PDA

View Full Version : Weight in opposite rear locker

cab13367
06-21-2011, 07:20 PM
So this weekend, we tried putting some weight in the opposite rear locker (about 250#'s) as others have mentioned and whaddya know, the wave did have more push. Specifically, the height of the wave remained the same but it seems to have gotten longer - there is more energy (push) at the back of the wave. See the vid below. You can see towards the end of the vid how far back I can go and still stay on the wave. Set up was 750 in the surf side rear, 250 in the opposite rear, and 400 in the ski locker, one adult in the observer seat (mandley) and my son driving, 10 mph, wake plate fully up. No weight in the bow.

I'm really pleased at this discovery. So before you go thru the trouble of adding a bow sac, try adding some weight in the opposite rear locker first.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/a076214c.mp4

moombadaze
06-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Al, I was not able to see the video but I'll soon give it a shot.

Makes me wonder what would happen with filling that 1100 up on the surf side and some exta upfront with a little on the non surfside would do

cab13367
06-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Al, I was not able to see the video but I'll soon give it a shot.

Try this:

http://youtu.be/dSUPdq4mm5s

jmvotto
06-21-2011, 07:58 PM
nice Al. i will just have to give it a try,

mmandley
06-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Dam nice ridding Al. Who made that video wow what a pro LOL.

Ok OK had to lol.

Thanks for having me out with you friend on Fathers day man. I was privileged to be out with you and Keenan.

Not a bad video using a I-4 lol

cab13367
06-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Mike, you know you and Claudia are always welcome on my boat. And thanks for shooting the vid! You should see the quality of the video before it's compressed to be uploaded online. It's pretty amazing.

08LSV
06-21-2011, 11:49 PM
So this weekend, we tried putting some weight in the opposite rear locker (about 250#'s) as others have mentioned and whaddya know, the wave did have more push. Specifically, the height of the wave remained the same but it seems to have gotten longer - there is more energy (push) at the back of the wave. See the vid below. You can see towards the end of the vid how far back I can go and still stay on the wave. Set up was 750 in the surf side rear, 250 in the opposite rear, and 400 in the ski locker, one adult in the observer seat (mandley) and my son driving, 10 mph, wake plate fully up. No weight in the bow.

Hey Cab. I was wondering about your comment on the wake plate. This is our first year surfing and my gf and I are both goofy so we set up that side. I have been keeping my wake plate down thinking it would help with prop wash... Have you noticed much difference between having up vs. down?

Also I had my 1100# and ski locker full was surfing and then the wake just went to pieces. I finally noticed that my other bag had started filling with water (crappy sprinkler valves). It was only about 1/4 full but just destroyed my wake.. Any ideas? I am headed out tomorrow and will put in my new bow sack, fill the surf side 1100, ski locker and use my old GIII bag under the seat behind the driver (Surf side). Any suggestions on placement? Thanks.

cab13367
06-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Hey Cab. I was wondering about your comment on the wake plate. This is our first year surfing and my gf and I are both goofy so we set up that side. I have been keeping my wake plate down thinking it would help with prop wash... Have you noticed much difference between having up vs. down?

Also I had my 1100# and ski locker full was surfing and then the wake just went to pieces. I finally noticed that my other bag had started filling with water (crappy sprinkler valves). It was only about 1/4 full but just destroyed my wake.. Any ideas? I am headed out tomorrow and will put in my new bow sack, fill the surf side 1100, ski locker and use my old GIII bag under the seat behind the driver (Surf side). Any suggestions on placement? Thanks.

I've never run more than the 750 in the rear and the 400 in the ski locker (until this weekend when I added weight in the opposite rear locker) so I don't have much insight to offer once you start running a bunch more weight. Maybe start by copying my set up and seeing how that works for you. If it's not working then add the additional weight one at a time so that you can see how each piece is affecting the wave.

I find that lowering the wakeplate tends to round off the top of the wake instead of curling over so I've always surfed with it all the way up. Not sure if it's the same on the goofy side though. I've not had many goofy footed surfers so I'm not much help dialing in the goofy side wave.

08LSV
06-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Thanks Cab. I'll give it try with your set up first and just making one change at a time.

you da man
06-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Adding weight to the opposite side makes sense because you're sinking a little more hull which in turn should displace more water. Im sure not all hull shapes will benefit but I know my XLV did. Nice to hear the LSV does as well.

mmandley
06-22-2011, 09:09 AM
08 the issue might have been you got too much weight in the port side of the boat, then with the wake plate down it washed the wave.

I know i experimented in my boat Monday on the lake and i run a bit different set up then Al and i wasn't sold on the adding weight idea.

Also i cant run my wake plate all the way up or the wave gets washy i run it around 50%.

My set up is.

750 rear
400 center
650 nose

I am still working on getting it dialed in and people in the boat has a lot to do with that.

Surprisingly i can free rope a lot more in Al's boat then my own and that frustrates me as well.

cab13367
06-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Surprisingly i can free rope a lot more in Al's boat then my own and that frustrates me as well.

LOL! Sorry to hear that Mike. Well, you can easily duplicate my set up and you should get the same results.

bergermaister
06-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Good stuff Al! I'm going to have to give that extra weight on the opposite side a try as well.

Curious where you guys were riding (Hagg?) and what the water temp was?

newty
06-22-2011, 01:14 PM
I did that one time last year. 1100 locker full, floor and IBS full and the passenger about 300lbs. Nice wake with a lot of push.
Wake looks good Cab. Now if you would just learn to ride!;)
Love it man! Thanks for the video!

brain_rinse
06-22-2011, 02:16 PM
What's your typical setup newty?

newty
06-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Same as above but with out the weight on the non surf side.

1100 rear surf side, floor, and bow full. Some times I empty about 2-3" out of the 1100, depending on how many people are in the boat.

rdlangston13
06-22-2011, 03:01 PM
I never have anyone on my boat who surfs regular, maybe we are all goofy down here in Texas! we had a pretty good surf wake friday. my brother in law tossed the rope and it was only his second day surfing. we had the 400 right rear locker full, the 400 center locker 3/4 full (if i fill it all the way it bulges up the door in the floor), driver, passenger on top of the right rear locker, passenger in right rear corner, two kids in the observer seat and a passenger in the left rear corner seat

moombadaze
06-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Try this:

thanks--that link worked. Nice wave, you got back pretty far at one point

moombadaze
06-22-2011, 06:54 PM

Thats really strange, wonder why

cab13367
06-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Good stuff Al! I'm going to have to give that extra weight on the opposite side a try as well.

Curious where you guys were riding (Hagg?) and what the water temp was?

That was on the Willamette, put in at Newberg. Water temp was a balmy 57 degrees.

I did that one time last year. 1100 locker full, floor and IBS full and the passenger about 300lbs. Nice wake with a lot of push.
Wake looks good Cab. Now if you would just learn to ride!;)
Love it man! Thanks for the video!

I hope to be able to ride like you someday Ryan :)

mnpracing
06-22-2011, 11:10 PM
That was on the Willamette, put in at Newberg. Water temp was a balmy 57 degrees.

I hope to be able to ride like you someday Ryan :)

57 and no wetsuit, yikes!

08LSV
06-23-2011, 02:39 AM
08 the issue might have been you got too much weight in the port side of the boat, then with the wake plate down it washed the wave.

I know i experimented in my boat Monday on the lake and i run a bit different set up then Al and i wasn't sold on the adding weight idea.

Also i cant run my wake plate all the way up or the wave gets washy i run it around 50%.

My set up is.

750 rear
400 center
650 nose

I am still working on getting it dialed in and people in the boat has a lot to do with that.

Thanks Mike/Newty/Cab. I went out today and played around. Here is what worked best for us today.

Wake plate 50%
1100 Rear (maybe more like 1050 so I could close my locker all the way.)
400 (one of my old GIII sacs under the seats behind the driver.)
400 Center
650 Nose (IBS)
100 Girlfriend driving
120 Gf's Mom on surf side. (just don't tell them I listed there weights.... ;) )

I tried a bunch of different configurations to include weight on the other side, but none were better than this. I think it has to do with my hull shape, set up on goofy side and prop wash. Having the wake plate all the way up definitely made the face steeper but the sweet spot was tiny. The opposite was true with it all the way down. Gf did dunk the bow under water today..... It was her first time driving with the IBS installed. Turned around to quick to pick me and you know how the rest goes. She felt bad and learned quickly how not to do it again so I couldn't really get mad. Plus she's been paying for half the boat ever since I bought it!

mmandley
06-23-2011, 09:25 AM
57 and no wetsuit, yikes!

Al was actualy wearing a 3/4 suit first couple rides, i think when he went surfing he wasnt wearing it though.

Brady our friend was no wet suit at all brr

I wore my new wet suit for the first time and it was money man. Well worth the 175 i paid for it.

As for Henry Hagg was out Monday and it was a crisp 67 and felt great with no wetsuit at all.

@ RD i doubt your even getting 200 lbs in your ski locker bro. First year i had the same issue happening and the door would pop up. Id drain it slightly and get my hand in there pop the fill hose and it was full of air all the time. This is why i installed a check vavle on the drain hose for the center locker because it has a nasty habit of getting air in there when towing.

@ Al yes it does bother me i cant free rope as well on my boat but i will get it figured out this year.

Also i was showing my wipe out you filmed for me to the people at work. they have much repsect for me now knowing i took a hit like that and got back on the board the next day lol.

I was watching it and my form is really good and it even looked like i knew what i was doing till i hit the wake and didnt lean back on the board lol.

I assume anytime you go to jump the wake your sopposed to lean back on the bard a bit? LOL

lsvboombox
06-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Also i was showing my wipe out you filmed for me to the people at work. they have much repsect for me now knowing i took a hit like that and got back on the board the next day lol.

I was watching it and my form is really good and it even looked like i knew what i was doing till i hit the wake and didnt lean back on the board lol.

I assume anytime you go to jump the wake your sopposed to lean back on the bard a bit? LOL

lets see it...

rdlangston13
06-23-2011, 10:38 AM
@ RD i doubt your even getting 200 lbs in your ski locker bro. First year i had the same issue happening and the door would pop up. Id drain it slightly and get my hand in there pop the fill hose and it was full of air all the time. This is why i installed a check vavle on the drain hose for the center locker because it has a nasty habit of getting air in there when towing.

every time i tow i always take all the bags out, roll them up, and place them in one of the rear lockers. but it still feel like there is alot of air in that bag. when it gets real puffy you can tap the top and it doesnt feel like it is water lol. the rear bags dont seem to have this issue tho. how exactly did you add this check valve?

saskie99
06-23-2011, 10:46 AM
I have found that you can put a few pounds in the opposite sack just not to much or the wave washes and sprays to much for my liking. It is still big and rideable but harder to do slides and 360s on

mmandley
07-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Last Monday when we were out we surfed and I put about 400 in the opposite rear locker and the wave was money. Instantly found the pocket and had slack in the rope even free rode a few times like I do behind Als boat. I think the more weight you have up front the more weight the opposite side needed due to it not being as deep in the water.

My buddy steve was instantly free roping and surfing for a good long while, he really liked the new adjustment to the wave

cab13367
07-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Last Monday when we were out we surfed and I put about 400 in the opposite rear locker and the wave was money. Instantly found the pocket and had slack in the rope even free rode a few times like I do behind Als boat. I think the more weight you have up front the more weight the opposite side needed due to it not being as deep in the water.

My buddy steve was instantly free roping and surfing for a good long while, he really liked the new adjustment to the wave

Mike, glad you got your wave dialed in!

Brandon G
07-02-2011, 06:24 PM
My 2008 LSV set up for wake surfing Goofy:

Speed 10.5

750 Rear

450 (the stock rear bag) under the back seat behind the driver.

ski locker full

400 in bow

wake plate 50% to all the way up depending on water conditions and people weight

250 - 300 opposite side (this is key)

Wake is money!