PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell

plumcrazy
03-17-2005, 07:04 PM
We're taking a trip in April to the Lake Powell area and wondering if anyone on this board can gives us some pointers as to where to go, what to see, etc. We're considering retiring to the area after way to many New Hampshire winters and want to start looking now. We're obviously interested in the boating aspect, but we're avid motorcyclists as well and want take advantage of the terra firma also.
What is the water level situation in the area? We've heard different accounts; it's up, it's way down.....
Thanks in advance.
Dave and Linda
2000 Outback somewhere under that f**&&^% snow

Steve23
03-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Last summer on the www.wakeboarder.com forum someone posted that the water level was so low that at the main launch ramp at Bullweap the water level was below the end of the paved part of the launch ramp and that to get a boat out you needed a 4 wheel drive to get up the gravel section. Maybe post at a more active forum and see if you get more responses.

Good luck

macsfamily
03-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Hi, I live in Salt Lake City & visit Lake Powell at least twice a year for a week at a time. I absolutely love the place. At the end of last summer, the lake was approx. 120 feet below " full pool ". This may sound like a lot, but during this period we were cliff jumping in the main channel. We always check with a depth finder before jumping and at the location we found, the depth was 482 feet deep! I have been going to Powell for 12 years and the level fluctuates considerably, but the lake has always been very fun and in no way ever been " too " low. It is expected the lake will rise 70 feet this season due to a good winter ( moisture ) in the state. As far as moving to the area, you basically have two choices. The northern portion ( Bullfrog ) or the Southern portion ( Walweep / Page, Arizona ). For living, I would go with the southern portion. Page is a nice town and 10 miles from the lake. Also has some nice hiking adventures. The north rim of the Grand Canyon is not too far away either. Any way, I hope this helps.:)