PDA

View Full Version : Squeal on start

schuylski
06-16-2011, 03:57 PM
So the Moomba has been squealing when starting it the first time each day - now it happens pretty regularly although not always. Lasts maybe 30 secs to a min. Only happens on the first start each day when putting the boat in, each start afterwards is fine, even after floating for a while. I take the boat out of the water each day. It's the 325, got about 80 hours - bought new end of last August. Thoughts? It's starting to drive me crazy. Doesn't seem to matter whether kept inside or outside overnight it still does it the next morning. I can't figure out what's different about why it does it sometimes and why not, and lately it's been always doing it :confused:

riderite
06-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Could be your belt....

mmandley
06-16-2011, 04:53 PM
id bet its the alternator belt, once its warm it stops and then it fine all day till you park it over night again.

schuylski
06-16-2011, 05:27 PM
how do i make it stop?

DOCDRS
06-16-2011, 10:56 PM
tighten the belt by shifting the alternator.....there may be a flat spot on your belt and it may need replacing....how may hours and years are on the belt? there should be about a 1/2" up n down play on the belt

mmandley
06-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Since your a 2010 boat take it back to the dealer if hes close by. Other wise on the ALternator braket there should be a square hole to put a ratchet in and add pressure to it.

Other wise loosen the mounting bolts and grab a pry bar, not a huge one just one long enough to give you leverage.

Make sure you prying against something strong like the engine block or something metel thats not an engine component like a starter or pump of some sort. Then add pressure to the alterntor case to tighten then belt. The with your free hand tighten the bolts in the alternator. Done.