PDA

View Full Version : Some Help from some Texans

MikeyMike
06-23-2011, 01:42 AM
I live in the College Station area and i'm going to Austin on Friday and Saturday. I was hoping in going to Lake Austin one day and Lake Travis the other. Does anyone have any ideas which boat ramps would be good since the water is down so much?

Buck02LS
06-23-2011, 02:31 AM
I’m not sure about Lake Austin but for Lake Travis I would put in at the Mansfield Dam. There will be water their for sure! Then you can just ride the south shore line if the wind isn’t too bad. That’s about all I know, hope it helps!

08LSV
06-23-2011, 02:53 AM
Hey Mike. I used to live in Bryan as well. You tired of circling in front of the dam at lake Bryan? ;) or the long drive out to Sommerville?

It's been a while since I have been out to Austin and always boated Travis in other peoples boats. However if you get a chance check out Lake LBJ on one of the far north arms of Travis, it is a really nice and uncrowded lake. You could also try Lake Buchanan. Its a bit farther of a drive north but its a pretty big lake.

skylar18
06-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Mansfield Dam is the only ramp open on Travis right now I believe for powerboats.

It is right by where my boat is kept. If you see a red Supra out there flag me down!

Have fun!

skylar18
06-23-2011, 05:26 AM
http://www.lcra.org/parks/boat_ramp_info.html

Here is link to boat ramps still open on Travis. Looks like 2 ramps are open. We need rain......

usaski1
06-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Lake austin is a constant level lake, and you wont hit anyting. So no worries there. It is choppy though. Great lake for cruising and sight seeing!

rdlangston13
06-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Hey Mike. I used to live in Bryan as well. You tired of circling in front of the dam at lake Bryan? ;) or the long drive out to Sommerville?

Somerville is pretty low, last time I was there a couple months ago we had a hard time finding a place to launch and i keep hearing horror stories weekly about people hitting underwater stumps.

mikeymike you should come out to bethy creek on the trinity river this july for the texas moomba jam!

TL7
06-23-2011, 11:55 AM
For Lake Austin, try either the 360 bridge or go through Steiner Ranch and dump in at Mary Quinlan Park. Warning - the water down there is mid to low 60's. Quite a shock.

MikeyMike
06-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Thanks for all the help! I got out of work late so my trip got cut short, but we are going to try Lake Austin. Thanks for all the input. This was not a far drive so I think we will be heading this way more often.
Yea I've been avoiding lake bryan it gets to crowded. Somerville has not been to bad, we have been launching at Yeague Creek Park. We have to walk the boat out a little but it's not to bad. If any one is needing some tips I know my way around there pretty good.
When is that Moomba jam again at bethy creek?
Thanks again for everyone's help

you da man
06-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Make the drive to Belton Lake. Early mornings on the weekend are good waters. Lake Austin is good early but it's really a big river so rollers are everywhere due to the walls, bulkheads, and vertical shoreline...good luck. Lake Austin is good in the mornings and usually Mondays and Tues most of the day. Thurs and Fridays can get crowded on Lake Austin and due to the shoreline, you can screw up your own water if you make pass after pass in the same area. Lake Austin can very in temps like 20 degrees. It's 83-84 by Tom Miller Dam, but thens it's 64-65 near Mansfied Dam upstream. I'd put in at 360 Bridge or Oyster Landing. You should eat at The Hula Hut, they have great food/drinks and really good docks that will hold 18-20 boats. Lake Travis is down 31-32 feet.

rdlangston13
06-24-2011, 09:06 AM
When is that Moomba jam again at bethy creek?
Thanks again for everyone's help

July 15-17