PDA

View Full Version : Really Frustrating Day on Lake Help!

KCMobius
06-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Okay, I know there have been many threads on vapor lock and maybe this is what I have but man! how frustrating can it get.
I posted a week or two ago and found that I didn't have a fuel filter so I added one hoping that would help my issue. Well it has only gotten worse and I really feel it is heat that is the cause.
I went out on the lake today, drove 10 minutes to our favorite wakeboarding spot. Everything was running fine. Then we sit around for a while to get everything ready. Get boarder in the water and then wow, engine bogs down under load. I had the blower on at all times. So I open the motor cover and let it air out for a while, say 7 or 8 minutes. Still will not run under load, bogs down. We wait about 20 minutes and let things cool down. After that boat runs great again. weel we had two more bad spells where we had to wait 20 minutes before we could run good again. I think maybe there is some type of thermostat that will not let the boat run over 2000 RPM if over a set point temperature; maybe 185 deg. F. The engine compartment really gets hot after we shut down the engine especially if we don't open the cover. Once we get running good again the engine temperatue cools to 135 deg. I need help. Should I go with the 2nd fuel pump? Better gas? maybe another blower? I just now after having this boat for one month that this is not whatI had in mind for having fun! Please help if you can!

scoot_gt
06-17-2011, 09:36 PM
In my experience, she won't crank when Vapor Lock occurred. Or she will crank and sound REALLY rough. If yours is running, I'd think it might be something other than vapor lock. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by bogs down under load.

KCMobius
06-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Yes I agree, from most of the "vapor lock" posts they say it won't start. Mine starts fine just won't run over 2000 rpm. I ran at about 5 to 6 MPH no problem, just won't run any faster. Then when I let it cool for a long time (20 to 30 minutes) runs like a top.

smokedog2
06-17-2011, 10:15 PM
throw some water eater in the gas. you can pull the fuel line & look. I bet it is milk.

smokedog2
06-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Guys with this, use one can of sprite on the fuel line and are good to go. I saw this first hand, he just would rather spend $100 than buy extra sprite :)

KCMobius
06-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Just to let you know,

Fuel was not milky when I first had this issue (1 1/2 weeks ago) and put in the fuel filter and cleaned the fuel pump inlet filter.

Also I tried numerous times pouring cold water on the fuel pump and hd no luck with it.

Almost makes me think it may not be a fuel issue??

lrock
06-18-2011, 11:04 AM
I am having the exact same problem. Just got boat back from the shop and putting in the water later today. The thought is that the ethanol in the fuel is clogging the fuel filter with debris. This overheats the fuel pump and causes the problem. I have put on a new filter and had it completely clogged after 10 hours.

Lrock
06 outback v

KCMobius
06-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Took the Boat Out again.

I am convinced this is an overheating problem and not a fuel problem. If the temperature gauge reads below 180 F I have no issues. Problem is when the bovery slow (no at is either in idle or run wake speeds) the boat gets hot and if over 180 F I cannot run over 1800 to 2000 RPM maybe 5 to 6 MPH. Then the boat gets really hot say 220 F.

I left the boat set for probably 1 1/2 hours today and it never cooled below 180 F. Where is all the heat generated from?? Then after I get it below the 180 I can run at full speed and the temperature gets below 135 F.

My guess is that the boat was not de-winterized properly, or the impeller is not cooling properly???

Help! this boat is driving me crazy, runs great until it sets a while then gets hot and won't cool down??

newty
06-19-2011, 12:47 AM
You checked your impellar, intake strainer, or trans cooler?

Sounds like the boat is just getting hot and going into limp mode.

KCMobius
06-19-2011, 08:47 AM
I agree newty I think you are on the right track. I will replace the impeller first. Should have done that anyway, when you buy a used boat you just don't know the history.

Another thought I had was maybe the thermostat sticking?? any thought on that?

hgvandy
06-19-2011, 01:33 PM
I had a similar issue and it had to do with my impeller. I had recently changed the impeller and did not get one of the screws through the gasket correctly. I knew what was wrong when I saw water coming out when idling or trying to start it. Luckily a had another gasket on the boat. After changing it, everything worked like a charm. Funny thing is, the boat worked fine for the first hour with no overheating, but as the gasket got worse, the boat did too.

mmandley
06-20-2011, 10:07 AM
I agree newty I think you are on the right track. I will replace the impeller first. Should have done that anyway, when you buy a used boat you just don't know the history.

Another thought I had was maybe the thermostat sticking?? any thought on that?

Id replace the T stat as well as its a cheap part and after many years they do tend to stick since there never really designed to dry out. They are designed to always be wet from an enclosed cooling system.

KCMobius
06-20-2011, 12:01 PM
I have a new thermostat and new impeller on order now, will replace them when I get them. $50 is small price to pay for a day at the lake without headaches! Thanks to everyone for your help! I really feel like this will solve the problem. I will let you all know how it works out.

newty
06-20-2011, 12:20 PM
What kind of shape was the impellar in. Where there viens missing?
If so I would look downstream at your trans cooler and make sure the parts aren't hanging up in that screen.

There could be parts there from a previously failed impellar.

KCMobius
06-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks Newty, you are right on target! I took out the thermostat, it looked pretty bad but when I tested it (in a pot of water on stove) it worked fine. Then got to the impeller, basically no fins. Then followed that hose and jackpot, full of rubber parts from the impeller. No wonder there was no cooling going on. My new parts wont get here until Monday but I will take time to get everything cleaned out and be ready to install it Monday.

Thanks for the help!

newty
06-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Good deal!

You might order 2 just to have a spare.

rdlangston13
06-23-2011, 11:10 AM
i always thought the cooling water went thru the transmission before the engine?

newty
06-23-2011, 01:00 PM
RD, it goes through the V-drive to the impellar then to a remote trans cooler/heat exchanger.

KCMobius
06-29-2011, 10:39 PM
:-D

All is good now, put the thermostat in and the impeller.

Ran for 5 minutes and checked everything, looked good. Ran a few wakeboard runs then found that I didn't tighten down the impeller cover enough. Had a leak. Took me a while but got it tight and all was good the rest of the night. Never got temp gauge much above 160. From reading about install, I was worried about over tightening the brass screws. Well I didn't tighten enough. Live and learn!

Thanks again to all for your help.