PDA

View Full Version : Surf Rope

E4NASH
06-16-2011, 01:33 PM
So I found a CWB Ride on ebay for a real good price and wifey got it for me for Father's day. It was used a little and doesn't come with the rope or DVD that they usually come with. So I am in the market for a rope...do any of you have any recomendations?

Right now I am deciding between these two:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=14632&pdesc=Proline_LG_Surf_Handle_with_20_Mainline&aID=600D1&merchID=4006

and

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=43514&pdesc=Proline_T_Bar_Package&aID=600D1&merchID=4006

I think this is the one that comes with the Ride usually

lsvboombox
06-16-2011, 01:44 PM
i got the t handle... for beginners anything with a loop freaks me out... Have a fear that its gonna catch them and drag them...

KG's Supra24
06-16-2011, 01:51 PM
I like my handle but I think it is just personally preference. I think you will find a pretty solid mix here between T handle and normal handle.

lsvboombox does make a good point about a normal handle getting caught.

KG's Supra24
06-16-2011, 01:51 PM
and by normal handle I mean surf handle (like your first link), not a large wakeboard style handle.

E4NASH
06-16-2011, 01:55 PM
I am a beginner, as in NEVER tried it, but I think I would like the "normal" handle better

THSEADOO
06-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Personally I like the ropes that do not have a handle. Been surfing for several years and tend to like them better, but as someone said it is all personal preference. Link for one is below:

http://www.amazon.com/25-Knotted-Wake-Surf-Rope/dp/B004APDWCE/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1308247073&sr=8-13

dusty2221
06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Add me into the "normal" handle. One thing I like about it over just a knotted surf rope, is for two up surfing. With my little girl, the excess drag it takes to come up out of the water would play hell on the hands trying to hold onto just the knot.

E4NASH
06-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Add me into the "normal" handle. One thing I like about it over just a knotted surf rope, is for two up surfing. With my little girl, the excess drag it takes to come up out of the water would play hell on the hands trying to hold onto just the knot.

Good point! Handle it is! I am sure I will be doing the same thing with mine...

bergermaister
06-16-2011, 02:34 PM
I've been using a normal rope with ski handle for surfing. Last summer I was riding with slack rope, holding a couple loops and somehow ended up with it wrapped like a half hitch around my middle finger as I fell. I dragged myself up with the other hand and was lucky enough to get it off before letting go as the boat was still moving. Pretty sure it would have pulled that finger right out of the socket or worse - clean off. Scared the sh..t out of me and it was really stiff and painful to move for a few days after that. Just a stupid little thing but could have ended really badly.

I'm going to buy either a T handle or a thick style rope with no handle for this year.

Looking at a Pro Line 16ft with T or maybe an Obrien 25ft knotted style, but leaning more towards the Pro Line.

Waynes345
06-16-2011, 02:55 PM
We've got the rope with the small T handle, but to be honest, our whole crew starts by holding the knots well in front of the handle. Saves you from having to pull over the wave.

sailing217
06-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Have the 'T' with knots in front of it. I don't have to worry about a kid getting their arm through it and ripping something off; scary moment with the 'small handle style' rope

cab13367
06-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Put me in the no handle camp. I just don't see a need for it and it adds an element of danger. I come up double with my daughter just fine with the knotted rope. I basically cradle her in my lap and do the hanging on for both of us, works just fine and there's no chance that she would get her little arm caught in the handle (I would never forgive myself). It actually works better because we can both hang on to separate knots but I do the "heavy lifting" and she just pulls herself up a little. Seems like it would be hard to put 4 hands on a small wakesurf handle.

Now if you are a big, heavy dude, a handle might make it easier to get up.

mmandley
06-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Put me in the no handle camp. I just don't see a need for it and it adds an element of danger. I come up double with my daughter just fine with the knotted rope. I basically cradle her in my lap and do the hanging on for both of us, works just fine and there's no chance that she would get her little arm caught in the handle (I would never forgive myself). It actually works better because we can both hang on to separate knots but I do the "heavy lifting" and she just pulls herself up a little. Seems like it would be hard to put 4 hands on a small wakesurf handle.

Now if you are a big, heavy dude, a handle might make it easier to get up.

i would agree with Al here, i use his rope sometimes when im with him, if i was pulling myself and someone else up i would use the rope. I will say after a day of wake boarding and your hands are tired the small handle sure makes it easier.

Another thing is if you have people with weaker grip the handle will make up for that.

Ive used Als quite a few times but my hands get tired a lot faster.

I used the T handle for a while too but 1 time to the jewels is all it took to return that handle

rc5695
06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
I could see where a regular handle could be dangerous. I had a friend get hurt when I was a kid for letting some rope sit inhis leg on a kneeboard. Busted his ankle when he full 'cuz the rope wrapped around it :(

I surfed a couple weekends ago for the first time, and was looking at surf ropes. I'm cheap, so i decided to make my own. ~23' long with ~15' of braided line (3) and a huge knot at the end. We'll see how it works next weekend...
https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8060&d=1307831731

kaneboats
06-17-2011, 12:40 PM
I made my first surf rope too. Then I found one on ebay during winter that sold for about $10. I actually cut down a handle on the first one to make a small T handle like on the real ones. I braided together 2-3 old ropes to make it thicker.

bergermaister
06-17-2011, 01:00 PM
I used the T handle for a while too but 1 time to the jewels is all it took to return that handle

LOL - never thought about that one... If you're going to toss me the rope when I'm drifting back you better aim high sucka!!!

deepcove
06-19-2011, 12:04 AM
We try to make a game of throwing the handle as well....but we ride in salt....so basically getting the handle to land in the rubbermaid bin on the back seat is a slam dunk!!!! LOL

bergermaister
06-21-2011, 12:36 AM
I just got the ProLine T-handle, blue/white for a late Father's Day gift and I was surprised to find that the thick braided end in front of the T is only 3ft long or so. I was thinking it would be a little longer so when you need to pull yourself closer to the boat it doesn't narrow up so quickly and you have more to hold onto.

Hmmmm.... Sort of liking the idea of a longer homemade braided one now. I guess we'll have to give this one a try though.

E4NASH
06-21-2011, 04:16 PM
I ended up getting the Proline LG Surf Pacakge wht\Blk...

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=14632