PDA

View Full Version : Front trailer axle tire ware?

davidl
06-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi everyone long time no post! hope you all are doing well. I just got the boat out of storage and doing the regular check up and noticed the front tires on my tandom axle trailer are wearing on the inside. The tires look like there cambered out, could this be a weight issue as I have been keeping up with the water issue in the hulls and I am concerned this could be my issue. Any thoughts?

murraymoomba
06-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Our single axle is doing the same thing. I think the spindles are bent on ours. I thought about swapping the left one for the right and vice versa, maybe they will bend back straight.

mmandley
06-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Id be looking at the angle it sits when hooked to your tow vechicle.

To much forward weight and the tires wear on the insides due to a bowing effect. Same as if you jack your trucks front end up the bottom of the tires will bow in and wear the outsides faster.

Grab level and hook your trailer up and then set the level on the front half of the trailer. You want it level or slightly tilted to the front. Only slightly for Single axle trailers. Tandems really need to be perfectly level or you making the front axle work harder then it needs to.

You can do 1 of two things to fix the level, get a lift or drop hitch, or air bags for your tow vechicle. I personaly reccomend air bags for the tow truck because if the rear of the truck is sagging then your having the same effect on the truck and your also causing the drive train much more stress due to it not being level, also the brakes in the truck are effected by the rear of the truck being lower then the front.

kaneboats
06-16-2011, 10:29 AM
In the meantime, just swap the fronts with the rears on the same side. You'll still throw them away before you wear them out so don't worry too much about rotating.

davidl
06-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys great advise....have a great summer