PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Stains!!!

snyderaaron
06-15-2011, 10:34 PM
How do I get these spots or stains out of vinyl. I've been using 303 Aerospace cleaner, but have a hard time getting them out.

ian ashton
06-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Malco, or if you have a Dollar General try their Totally Awesome cleaner.

With either, spray on, scrub with a brush, then rinse with a hose.

cab13367
06-16-2011, 02:11 AM
I use spray nine. Works great.

kaneboats
06-16-2011, 10:17 AM
l try their Totally Awesome cleaner.

Picked some of that stuff up the other day at Dollar Tree. I have to say, it's Fantastik.

ian ashton
06-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Picked some of that stuff up the other day at Dollar Tree. I have to say, it's Fantastik.

I leave my boat in the water, so the bottom gets scummy. Last night we yanked it out to give it a bath, I figured I'd try the Totally Awesome on the growth, and it was absolutely incredible. Usually I'll have to use vinegar and a ton of elbow grease - with the TA I just sprayed it on, agitated with the foam brush, and high pressure rinsed. Save me easily an hour of cleaning, LOVE THAT STUFF!

kaneboats
06-16-2011, 10:58 AM
My favorite stuff is one you can't find anymore. It's 409 Glass & Surface cleaner. It was as powerful as Totally Awesome (which I think is the same product as Fantastik and even smells like it) or 409, but you could use it on chrome and glass and stuff without leaving any streaks. I think they pulled it because nobody was buying any of their other crappy products. I bought a gallon of it off ebay but ran out and haven't seen any in a while.

Mikey
06-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Fantastic works well as well,just be sure to use the version WITHOUT bleach. This was recommended to me by a local dealer.Then use 303 or whatever to seal afterwards.

moomba07
06-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Kane is this stuff safe to spray on the seats as you can tell so far?

kaneboats
06-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I just got it and haven't used it on the boat yet. I think it's the same product as Fantastik. BTW, the 409 glass & surface is still available from commercial suppliers, just not local retailers.

rc5695
06-17-2011, 12:40 PM
My fav. interior cleaner is Soft Scrub & a brush. Just get the basic one, no bleach or other additives. It removes about anything.

SnoBol works great on the exterior for water spots and such.

kaneboats
06-17-2011, 12:42 PM
I used to have a white boat. I used snobol all time to get the algae stains off of it.

rc5695
06-23-2011, 03:33 PM
anybody have an suggestiosn specific to ink? I've tried a citrus cleaner (like Goo-Gone), soft-scrub, penetrating oil, etc. :(

Canuckle Head
06-23-2011, 04:04 PM
anybody have an suggestiosn specific to ink? I've tried a citrus cleaner (like Goo-Gone), soft-scrub, penetrating oil, etc. :(

Malco. That stuff is awesome.

KSmith
06-23-2011, 04:34 PM
I've had pretty good luck with oxyclean on vinyl, but never tried it on ink stains.

A blurb from a cleaning site says
"Unusual cases such as ballpoint pen marks are one of the toughest stains to deal with. These marks may respond to alcohol. If they don't, the stained area should be covered with a white clean cloth soaked in hydrogen peroxide and leave it for 30 minutes or overnight."

Alcohol may dry out the vinyl but perhaps applying 303 afterwards would work ot prevent cracking?

Oxyclean is mostly hydrogen peroxide so perhaps either would work.

I dunno. I had a stain on vinyl (old boat) from cran-grape juice, hit it with every chemical I had and then some, nuthin worked... eventually used the oxyclean which lightened it a lot and then a day in the sun finished off the remaining stain... it just faded away during the day...

WaterBullDawg1980
06-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Totally Awesome is the best and I have tried them all. Except for Malco.

I use TA with a brush and EVERYTHING comes up. Last season I had 1 seat have about a 3 by 3 inch section of mildew on it from sitting on top of a old wet towel inside. Thought I was doing good keeping them inside, but apparently even then the bad stuff can get to them. Basically turned that small section black. I could have thrown it through the window I was so upset. Can't stand boat stains. Anyhow, I went and bought the Totally Awesome and it was exactly that. AWESOME. Just poured a little on the spot and scrubbed with a brush. It was instant.

Best stuff I have ever scene.

rc5695
06-24-2011, 07:17 AM
Malco. That stuff is awesome.

Which product? They have TONS! http://www.malcoautomotive.com/

I was also told to try a Magic Eraser.

It isn't ballpoint, it is Sharpie :(

I'll pick up some Totally Awesome on the way home today.

KSmith
06-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Don't use Magic Eraser! Nothing magic about it, it is abrasive and cleans by removing surface material!!

rc5695
06-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Well, striking out... Magic Erasure (used very lightly), Totally Awesome, rubbing alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide...Nothing touched it... I'm going to try email Sharpie now and see if they're any help...

rc5695
06-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Don't use Magic Eraser! Nothing magic about it, it is abrasive and cleans by removing surface material!!

Like the signature KSmith :cool:

MikeyMike
06-24-2011, 08:18 PM
I've used 3M Mildew & Stain Remover and it got off everthing on my seats. Dirt, mildew, scum, etc.. Not that they were that bad!! LOL

pdhj1990
06-26-2011, 03:47 PM
For cleaning and UV protection, here are two outstanding products:

Cleaner:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exquisite-Boat-Vinyl-Upholstery-Cleaner-/320403735377

UV Protection;
http://www.303products.com/

rdlangston13
07-12-2011, 05:34 PM
so i went to the dollar tree today to get some totally awesome since i am out of vinyl sauce and dont have time to get some in before this weekend and they had like 15 different kinds of totally awesome. what kind is everyone using for their boat vinyl?