PDA

View Full Version : Buying and 05 LSV and need some info.

jbgp1200
06-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Hey everyone,

First post here and I am hoping that you can help me with some questions i have.

My wife and I are just about to close on an 05 LSV that we have been lucky to find in amazing condition with only 70 hours on it from an owner who really cares about his boat. Its pretty much a done deal but Ive been comparing the 05 to the changes that were made in 06 and I'm wondering how significant the changes were in regards to performance and comfort.

I know tat they added 10" to the length of the boat in 06. How does this change the performance, stability and comfort of the boat?

I noticed that the tower on the 05 has 3 points where it is installed and the 06 has 2 points. Is either tower really any better then the other?

Is the 05 LSV just an 06 Outback V? Seems like they just upgraded the LSV and started calling the older model the Outback V? If that's the case is the Outback V a good boat?

Where Im at with this is that I feel like we are getting an extremely fair if not great price on the 05 LSV. It would run me about 8k more to jump to an 08 LSV that I found with the same hours as the 05. I'm just wondering if the changes would really be worth that difference in price. My gut says no.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

JB

kaneboats
06-20-2011, 12:40 PM
It is a fantastic boat and you are right that it's the same boat as the OBV till that one changed in '09. I almost bought two different ones of the same boat you are looking at. Personally, I would go for the newer hull but I have 6 kids and we just did not fit very well in that model. If you will only go out with a few folks the OBV or older LSV is great. If you get up to 8-10 you should really think about the bigger one. Maybe ride in both of them and see what you think.

mnpracing
06-20-2011, 12:46 PM
the archives on this site are really helpful to show the differences. www.moomba.com/archives.

The 05 LSV is the same as the 06 OBV. It really depends on your purpose and price range. I had an 06 OBV and went to an 08 LSV last summer. I like both boats. My main reason for switching was to get higher freeboard (primary reason), a rear-folding tower (strictly for the limitations of my garage), and slightly higher seats (higher off the floor which is more comfortable for us - personal preference), plus it will fit a couple more people, or in our case the same number of people with a little more room to move around.

The '06 OBV is a great boat (I know you are looking at the 05 LSV but this is my frame of reference). We surfed and wakeboarded with no problems. It couldn't take as much weight, so again it just depends on what you will be using it for. I'm not sure if the '05 is fuel injector or carb, maybe something to consider.

Both can capably do the same things (i.e. ski, board, surf).

langmotorsports
06-20-2011, 12:47 PM
We just bought our first V-drive and it is an 05 LSV.......have got to put on approx. 10 hrs and everyone in the family absolutley loves it. We have used it for boarding, tubing, and simply cruising and its been fine for all of that........we many times have larger groups at the cabin so when time to upgrade I will definitley go up in size but as far as the performance, wake, power etc etc I think you will be more than happy. Any questions let me know

jbgp1200
06-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I'm a little concerned with how low this boat sits in the water. Is that something I should be concerned about.

csm
06-20-2011, 02:59 PM
We've had our '05 LSV for about 3 years now. It is a great boat as far as performance. We get a really good surf wave, and a good wakeboarding wake.

My only 2 complaints are the ones that you've mentioned.

I have to raise and lower the tower everytime, since I keep it in my garage. The forward folding tower is pretty tough to do if you're doing it by yourself, especially if you have some decent sized tower speakers that make it even heavier. I've rigged up a chain and made raising and lowering a 2-step process when it's just me, because I've had the tower come crashing down twice now, and that is not a good thing. It also makes the overall length of the boat effectively longer when it's angled in your garage. On the other hand, from what I've heard, the '06 and newer models are a challenge to get in a garage due to the height. That isn't an issue w/ the '05s.

My second complaint is just the size/freeboard. I ride on a pretty choppy lake, and it can be a little un-nerving when you've got a bunch of rollers or chop coming at you. Once we learned our boat though, we've never had any problems with taking water over the bow or over the side, but I do wish the seats were higher. It doesn't handle rough water very well, so that would be an advantage for the '06 and greater LSVs.

When we bought ours 3 years ago, the '05s were a good $7k less than the '06 and newer models, and that was a big deciding factor for us. If given the choice again, I would probably make the same decision, as I'm very happy with our boat. IMO, there's not a better wakeboat in the mid-20k price range.

langmotorsports
06-20-2011, 03:43 PM
The short freeboard has not been an issue for me at all and we are on a lake that gets very busy (lots of wave wash) on the weekends and its been no issue at all. I do wish the seats were a little higher but thats just a personal prefernece thing, certainly not a deal breaker by any means........go for it, you will love it!!

saskyrider
06-20-2011, 03:57 PM
I've got an 05LSV as well, our lake can get some huge rollers when the wind is up (lake is 60 miles long) and i've never had a problem. As for the tower it is good as far as i'm concerned but my boat is out all summer so i only take the tower down once a year. I would like the seats higher as well.... but pish posh... thats minor!! Love my boat!

Geoff

skiyaker
06-20-2011, 07:34 PM
I have that same boat in the 08 OBV version- it has a lot of positives. It handles great- I love the sports car feel it has on the water and it's lightweight- dry wt is only 3000# and that makes it easy to trailer and also helps it make a great ski wake for a V drive. I was thinking how far we've come that a 20'8" boat is considered a "small boat." The boat my dad had when I was growing up was 15 and a half foot tri-hull. His second boat was 17 and a half feet and we called it "the big one"

Friday night we had 6 adults and 3 small kids on our boat- that's about a comfortable max.

Freeboard was only a problem until I learned how to drive it; I took rollers over the bow a few times the first month I had it and none since. If it has the trimplate that will help adjust the ride for rough water- I was really worried about that when I first got my boat but really it's not been a problem.

Where are you located?

csm
06-20-2011, 11:39 PM
I love the sports car feel it has on the water and it's lightweight- dry wt is only 3000# and that makes it easy to trailer...

That is another big advantage over other boats. I came from towing a similar sized Sea Ray, and the lsv is so much easier to tow, you'll forget you're even towing sometimes.

Canuckle Head
06-21-2011, 02:08 AM
The only reason I would give up my OBV for a bigger boat would be if I stopped slalom skiing and I can't see that happening any time soon. (knock on wood)

jbgp1200
06-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Thank you all, very good info. I'm located in Austin TX. Fortunately we have been able to enjoy the lakes for 3 months now. Unfortunately we have not had much rain so its drying things up a bit. Was out with a buddy on Sat and he destroyed a pair of counter rotating props on his cobalt. 20 feet of water near the docks and bamn, we hit rock.

I went down to the dealership yesterday to check out some older LSV's and newer Outback V's and they did seem pretty small to me siting next to the XLV's. I was sorta tempted on one of the XLV's but my wife brought me back to reality and told me to cool it. We are buying the 05 LSV and to stop sinning myself out. lol

It's a smarter decision for us to start with the LSV. Even with the great price after tax the XLV is double the price and although they keep there value, that's a lot to sign up for on a first boat. If we decide in a couple of seasons we need something bigger we can always upgrade.

That being said, I did feel like the LSV and outback V were very shallow. I'm hoping I will just get used to it. I just don't want my 3 year old falling over board. Hes always been in deeper outboards that he could not climb over the edge if he tried. To there defense of the lSV and OBVI did not feel like the 50K XLV was really more then an inch or an inch and a half deeper on the back seat. These boats just ride low I guess.

For the past 7 years Ive only wake boarded behind outboards and I'm dying to get behind this boat. I know it will be better then any wake Ive ridden yet. And im really excited that we will have a boat we can surf behind.

Thanks for your input, really helps. i can tell that most if not all moomba owners really love there boats.

Please keep the info coming if you have any. I could use any tips, tricks or things I should know about this boat.

Thanks again. JB

skiyaker
06-21-2011, 12:39 PM
It's a smarter decision for us to start with the LSV. Even with the great price after tax the XLV is double the price and although they keep there value, that's a lot to sign up for on a first boat. If we decide in a couple of seasons we need something bigger we can always upgrade.

That being said, I did feel like the LSV and outback V were very shallow. I'm hoping I will just get used to it. I just don't want my 3 year old falling over board.
Thanks again. JB

This sounds like good logic to me especially if you have limited experience driving an inboard. Plus make sure to save some $ for gear, gas, and any upgrades. I know a guy that blew his wad on a big supra but now has no money for operating expenses

That reminds me of this pic- my 3 year old fell asleep like this! I haven't tossed my kids out of the boat yet but they know to sit on their pockets while the boat is moving

rdlangston13
06-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Well if you are in Austin you should come out to the Texas Moomba Jam next month in Riverside at Bethy Creek Resort. Livingston is full and the Trinity River is one of the best places to ride, smooth water and deep. Its protected by the wind for the most part too!

Gottop69
06-23-2011, 10:03 AM
It is a fantastic boat and you are right that it's the same boat as the OBV till that one changed in '09. I almost bought two different ones of the same boat you are looking at. Personally, I would go for the newer hull but I have 6 kids and we just did not fit very well in that model. If you will only go out with a few folks the OBV or older LSV is great. If you get up to 8-10 you should really think about the bigger one. Maybe ride in both of them and see what you think.

Sorry off topic.. 6 kids are you starting your own gang.. Damn.. LOL

Gottop69
06-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Thank you all, very good info. I'm located in Austin TX. Fortunately we have been able to enjoy the lakes for 3 months now. Unfortunately we have not had much rain so its drying things up a bit. Was out with a buddy on Sat and he destroyed a pair of counter rotating props on his cobalt. 20 feet of water near the docks and bamn, we hit rock.

I went down to the dealership yesterday to check out some older LSV's and newer Outback V's and they did seem pretty small to me siting next to the XLV's. I was sorta tempted on one of the XLV's but my wife brought me back to reality and told me to cool it. We are buying the 05 LSV and to stop sinning myself out. lol

That being said, I did feel like the LSV and outback V were very shallow. I'm hoping I will just get used to it. I just don't want my 3 year old falling over board. Hes always been in deeper outboards that he could not climb over the edge if he tried. To there defense of the lSV and OBVI did not feel like the 50K XLV was really more then an inch or an inch and a half deeper on the back seat. These boats just ride low I guess.

For the past 7 years Ive only wake boarded behind outboards and I'm dying to get behind this boat. I know it will be better then any wake Ive ridden yet. And im really excited that we will have a boat we can surf behind.

Thanks for your input, really helps. i can tell that most if not all moomba owners really love there boats.

Please keep the info coming if you have any. I could use any tips, tricks or things I should know about this boat.

Thanks again. JB

Thats what I did this year I bought a 2009 MoBius LSV.. Used when I get use to it and thanks to this forum when we upgrade if we upgrade I will get a Supra 242 or the XLV.. Mainly because these guys on here are helpfull And when you meet them in person they are all good people.. You will be happy with the boat.. Welcome

VA LSV
06-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Bought my 05 LSV new in 05 and 400 trouble free hours later, still love it! We board, skate, surf. Very little slalom. 310 carb motor was standard in 05. I opted for the 325 EFI. Previous boat was an 86 Ski Supreme DD so freeboard wasn't an issue for us.

Gottop69
06-24-2011, 03:14 PM
LOL... I will sell you a 2009 Mobius LSV

rdlangston13
06-24-2011, 03:49 PM
LOL... I will sell you a 2009 Mobius LSV

you just got that boat! you already trying to get rid of it?

Gottop69
06-24-2011, 03:52 PM
I am in sales.. I will sell everything

jbgp1200
06-24-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm gonna guess you want 38k for it?

Gottop69
06-27-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm gonna guess you want 38k for it?

about that...

jbgp1200
06-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Got my boat yesterday and I love it. Loaded with everything I could have ever wanted. Only ever wake boarding behind outboards the wake behind this vdrive can be intimidating at first. But I Love it. So much fun. You can jump the wake with no effort at all. I could not be happier with my choice.