PDA

View Full Version : Second fuel pump to prevent Vapor Lock

skylar18
06-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Just wondering if anyone has put the second fuel pump on your boat to prevent vapor lock on pre I think 2008 engines? This is my fourth season and thought I was lucky because I never had vapor lock even down here where it seems to always be hot.

Well this year it is starting to happen. Only twice so far but with my wife and the kids on it alone most of the time, really want to prevent it from happening.

I can get the second fuel pump from my dealer for about 250 bucks. If someone has done it, how easy is it to install?

Thanks

mmandley
06-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Im not sure a second pump will fix this problem, the problem is the Lines from the to the fuel pump are getting hot, even if you have a second pump forward of aft i doubt it will fix this problem. I would look more in the direction of getting a pump in the tank like the 2010 boats, or a way to keep that fuel pump and lines cool. Isolate them from the engine heat. This is whats causing the issue.

Razzman
06-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Vapor lock is obviously vaporizing of fuel, i don't see how a second pump would solve the issue. Cooling the fuel through the pump and lines would be the answer imo. Has your fuel changed? What fuel grade do you run?

Razzman
06-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Im not sure a second pump will fix this problem, the problem is the Lines from the to the fuel pump are getting hot, even if you have a second pump forward of aft i doubt it will fix this problem. I would look more in the direction of getting a pump in the tank like the 2010 boats, or a way to keep that fuel pump and lines cool. Isolate them from the engine heat. This is whats causing the issue.

We must have been typing at the same time lol!

skylar18
06-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Same fuel 91. Put stabil in about every tankful. My dealer said it was Indmar's recommendation to install a low pressure fuel pump in the chain. That is what they have done to many boats down here and my dealar said that has solved the problem.

Of course they could be saying that to sell me the $250 dollar kit! I did talk to the parts guy and an actual mechanic separately about the problem and they both said with no hesitation that was the fix.

I did notice after the second time that my fuel filter was not replaced like it was suppossed to for it's annual maintenance. I replaced that. Hopefully that was gummed up a bit and was giving me the same symptoms as vapor lock. However, if it happens again, I probably will have to do something.

wolfeman131
06-16-2011, 09:48 AM
I have also been told that the 2nd pump helps to alleviate the issue, but am skeptical. I need to look for a solution as in GA they have upped the ethanol percentage to 15% and very few stations offer the ethanol-free fuel.

kaneboats
06-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Oh, crap! What do they have at the station down the road from you? I know the BP in Milledgeville had ethanol free last year.

lsvboombox
06-16-2011, 10:54 AM
have you looked into this solution?

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=49-5137

skylar18
06-16-2011, 11:05 AM
yep, that is exactly what the dealer is trying to sell me for about that exact same price. Trying to find someone who tried it and figure out if it worked and how easy was it to install.

I like the cheaper solution of trying to keep the hoses cooler!

Garn
06-16-2011, 11:13 AM
My friend has a Supra, I think a 2008, and it was doing that. When he called the dealer the dealer knew exactly what he was talking about and said it needed a 2nd fuel pump and that Skier's Choice was aware of the problem and that it would be covered under warrantee. So he took it in and they added the 2nd pump for nothing. The problem was immediately resolved and he has never had vapor locking again. So check with Skiers Choice and your dealer.

Garn

zabooda
06-16-2011, 11:21 AM
You can get an in-line pump at the automotive stores much cheaper. I put something like the pump in Skidim in my older motorhome and it was even overkill for the 454 with something like 60g/hr pump rate and it was noisy. I got an in-line pump I use to refuel the boat at the automotive store for about $40. You just have to figure a boat burns 5g/hr and more during acceleration so a pump needs to pump at least 10g/hr. I would think a pump near the gas tank would pressurize the gas and keep it from vaporizing or if it did vaporize while sitting the boost pump would force the vaporized gas through the primary fuel pump.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Mr-Gasket-2-to-3-5-PSI-42-GPH-electric-fuel-pump-for-import-carburetors/_/N-25jp?counter=2&filterByKeyWord=fuel+pump&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=732036_0_0_