mph open water to get to my favorite spot that is blocked by a long, tall cliff that is always butter with a south wind no matter how hard it's blowing. I just take my time getting through the chop. Going with strong winds is not the issue, it's going against it. When we are done for the day and head back, I'll wait for another boat to leave the same area and tuck into his wake and let them get beat up.

skylar18
06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
We surf up to 30 mph winds. Seems like all we are doing this year is surfing and tubing because of the winds.

With no rain and our lake level dropping, I am sure I will give up the season in mid July. What a wasted season........

bzubke1
06-23-2011, 12:55 PM
What lake are you going to hubbard and lavon?

rdlangston13
06-23-2011, 01:04 PM
I live in Central Texas area and have no second thoughts of taking my boat into 30-35mph open water to get to my favorite spot that is blocked by a long, tall cliff that is always butter with a south wind no matter how hard it's blowing. I just take my time getting through the chop. Going with strong winds is not the issue, it's going against it. When we are done for the day and head back, I'll wait for another boat to leave the same area and tuck into his wake and let them get beat up.

you have to show me where this is in august! this is on belton correct?

pogofx
06-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Coming from a guy who lives in the Corpus Christi which has the highest average of wind speed of any city in the states, you eventually get used to the wind, but that doesn't help for boating. I typically put in at Lake Corpus or Canyon Lake. Even without cliffs for protection, your best bet is operating close to an upwind shore giving the wind as little fetch as possible. This isn't always practical based on the shoreline of the lake and not to mention that most other boats that are towing will quickly find that spot as well. I don't like putting in if its going to be over 15kts - not loving that low freeboard of the Outback DD and taking waves over the bow (especially coming off plane).

Gottop69
06-23-2011, 04:34 PM
What lake are you going to hubbard and lavon?

Went to Hubard twice hated it... Went to tawakani 3 times its ok.. haven't been to Lavon yet

rdlangston13
06-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Went to Hubard twice hated it... Went to tawakani 3 times its ok.. haven't been to Lavon yet

the best thing about hubbard...PRIMOS TEX-MEX AND SANGRIA MARGARITAS! man i could drink those suckers all day

Gottop69
06-23-2011, 05:13 PM
the best thing about hubbard...PRIMOS TEX-MEX AND SANGRIA MARGARITAS! man i could drink those suckers all day

I am probably one of the few that dont drink but my wife loves that place... I like the after Primos and my wife drinking... LMAO:cool:

rdlangston13
06-23-2011, 05:20 PM
I am probably one of the few that dont drink but my wife loves that place... I like the after Primos and my wife drinking... LMAO:cool:

people who dont drink are A ok to me! someone needs to drive!

jpetty3023
06-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Yes RD, YDM is talking about Belton lake. We'll def hit the spot code name "skier's alley" when u come down this way

rdlangston13
06-23-2011, 08:35 PM
even with all the bad weather this yeah i have still managed to rack up over 60 hours on the boat since i bought it in october...

you da man
06-23-2011, 09:26 PM
you have to show me where this is in august! this is on belton correct?

Sure is, it's awesome

bzubke1
06-24-2011, 12:24 AM
I've heard lavon is pretty decent along the dam but the brazos is definitly the best around dfw but that's pretty far drive from forney.