PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Wake Plate

03-24-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm trying to decide on whether to order the Hydraulic Wake Plate on my Outback. I'm being told that they are really only effective on V-Drive boats and produce minimal results when put on Direct Drive boats like the Outback. Any thoughts? Anyone have one on an Outback? Thanks.

mobiusLSV05
03-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Actually, I saw one on a new Mobius LS today. Cant say for sure whether its good or bad. Is your dealer still offreing the incentive package? If so get the plate, its worth something like 900.00.

Brian Raymond
03-25-2005, 12:09 AM
In my opinion, the wakeplate on the Outback is a must for the all around boater. The OB has a great wake for the slalom and beginner wakeboarder with the factory fixed plate. However, if you are going to be entertaining many different riders, ranging from slalom to boarding and tubing, the adjustable wakeplate would better suit your needs. You did not mention if you were going to get the optional tower/ballast, the plate is nice because at a fingertip, you can adjust your riders wake characteristics, from a trim up position you an achieve a big wake for boardin', or a level one for slalom, to all the way down to help remove the bump from big waters. All riders benefit, because wake change is easy. Hope this helps, keep us posted on the decision. Test drive a boat with one, and you can see the difference in the wakes. Brian Raymond

03-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys. Brian- I was going to get the tower and one-bag ballast. I understand and appreciate your thoughts. The dealer is telling me that all of that is moot on a direct drive boat because of the weight distribution due to the motor being in the center of the boat, and that for some reason (safety?) there is only one inch of travel in the plate on an Outback which prevents it from doing much. Thoughts?

lowdrag
03-27-2005, 06:23 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but since it got your attention Brian, I'll just ask you here.

How hard of an install would it be to put the wakeplate on yourself? I've heard that the Bennett X-22 would be the choice for a factory fit. Is this true?

John Wade
04-05-2005, 02:34 PM
To answer the safety issue, the wake plate travel is limited by Bennett to 1.375" full travel. If the wake plate were allowed to travel too far below the plane of the running surface it could cause an unstable condition, bow steer and alot of crazy things. When we test our new models we move the plate so you get the most use out of it, that may mean on some models it only goes 1/2" below plane and others more. This to help insure you can use your boat with out any worries of what could happen if the plate traveled too far. And as for Brians last post I agree, I would not own a boat without an
adjustable wake plate as my family and I use the boat for multiple activitys. Happy boating.

smokedog2
04-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Thats good to hear. I had a mental picture of this shovel sticking down below the boat. I kinda wondered why it didn't just pull right off.

I have one, I get it wet Friday. The waiting is getting painful 79 deg today.

auuuugghh

SD2