PDA

View Full Version : Helping out the fellow boaters...

KSmith
06-22-2011, 06:30 AM
Two tows so far this year. One about a month ago and one last night.

Last nights tow was quite long and a storm was brewing, strong head wind, white caps, throwing spray over the bow and gunnel... chilly and took about an hour to get them back to their launch.

First tow had some engine issues, a familiy out having fun until the engine crapped out on him. Outboard motor so I wasn't much help, we couldn't get it running so we gave them a tow back to the dock, nice folks. I know one outboard engine trick, but it only works on old Mercs.

Last night, youngun's out having fun in a center console, outboard again, this time they ran out of 2 cycle oil. Lots of gas just no extra 2 cycle to fill the injector reservoir, nice folks again. Dazzled them with our towing prowess, brought them into the dock thru traffic and gave them a nice little sling shot to gently coast them right up to the dock. Twas beautiful if I do say so myself ;-)

So this all begs some questions, should I throw in a bottle of 2 cycle oil for those rare occassions some stranded fellow boater may need some?

Also do any of you carry extra gear for on the water repairs? I carry the basics, basic tool kit, extra oil and fluids for the tranny and v drive, extra impellor for my engine, assorted fuses, some electrical tape, stuff like that.

Also, I used a ski rope to tow these boats in, would a better dedicated heavy duty tow rope be a good idea to throw under a seat?

I have also been using the ski pylon as the attachment point, would I be better off buying a harness that hooks to the two transom eyes for towing?

mmandley
06-22-2011, 08:35 AM
When i have towed people they had the rope, but i do have a tube rope rated at 4K i can tow with.

The plyon is more then strong enough as long as your not trying to go to fast. Its designed to handle a lot of weight with pulling tubes and such.

As for 2 stroke oil, thats on you man, if you have a lot of 2 strokes on your lake maybe then but i wouldnt. They should be carrieing that stuff them selves lol.

KSmith
06-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Oh yeah, I have a mega tube towing rope somewhere in the garage, great idea,thanks!

Yeah, not sure about the 2 cycle oil, first time it would have been useful but would have saved over an hour towing time... Might be worth it... I wonder how long that stuff can be hauled around before it is no good to use anymore...

Hoopskier
06-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Ksmith, props for helping others out. As the ol saying goes, what goes around comes around.

For me I wouldn't stock up on special materials to tow others. I don't mind helping but I'm not in the business of towing. If you are using a standard waterski rope, by all means tow from the pylon. The rope would/should break for any boat damage can be done. As you found out already, the standard rope is enough for most boats, as slow speeds.

Now I know that everyone pulls tubes from the standard pylon, but I don't think its recommended by the manufacturers. I would be cautious (to the point of not doing it) of using the larger tube ropes. The the transom rings would be the tow point for those. The larger, 6 person, tube ropes can be 3/4" thick and rated 6,000 lbs.

For me, I have a anchor line that could double as a tow rope as needed.

millerda68
06-23-2011, 12:01 PM
I have been one of those stranded boats on the water years ago when my dad took us kids out skiing. Since then (when I was old enough to go out on my own), I have always kept a basic tool kit, extra prop, flash lights, rags, and an extra heavy duty tube rope with me when on the water for those just in case moments.

Maybe a worthwhile post topic would be - what to carry in case of emergencies.

Screw driver set
Wrenches
Pliers
Electrical tape
Extra 18g wire
Knife
Wire cutter/stripper
Tow rope / heavy duty tube tow rope
Flash light
Drain plugs
Engine fluids
Air horn
First aid kit
Fuses

I know storage is sacred to all the boaters, but maybe come up with a small kit that could be kept on board for those just in case moments to get your family and boat back to safety.

I saw one of the posts with the PVC pipe storage on the moveable bench seat. Ideally you could fit most of this kind of stuff in that kind of setup and not lose much in the way of storage. Just a thought.

bergermaister
06-23-2011, 01:45 PM
One hour is one long tow - I'd maybe offer to run 'em back to the launch high speed style, let them fetch some oil and then run them back? Suppose that all depends on the weather and the mood of the crew too but I've been stuck broke down in older boats I've had and good Samaritans helped me out so returning the favor can really make someone's day.

If they have little kids on board I'd offer up whatever they needed to help 'em out.

or If there are any hotties on board of course it would be much safer for them to ride up in the Moomba with me while the guys stay back in the towed boat to keep it lined up straight! :cool:

sandm
06-23-2011, 02:56 PM
done it several times, mostly at the end of the day and I'm on my way home as well, so tow is no big deal. did run across a family one day that needed one. we were loaded down for surfing, so we told them we would run across help and send it back. sheriff spotted them 10 minutes later and was on it.

I'd never carry extra parts/supplies for a boat that's not mine. it's an expensive enough hobby without carrying a parts-store inventory. if I happen to have what they need, great, otherwise, here's a tow and have a nice afternoon..

I usually use the tube tow rope(rarely ever take a tube), but keep the rope in year round just for that reason(in case it's me someday) and tow from the pylon.

thanks to Skiers Choice for making a product that(knock on wood) has never needed a tow :)

KSmith
06-23-2011, 04:51 PM
One hour is one long tow - I'd maybe offer to run 'em back to the launch high speed style, let them fetch some oil and then run them back? Suppose that all depends on the weather and the mood of the crew too but I've been stuck broke down in older boats I've had and good Samaritans helped me out so returning the favor can really make someone's day.

If they have little kids on board I'd offer up whatever they needed to help 'em out.

or If there are any hotties on board of course it would be much safer for them to ride up in the Moomba with me while the guys stay back in the towed boat to keep it lined up straight! :cool:

LOL hotties, yes well the wife might have something to say were that the case!

Luckily no kids, just a young crew, in their 20's I'd say, out having fun...

Yeah and hour was a bit much, but I have been in need of a rescue myself so I am happy to help out a fellow boater. I asked about them having extra oil and a quick run, they did not have any in the truck they said, the ramp they launched at is fairly remote so it seemed as broad as it was long...

They were dead in the water and passed up by 4 boats that I saw and were damn near in the rocks when I got to them. Weather was turning bad when we got to them, didn't improve any but luckily it didn't turn into an electrical storm

They did have to endure a very brief lecture about not having any paddles, anchor, or a rope of any kind in the boat ;-)

Anyway... there are quite a few 2 cycle outboards running around on fishing boats, but most fishermen I know are well stocked and boy scout prepared, although I have seen some pinheads out there "fishing"... I may buy a bottle of the 2 cycle oil, I have room I think in the container I keep my extra fluids in... can't cost that much 3-4 bucks maybe?

I will be digging out my tube tow rope and tossing it in the boat.

bergermaister
06-23-2011, 04:59 PM
I may buy a bottle of the 2 cycle oil, I have room I think in the container I keep my extra fluids in... can't cost that much 3-4 bucks maybe?

And worth at least $25-30 a quart out in the middle of the river/lake... ;)

KSmith
06-23-2011, 05:06 PM
And worth at least $25-30 a quart out in the middle of the river/lake... ;)

Hmmmm... interesting thought ;-)

sandm
06-23-2011, 06:07 PM
man, if I had it, i'd never charge for it. that's bad karma...

KSmith
06-23-2011, 07:12 PM
man, if I had it, i'd never charge for it. that's bad karma...

No doubt!! In case anyone mssed it I was kidding...

Some people have offered to pay for gas after a tow, I always thanks them and kindly decline to accept any money. Others don't offer, not a problem they all express appreciation and it is good feeling to help someone out

saskyrider
06-24-2011, 10:58 AM
I have a kit of supplies that i keep. I'm not that pressed for storage to worry about that and i've been on a boat stranded at night that had nothing...sucked!!

Geoff