PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell!!!!

Hootreville
06-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Just got back from Lake Powell. Took the Moomba almost 1800 miles round trip. Spent a couple days at the resort in Wahweap, and 5 days on a house boat with my family and 2 others. What a great time. Weather was hot 90 plus, the water was a bit chilly but felt great in the hot afternoon sun. Here is some pics.

KG's Supra24
06-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Nice Pics!!!

Lake Powell is def on my list of places to visit.

Hootreville
06-21-2011, 05:07 PM
A few more

New Guy
06-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Hoot that is awesome!! I'm extremely jealous right now:p

If you don't mind can you pm me some info trip (travel time, # of people, ect)

Hootreville
06-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Correction for those of you doing the math it was 1800 miles each way!!!!

yearround
06-21-2011, 05:31 PM
i read your first post and your location, i figured one of the two must be wrong, i'm in denver and i go about 500 each way, and that is to bullfrog, not wahweap.

it is an awesome place, we will be going in September this year. glad you had fun and hope you enjoyed the west.

newty
06-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I grew up 90 miles from that lake and spent every summer on it.
I see pics of I it, and I miss it so much! Great pics.

Glad you had a great time! Thats a long drive for you guys!

zabooda
06-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Looks like full pool. Is there ever a better place for a Moomba Jam than Lake Powell on house boats. Think about it.

mmandley
06-21-2011, 10:12 PM
I grew up 90 miles from that lake and spent every summer on it.
I see pics of I it, and I miss it so much! Great pics.

Glad you had a great time! Thats a long drive for you guys!

Never been on Powell but from what i have seen driving by it and in pics its a place i want to spend some time at. I grew up closer to 500 miles from it in Tucson AZ. Got family north about 400 miles also LOL

jimmobius
06-25-2011, 11:13 PM
I have spent many a week on Powell. I have been in almost all the canyons from hite to rainbow bridge,lots of great memories and good times. Haven't been in 3 years so it's time to go back . I will be there Sept 10-17 this year on our friends houseboat. I hear the lake will be up 50' this year, highest levels in a long time. Then there is the gas prices, it will probably be the most expensive trip to date..
Jim

sandm
06-26-2011, 09:04 AM
looks like a lot of fun. powell would def. be on my bucket list.

sigh.. someday :)

rdlangston13
06-26-2011, 09:44 AM
I have spent many a week on Powell. I have been in almost all the canyons from hite to rainbow bridge,lots of great memories and good times. Haven't been in 3 years so it's time to go back . I will be there Sept 10-17 this year on our friends houseboat. I hear the lake will be up 50' this year, highest levels in a long time. Then there is the gas prices, it will probably be the most expensive trip to date..
Jim

if the lake level varies up to 50 feet how do you manage to launch? it seems like if it is up 50 feet all the ramps would be under water or if it was down 50 feet all the ramps would be out of water

jimmobius
06-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Up lake at Bullfrog and Halls crossing the ramps are really long to accommodate the water levels. They have had to add on to the ramps when the lake was really low in order to launch houseboats and smaller crafts. This year is going to be the highest levels in a long time.
Jim

sgeare
06-26-2011, 11:48 PM
The entire lake is coming up anywhere from 6" to 1' every day! It is supposed to keep rising into August from what I hear. Every time we would beach for a couple of hours we would have to pull the boats up a couple of times because the water was rising so much.

cab13367
06-27-2011, 01:18 AM
I went on two separate week long houseboat trips to Powell when I lived in Denver, once with friends, and once with family. This was before the Moomba, when I had a stern drive, which I brought along both times. Still remember them like it was yesterday. Scenery is surreal, water is crystal clear and clean, weather was perfect. Wish I lived closer to it.

I hear Lake Shasta is good too, will have to give that a try someday. Much closer to me than Powell.

Al

jimmobius
06-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Of all the lakes I have been to , Powell ranks up there. The scenery is like no other lake . They are trying to keep the " mussels" out of there so you can't beach launch anymore . I haven't been there since they limited the launch times then close the ramps. I see their point but it makes it harder to enjoy our recreation activity.
Jim