PDA

View Full Version : Helped a stranded Moomba owner tonight

you da man
06-16-2011, 02:18 AM
My lady friend and I were on our boat in an area known as "the alley" where most wakeboats go. It was only us, one damn tuber, and a Moomba LSV. The Moomba had been surfing for almost two hours straight...pull after pull. We saw them just outside "the alley" floating for a bit. After a while we decided to drain our ballast and head in since it was almost sunset. I looked over my shoulder and saw the Moomba being towed by a Bass Tracker boat. I pulled up closer to them and saw the boat was pre-2009 or 2010 so I asked if the boat would crank. The guy said yes and that they had plenty of gas. I asked them if they had cold water on board and which point the wife holds up one of those 2 gallon thermos jugs. I stayed in my boat but directed him to the fuel pump and told his wife to pour the cold water on it slowly for a few minutes. We waited 10 min and chatted and then the boat fired right up. Nice to help a stranded boater without having to tow them.

KSmith
06-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Well Done Sir, Well Done Indeed!!

sailing217
06-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Good karma. Have a good season

langmotorsports
06-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Ok so whats the deal with these fuel pumps? They heating up and vapor locking? Where on my 05 LSV is it located?

dru1974
06-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Great call. I don't know where yours is I have a new one and shouldn't have this problem but I have heard of it alot.

rdlangston13
06-22-2011, 09:59 AM
ok so far i have never had this issue but just in case i do run into it one day. where is the fuel pump on my 08? i would think it would be in the gas tank which would make pouring water on it somewhat difficult

gonracn
06-22-2011, 02:37 PM
I ran into to this very issue myself this weekend with my 08 XLV. Poured the the water over the fuel pump and baam, it started!!! Thank God I read this forum as we were stuck in the rain and hail storm!!!

So, what can be done to prevent this? Elec pump, so I am thinking I caould wrap it to insulate it from soaking up the engine heat. It appears to me that there really needs to be a vent put in that comaprtment to allow the heat to escape or relate the pump away from it.

What has others done as this must be a situation others have ran into.

KSmith
06-22-2011, 02:40 PM
ok so far i have never had this issue but just in case i do run into it one day. where is the fuel pump on my 08? i would think it would be in the gas tank which would make pouring water on it somewhat difficult

They only started putting the fuel pump in the gas tanks in 2010, prior to that is is somewhere on or near the engine if I recall correctly.

you da man
06-22-2011, 03:46 PM
I ran into to this very issue myself this weekend with my 08 XLV. Poured the the water over the fuel pump and baam, it started!!! Thank God I read this forum as we were stuck in the rain and hail storm!!!

So, what can be done to prevent this? Elec pump, so I am thinking I caould wrap it to insulate it from soaking up the engine heat. It appears to me that there really needs to be a vent put in that comaprtment to allow the heat to escape or relate the pump away from it.

What has others done as this must be a situation others have ran into.

Skiers Choice is very aware of this problem so much that they have a "fix" for it but it'll cost you approx $500 for parts and labor for a second fuel pump. So you'll have 2 pumps. You'd think they would recall the effected year models and replace or fix with an adequate pump. Imagine how many Moomba owners (possibly Supra owners) are left stranded in adverse conditions, scared kids because they are in a broken boat, and cost of tow service to the unaware owner who could have poured water on the fuel pump. Please SC, step up and recall the boats and do the fix for free for the owners who pride themselves on their SC boats.

scoot_gt
06-22-2011, 04:17 PM
where is the fuel pump on my 08?

Check down under your oil filter - my 06 Outback V was located there.

rdlangston13
06-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Skiers Choice is very aware of this problem so much that they have a "fix" for it but it'll cost you approx $500 for parts and labor for a second fuel pump. So you'll have 2 pumps. You'd think they would recall the effected year models and replace or fix with an adequate pump. Imagine how many Moomba owners (possibly Supra owners) are left stranded in adverse conditions, scared kids because they are in a broken boat, and cost of tow service to the unaware owner who could have poured water on the fuel pump. Please SC, step up and recall the boats and do the fix for free for the owners who pride themselves on their SC boats.

they wont recall it until they start loosing lawsuits over it. all vehicle manufacturers operate the same way. item that are known wrong but are minor like this are listed as service bulletins. if people start getting killed over it and they have to start paying legal fees then they will issue a recall.

its as simple as what is cheaper, paying an occasional lawsuit or fixing all the defective products?