PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater brackish water engine care

chpprpilot
03-26-2005, 02:03 PM
I live in Jacksonville Fl. and boat on the St. Johns river with my XLV. The water is a brackish mix of salt and freash water. I've heard of an engine modification in the cooling system that helps protect engines from premature rust. What's the deal? Is it necessary for "brackish" water?

John Wade
04-05-2005, 02:21 PM
It isn't a neccesity but definately recomended. At the VERY least I would add a flush kit
to the boat ( 20 bucks or so ) and flush the engine at home on a hose after use. You also will want to let it run long enough for the thermostat to open so you dont let any brackish water sit in the block. There are also a number of chemical treatments that can be ran through the engine to flush it and keep build up to a minimum. Happy boating!

chpprpilot
04-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks John, that's my plan for now. This is my second Moomba and I always flush the engine well after each use. I had my last boat (Outback LS) for three years and sold it in brand new condition...except for the trailer. Anyway, I've been told of a part that can be installed in the cooling system that acts as an attractor to the elements that promote rust. I'm still curious if that's something that would be of use in brackish water as well.
Thanks again
Barry

Wake_Ryder
04-06-2005, 10:27 PM
I just moved from Texas where I lived on the Gulf Coast and ran my boat in Saltwater all the time.

I would highly recommend using a solution such as SALT TERMINATOR when rinsing your engine. After each time I used my boat, I rinsed the engine out thoroughly - first with just fresh water, then with a mixture of fresh water and the SALT TERMINATOR (it comes with a hose attachment mixing reservoir) - this solution coats your engine and prevents any corrosion from starting.

Additionally, you can (and should) spray down the rest of your boat and also your trailer...

In the end, I had little or no corrosion on my boat and PWC all thanks to the SALT TERMINATOR.

Also, for any metal parts exposed - coat them well with a spray solutions such as CORROSION-X -- this was also a life-saver. I sprayed this all over the trailer and even in the engine area too.

chpprpilot
04-06-2005, 11:02 PM
All,
Thanks for the advice. I have a similar flush kit and plan to do just that. I hadn't heard of a gathering of Moomba folks but I'd be all about it. Any excuse to take the boat out.
I'm currently in Afghanistan and can't wait to get home to my new XLV! It's been a long dry year!!
Barry

Wake_Ryder
04-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey! I am leaving for Afghanistan on Friday - sucks because I JUST ordered a brand new 05 LSV - to be delivered while I'm gone!

Luckily, I'm only going for about 6 weeks and should be wakeboarding after I get back...;)