PDA

View Full Version : spoiled

skiyaker
06-15-2011, 09:27 PM
So the other day at our ski club I got to slalom behind a 1991 supra impulse closed bow tournament boat- it looks just like a ts6m and I think it has that hull correct me if I'm wrong. It was the flattest wake I've ever skied behind even compared with the new nautique and malibus. Now keep in mind I'm skiing at 15 off 30mph so I'm sure they're not designing the new tournament boats to suit my ability- but I'll never be the same.

come on SC you've got to have that mold somewhere in a warehouse- bust it out for an anniversary edition or something! When I get to the point in life where I have the resources to have 2 boats I want that boat to still exist!

iwaterskihard
06-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Skiyaker - our first boat was a 1987 Supra tsm6comp closed bow. Our family had LOTS of fun in that boat and some days I almost still miss it? Actually I don't miss it, just the memories so thank god for digital cameras! :)

WIth that said my daughter started getting to the ages where the most common line right after I said "Lets go to the lake" was "Can I bring a so and so? Or can this person come too?" Problem was if we said yes - I didn't get to ski as we had 4 kids in the boat!

So after some very hard searching and some real luck I ended up finding our 06 Outback. It only had 55 hours on it and was in showroom condition. Had to drive 36 hours round trip to bring her home but I have NOT once said I miss anything about my Supra now that I have this Outback DD.

I personally love the wake on this new to us boat. The boat stays true and now we are ALL HAPPY! Matter of fact I like the wake MUCH better on my Outback DD than I did my Supra. I don't find it any bigger at all and I find it to be quite a bit softer!:p

Then again I'm ALL about slalom skiing and barefootin! First thing I did when I got the boat home was remove the ballast bag in the bag to make more room!
Good thing I didn't throw it away though as I did break down and get my daughters a wakeboard after much pleading and many hours or whining! (I don't like to admit that!) LOL

Those old classic boats were awsome though! The young guy that bought mine left my house with a smile on his face that would make any momma proud!

I'm sure the hull design still exists some place in the hollows? Just wonder if they can still build a new boat around that design with the move to the wake and surf boats overtaking 3 event boats? That and all the other bonuses we enjoy in our newer models.

zabooda
06-19-2011, 03:57 AM
The best boat I ski behind is the 1998 MC Prostar 190. Small and light. I skied behind the Boomerang and it had a great wake also. A good ski boat is a dying breed because skiing is a dying breed and people want lots of room so the boats are bigger. In the other thread, we're talking about getting sprayed in the face but the wakes on these boats are so small you hardly get a bounce.

skiyaker
06-19-2011, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=zabooda;144579]A good ski boat is a dying breed because skiing is a dying breed and people want lots of room so the boats are bigger.QUOTE]

so true- I could really only own a true slalom boat as a second boat with the type of boating we do- we have many times when we're out on the lake all day and need room for everybody and their gear along with lunch drinks and everything else. Right now I think I'm in a good place though with riding behind these boats out at the club that other people own. There's one guy who owns a 1987 ski supreme that he bought new and has kept in a garage since- that thing looks showroom. Simply amazing.

sandm
06-20-2011, 07:39 AM
you just need more friends :)

I supply the wake/surf boat, and a guy I work with that goes pretty regularly with us has a '94 boomerang. between us, we are able to satisfy any recreating needs..

phospher
06-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Any of you guys ever ski behind an American Skier? We have an 82 and the slalom wake is great.

viking
06-20-2011, 04:36 PM
A good ski boat is a dying breed because skiing is a dying breed and people want lots of room so the boats are bigger. In the other thread, we're talking about getting sprayed in the face but the wakes on these boats are so small you hardly get a bounce.

That's why there is STILL a market for the Outback LS! DD but yet still enough room for a family and friends.
I bought my OB and traded in my 90 CompTS6M closed bow. It's amazing how much more room there is in my Moomba compared to the older Supra Comp. The wakes aren't a whole lot different when not waited down with peeps. But now I can take the whole family and a few friends out for a day of fun where before I could not!

ptcbtchr
07-19-2011, 10:44 PM
I too had a 1988 supra comp ts6m which I just sold this spring. The boat gave me many pulls through the slalom course with amazing wakes and tracking. One of the major issues was a lack of room. My daughter was born in 1991 and grew up on this boat, even taking some of her first steps grabbing the rails on the side! I will always have a special place in my heart for this boat and the wakes were butter smooth. I truly enjoy the space my 2010 outback gives me as well as the solid pulls!!! As we grew older, it was difficult when you took out 5 people, a cooler, ski's , tubes etc. It was a circus act getting around the boat and I finally decided it was time to move to a slightly larger vessel. Still a direct drive addict, Love my outback.

Mark

chawk610
08-10-2011, 10:21 AM
I surrently own an '83 MC Stars and Stripes which we LOVE... I pull my wife and her twin sister double slalom. It is great for skiing... but like everyone else is saying... more than 4 people aboard and it gets a tad tight. I am actually in the market for a Moomba DD as we speak. So, there will be a solid MC ski boat for sale soon I hope!

kaneboats
08-10-2011, 10:41 AM
You should start a ski club of your own and keep the old MC. Use the dues to pay for storage and maintenance and give members a key. Have an online signup so each person knows when they have it and that it will be available. Nobody wants one of these for a primary boat anymore but everybody wants one available for skiing every now and then.

chawk610
08-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Well, I wouldn't say that... in the MC community they are slightly collectable... I bet I can sell her. As for a ski club, I am way to lazy to start or keep up with something like that! :D

kaneboats
08-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Well. I'm in a club like that. It's called an extended family. I have this one available and it just moved 6 hours closer to me:

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/kaneboats/KatesMC.jpg

chawk610
08-10-2011, 02:01 PM
That's a hunny of a boat! Maybe I shouldn't sell mine! :)

kaneboats
08-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Beautiful! Looking crowded though and also looks like you are set up for boarding. Unless you are a very serious slalom skier you'll never look back. I also noticed you are looking at the LS. There's a family of skiers on here (zegm) that love their LS as a "do everything" boat. It could be a very wise choice for you.

chawk610
08-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Thank you... yes sir, that is the point... our friends / family have to "take turns" which sucks... We typically will put (5) total people on at a time. My wife is the skiier, I am still trying to learn how... so for now I am afraid I only wakeboard. We were thinking about a V-Drive... but I am getting the feeling the DD's are better "multi-sport" boats?

kaneboats
08-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Well, "better" is a relative term. You can sack out a v-drive for serious wakeboarding and surfing. The LSV has an OK ski wake if you are not trying to run the slalom course. The NG (new generation) OBV has a very decent ski wake but it is not going to compare to the wake from your current MC. The LSV is probably the best do-everything boat because it is so good for wakeboarding and surfing and has so much room and you can still ski. The OBV is right there with it but a lot smaller but better ski wake and very good surf wake for its size (or any size for that matter). The LS from 2006 and newer is the same hull as the LSV but in the DD setup. It's harder to set up a lot of ballast and not quite as roomy but it has an excellent ski wake for a boat of its size. You really have to consider first what you do now and then what you will be doing in a year or two with a newer boat. Best of luck to you. BTW, I had several outboard boats then an Outback LS. I was primarily a skier. With 6 kids the LSV became the right choice. Right now I surf more than anything, wakeboard a little and hardly ever ski. All of the kids wakeboard. A few surf and two of them ski but are not exactly running the course. Good luck!

zegm
08-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Beautiful! Looking crowded though and also looks like you are set up for boarding. Unless you are a very serious slalom skier you'll never look back. I also noticed you are looking at the LS. There's a family of skiers on here (zegm) that love their LS as a "do everything" boat. It could be a very wise choice for you.

We had a 1975 Stars and Stripes and sold it in 2008 for 4500 dollars. So the old MCs do maintain their value. We just had to buy a bigger boat due to the total lack of room. With the LS we often go down the course and then fill the rear ballast and surf on the same day. You can actually see pictures of my son going down the course on this site behind the LS. Now the LS wake is bigger than the MC no doubt so we have keep the ski on the edge through the wake and it is OK, let up some and you are going to get some air, just make yourself stay on the edge. Now if I never had the old MC stars and stripe I would probably being saying the LS wake is great but really any of the old LIGHT skiboats really don't have a wake! Yes we love our LS and it hurt when SC stopped making it. Just means I have to keep this one for a long, long time.

usaski1
08-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Best boat I ever skied behind was prob the new Correct Craft 200. If only I had 70K for a new one... but I have even skied bad behind it too, so I know sometimes its the skiier and not the boat. I like my Outback (not ls) because its much bigger than the boat I had before (I used to have a MC 1980, and then bought a calabria in the early 2000's, Closed Bow 20 foot) I still ahvent had a killer set behind my Outback yet, this is my first year with it. ATM Im wishing I just did whatever it took and bought zero off for it. I put PP stargazer in it, not all that happy with it. Speaking of, does anyone know what it takes $$$ wise to update the ECM on an 08 Indmar DBW motor to put ZO in it? If I would have known I had to update the ECM, I might have bought an 09 instead.