PDA

View Full Version : OJ Props

KG's Supra24
06-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Has anyone had major issues with their OJ props?

I had the OJ factory "wakeboard" prop. Last weekend one of the four blades came completely off. I did not hit anything. We were just about to pull up a rider and the whole boat started shaking.

Got the boat back on the trailer and the fin had flung off and into the fiberglass causing a decent size cut.

Just curious if anyone else has seen this. I talked to Nettle Props and they said they have seen it a couple times but OJ isn't recognizing it as a problem. I emailed OJ but have heard nothing back.

Needless to say, I will now be running an Acme.

you da man
06-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Heard of OJ losing a blade on occasion, rare but I remember it on Wakeworld

skylar18
06-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Season 4 and my OJ is holding up great. Even after being repaired a couple times from my marina guys hitting it with the lift.

KG's Supra24
06-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Heard of OJ losing a blade on occasion, rare but I remember it on Wakeworld

Yes, I lost a blade. That is probably a better word than "fin".

dru1974
06-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Never heard of that but I know I won't be buying an oj in the future.

dusty2221
06-16-2011, 03:11 PM
This thread is worthless without pics. Dongtard.

cab13367
06-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Hard to believe that a prop blade would just shear off without hitting anything. Not saying I don't believe you, but just seems very unlikely but I guess there could have been a defect in the casting process. Anything's possible. I ran my stock OJ for the first three years and never had any problems with it (other than not having enough holeshot when loaded down) but that's a function of prop selection, not problem with the prop.

Razzman
06-16-2011, 03:13 PM
I've had no issues with mine. In fact I sent mine to Eric @ OJ two weeks ago for a config rework and he had it back to me in less than a week after recieving it. Fwitw I've seen Acme's do the same thing but something has to be hit at some point to happen.

KG's Supra24
06-16-2011, 03:20 PM
I emailed OJ early this week and was hoping to hear something back.

I can understand where one would think I hit something but I did not. We just switched riders, sitting in 40+ ft of water in a cove we had been running up and down all weekend with no sight of debris, hit the throttle and the boat felt like it was going to rattle apart.

I ran this prop for over 150 hours last season with no issues and I'm assuming its the same prop that came from the factory.

Here are a couple pics from the camera phone ....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/dusty2221/dongtard2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/dusty2221/dongtard1.jpg

skylar18
06-16-2011, 03:28 PM
ouch.....too bad it couldn't have come off pointed away from the boat.

lsvboombox
06-16-2011, 03:44 PM
ouch.....too bad it couldn't have come off pointed away from the boat.

this is the luck I have.. Not only would I lose a 500 dollar prop but I now need glass work!!!!!

skylar18
06-16-2011, 03:46 PM
you and I have the same luck then!

KG's Supra24
06-16-2011, 05:52 PM
I've had no issues with mine. In fact I sent mine to Eric @ OJ two weeks ago for a config rework and he had it back to me in less than a week after recieving it. Fwitw I've seen Acme's do the same thing but something has to be hit at some point to happen.

Where there symptoms that caused you to do the config rework? Is it recommended that this is done ever so often?

sandm
06-16-2011, 06:31 PM
wowsers. never seen that before. that sucks...

The oj I have on the shelf feels and looks every bit as good as my acme in the area of machining and quality control..
bet it's a fluke that both can have from time to time..

I'd join the group that it probably hit some underwater obstacle or trailer at some point.

gl with the repair and if you shop for another one, lots of data on the comparisons between acme/oj :) a topic probably beat to death on here...

Razzman
06-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Where there symptoms that caused you to do the config rework? Is it recommended that this is done ever so often?

The stock '07 wakeboard prop is notorious for it's low speed growl. OJ reworked it to eliminate it. A litlle better take off out of the hole now and no growl.

jmvotto
06-16-2011, 08:27 PM
how big are the fish in the lake?

wow that just sucks.

Wake Master
06-16-2011, 09:50 PM
I had the same problem with an OJ 07 wakeboard prop. One blade came off without hitting anything. I was lucky no damage to the boat. When you look close at the prop where it broke you can see flux from the pore into the mold caused defects where the blade broke. I called OJ sent the prop to them and they sent me a new prop. They were very easy to work with.

wolfeman131
06-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Dongtard.

HAHAHAHHAHA! Dongtard. That's even better than "jackleg"

I actually had to work some today and missed all the drama until now and it surprised me that you saved this fantastic adjective for this thread and not that one.

cab13367
06-17-2011, 01:25 AM
I had the same problem with an OJ 07 wakeboard prop. One blade came off without hitting anything. I was lucky no damage to the boat. When you look close at the prop where it broke you can see flux from the pore into the mold caused defects where the blade broke. I called OJ sent the prop to them and they sent me a new prop. They were very easy to work with.

There you go, KG. I think this is what happened in your case as well. Seems like OJ should send you a new prop but they will probably not pay to repair the consequential damage that it caused.

KG's Supra24
06-17-2011, 09:44 AM
"dongtard" is a direct violation of one of the rules, dont really know which one bc i dont care. I demand Dusty be reprimanded asap, or i call skiers choice. :p

I was given Eric @ OJ's email address and contacted him. He responded this morning and requested I send the prop in. I'll keep the thread updated.

KG's Supra24
06-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Acme 1433 went on this weekend, replacing the OJ "wakeboard" prop that came apart on me.

OJ has requested I send the old one back so I guess we will see if the can diagnose the problem.

As most have reported, the Acme seems to feel smoother.

rdlangston13
06-21-2011, 09:39 AM
I was out on lake Ray Hubbard two weeks ago and I was spotting large fish that would come to surface directly in front of the boat whole cruising. We were riding in a cove along side a bridge and after we were done i was draining my ballast and idling back to gottop69s sweet looking mobius LSV when there was a heavy thud. I shut the boat of and started inspecting things for possible damage and could see nothing. The water was 30 ft deep and I did not ever see any stumps in the area. The prop had no damage that I could see and did not vibrate or "growl" any more than it did before any speed. I'm convinced I hit a fish, anyone experienced anything like this?

KG's Supra24
06-21-2011, 09:41 AM
PETA isn't going to be happy with the thread ...

I don't think I've ever hit a fish but who knows. If the prop was damaged, you would def feel a vibration.

rdlangston13
06-21-2011, 09:45 AM
PETA isn't going to be happy with the thread ...

I don't think I've ever hit a fish but who knows. If the prop was damaged, you would def feel a vibration.

That's the thing, I have always had a vibration or buzz but I don't know if it is the normal growl they say to expect with the oj wakeboard prop or if it is something else. Guess I just need to buy a new prop and see if it goes away

KG's Supra24
06-21-2011, 09:56 AM
That's the thing, I have always had a vibration or buzz but I don't know if it is the normal growl they say to expect with the oj wakeboard prop or if it is something else. Guess I just need to buy a new prop and see if it goes away

I dealt with the vibration since I bought the boat 2 Decembers ago. Maybe I should have swapped? I'm not sure because I can't imagine what happened to my prop happens to a lot of people. Had just the prop broken, I wouldn't have been too bummed, sucked to pay for fiberglass damage too, though.

KG's Supra24
07-10-2011, 03:38 AM
Update:

Sent the prop off to Eric at OJ, they inspected and determined the prop had not been previously repaired. The prop was not under warranty but he said it shouldn't have happened and sent a brand new prop my way, free of charge.

Great customer service and real easy to deal with. Love to see it turn out like that, above and beyond! Appreciate it Eric.

Kidder522
07-16-2015, 10:52 PM
Hey everyone. Just had to do some research on this because it just happened to me today. Took the wife for a great ski and was my turn was next. Got up out of the water and just about to start my first carve and the boat started to slow down to a stop. My wife, and and my 2 girls had a scared look on their faces and told me they heard a loud crack and the the boat started to vibrate. That is when the wife pulled the throttle back. Took boat out of the water and notice my OJ prop only had 3 blades. No damage to the boat (thank god). I phoned prop masters in Airdrie Alberta and they are shipping one to me. Crazy day and I thought this is just my bad luck. But as I see, others have been here before.

Hope to get it on Saturday, saving my holidays.

Richard.

Kidder522
07-27-2015, 03:44 PM
Update on my broken prop. Talked to Sue and Eric at OJ today and sent some pictures in. He indicated that it was previously been repaired. Asked him how and he indicated to the numbers scratched into the back. (See picture). Needless to say, no replacement since they did not repair. I have an Acme 1235 on now and my LSV purrs. 22625

If you don't know if your prop has been repaired look a repair number on the back.
Richard

ian ashton
07-27-2015, 09:25 PM
Wow, I should contact them about mine! Same thing happened without warning or impact!

jmvotto
07-28-2015, 10:46 PM
I assume yours was new with the boat , but worth a phone call.

DatTexasBoy
07-29-2015, 08:00 AM
I was out on lake Ray Hubbard two weeks ago and I was spotting large fish that would come to surface directly in front of the boat whole cruising. We were riding in a cove along side a bridge and after we were done i was draining my ballast and idling back to gottop69s sweet looking mobius LSV when there was a heavy thud. I shut the boat of and started inspecting things for possible damage and could see nothing. The water was 30 ft deep and I did not ever see any stumps in the area. The prop had no damage that I could see and did not vibrate or "growl" any more than it did before any speed. I'm convinced I hit a fish, anyone experienced anything like this?

We hit one on the Dirty T one day surfing. actually saw the fish surface behind the boat cut in half.

mjr119
07-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Not sure if I've hit a fish with the prop, but my buddy was riding his sky ski a few weeks ago and we saw 2 fish fly up that looked to be cut in half! Both my wife and I saw it! I think the foil sliced them up.