PDA

View Full Version : Bad Rattle on Steering when pulling up boarder

LyndonH Dubai
06-17-2011, 03:37 AM
I have an extremely bad rattle on the steering when I first pull a wakeboarder out of the water.
it happens frequently, especailly with the more 'robust' boarders.
If i let the wheel turn through my fingers and boat is turning it eases the rattle, but if I hold the wheel firmly, it rattles and shakes a bit too
a mechanic (who wasnt really the best so didnt trust him at all!) once said to me that there is a steering channel in the boat and its the two metal sections hitting each other, and this is located under the engine. he said the only way to rectfy this was to change the old channel for a new one - and wait for it - the whole engine has to be removed to do this?
now im no expert on this boat, but surely that cannot be right?
does any one else have this issue or have had it and any ideas how it can be fixed??
its so annoying and everyone who comes on the boat comments on it?
please help and this is driving me nuts!
(the boat is a Moomba 2004 XLV gravity games edition.
cheers

mmandley
06-17-2011, 08:42 AM
My first thought is check all the connections under the dash.

My first repair would be a new steering cable if everything looks tight.

Im really leaning towards the rudder being loose and your feeling vibrations threw it traveling up the steering cable.

Go check all the connections at the dash, then check the connections at the steering linkage to the rudder.

Grab the rudder and see if you can shake it. You shouldnt be able to.

This is what i would be looking at more so.

04OUTBACK
06-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Have same issue.
Here are my 2 thoughts..
1. check the connection where the steering cable connects to rudder.. There is a CLEVIS. it bolts onto cable and to rudder arm. Make sure it is tight. i am contemplating replacing mine

2. What prop do you have? I have the OJ 4 Blade 14.25x14 . Am switching to an Acme 1847 this weekend. we'll see how that goes..

If you find something different, i am anxious to know. mine is just as you describe..

spyder
06-17-2011, 01:23 PM
I've had this as well, it comes and goes.. but it is annoying.

bzubke1
06-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Have someone check out the trans and v-drive. I had this problem before I got my new prop put on and the service guy who put the prop on said the input or output shaft on either the v-drive or tranmission was really loose and close to causing damage. Since he tightened it up i havent noticed the vibration when pulling out of the hole. It could have been the prop causing the vibration but it has to be one of the two because those were the only things that changed.

KG's Supra24
06-17-2011, 02:09 PM
I have had this same issue and it started at the end of last summer. Last weekend my prop shedded a blade, right into the hull.

I am hoping it was the prop causing the issue. Mine only happened when heavily weighted which lead me to believe it was the prop versus something steering wise (i could be completely wrong). I should know something this weekend, though, as I am putting on a new Acme.

I'll try to remember to post the results here and let you know if it fixed the issue.

I had the OJ wakeboard prop.

schuylski
06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm interested in this as well. It's funny I just noticed this same sort of thing last weekend but never would have thought about it until reading this post. It wasn't terrible but definitely noticeable right when pulling people up... I chalked it up to me being overly concerned with vibrations and thought maybe it had always done that. We'll see if it continues. I got the stock OJ wakeboard prop... and think I may have had about enough of it. Trade anyone??? Ok fine, I'll throw in a TUBE too!

04outback it'll be interesting to see if the Acme cleans it up.

04OUTBACK
06-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Installed the ACME 1847 this weekend. got out on the lake yesterday..

WOW. BIG improvement on vibration! Wish I had done sooner! I did not tow anyone (Fathers Day here was more like Memorial day everywhere else!! lines at boat ramp in and out!!!)

First thing though was NO GROWL.. Secondly, I didnt get the shutter. I had over 900lbs of people in the boat so that usually mimics the load of pulling up a rider. I cant say definitively that the shutter is gone completely until I pull up a rider..

Changes the sound of the ride.. weird.. I got used to some of the sounds i guess.

I wouldnt mind sending my OJ out to get inspected sometime or have the balance checked..

It seems that everyone who mentions the shutter doesnt have it initially, it develops later.. don't know if that is the prop or things in the boat wearing down..

I do know that i have struggled with keeping the shaft coupling tight! the hose clamps vibrate loose 2-3 times a year.. think that will pass..

KG's Supra24
06-20-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm seeing similar results as 04outback!!

The vibration I had when underload and pulling someone up seems to have disappeared once the new Acme 1433 went on.

Only time will tell.

loudsubz
07-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Similar issue although I have an acme prop already, only really notice under heavy loads.....