PDA

View Full Version : Z5 Cargo Rack: Quick Release Pin Replacement

08LSV
06-21-2011, 10:35 PM
While taking down my Z5 Cargo Rack the other day getting ready to install my new tower speakers (another Excile convert) I pulled on one of the quick release pins and the black plastic head broke off.... I was finally able to push the pin out from the bottom and moved on to the next one which I pulled more gently.... It broke as well... On the third pin the black top stayed on the pin but broke free from the wire lanyard that prevents you from losing it.... Not sure why the company that makes the Z5 would use plastic for such an application that lives in the sunlight. Anyway to make a short story longer, I searched everywhere trying to find a pin that was at least close in size and length. After Lowe's, Homedepot, OSH, Ace and several specialty bolt companies I came up empty handed. I went to West Marine to pick up some other stuff and found the exact same size pin in SS and without the black plastic cap!!! At about $6.00 a piece they are not cheap it is good to know they have them if you need it. I probably could have gotten them cheaper online but I had no idea what size they were before I found the match. I will list the part number just incase anyone needs it.

Found at: WEST MARINE
Brand: SCHAEFER
Part No.: 98-1810
Quick Release Pin - 316 s/s
3/16 dia x 1.0 grip
1700 LBS S.W.L.

you da man
06-21-2011, 10:56 PM
That's a great find, thanks for posting because either people lose or break that little ball thingy.

mmandley
06-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Good find man, i havnt had any issues with my pins yet but if i do i know where to get more.

gonracn
06-22-2011, 02:44 PM
That is a great find. My dealer told me they are $15 each!!!!

DOCDRS
06-22-2011, 08:16 PM

thats why the Z5 is $2000....he he

08LSV
06-23-2011, 02:57 AM

$15.00 Wow! And I thought $6.00 a piece was outrageous... Guess my cheapness is showing.