PDA

View Full Version : Boat won't accelerate

Team Smith Outback V
06-13-2011, 11:07 PM
I have an 07 Outback V which I just bought used about 2 months ago. Still figuring it all out but twice now I have put the throttle in gear no problem but when I go to accelerate it goes nowhere. The last time this happened I noticed that my Moomba cruise was on so I turned that off, put boat back in neutral then back in gear and it was OK. Been thinking about this and not sure if it was coincidence or that would really have been the cause of the problem. Boat is 30 miles away so this will bother me all week unless someone can clear it up for me.

Thanks

Ian Brantford
06-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Some causes that come to mind for symptoms vaguely like yours:

1. Cruise was on, as you found. D'oh!
2. Throttle cable linkage fasteners worked loose (check cable end in engine compartment, WITH ENGINE OFF!).
3. Fuel filter(s) getting clogged and needing replacement.
4. Vapour lock (if it's really hot).
5. Fuel pump failure.

3 and 4 are issues that would not instantly resolve themselves, so they are unlikely here. Best approach would be to check that cable linkage and remain diligent about the cruise control for a while.

Also, look around for the V-drive oil indicator light. On my XLV, it's on the wall under the throttle (by the driver's right foot). The light should be on when idling, but turn off when the engine is over about 1200 RPM. It's a longshot that this could possibly be an issue, but you might as well make a habit of checking it when you first take off for the first time each day.

FamilyMatters
06-13-2011, 11:28 PM
It was the Cruise. Mine does it often when you leave the Cruise on turn the boat off, Crank it back up, and try to go again without turning the cruise off.

Peace
Darren

schuylski
06-14-2011, 06:08 AM
Agree, definitely the cruise. Happens all the time to me... "ready? yes. Here we go!" and nothing... haha great on dock starts. Still trying to learn when the boat turns off, turn off cruise!

wolfeman131
06-14-2011, 12:50 PM
I love the simple, and inexpensive, fixes!

FLGator
06-27-2011, 01:54 AM
I have a 07 Outback Direct Drive 325 Indmar. Bought 2 months ago. Starts great, runs great. Only problem --when I nail the throttle to bring up a skier or boarder the RPM's will rev fine, then darn near stall, then "catch" and rev back up and all is well. This happens 40+/- percent of the time -- and only when I really hammer the throttle -- slow acceleration is not an issue. I've been reading here about vapor locks, ethanol fuels, etc -- but I have not read a post with this specific type of occurrence. Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

JesseC
06-27-2011, 04:47 PM
I have a 07 Outback Direct Drive 325 Indmar. Bought 2 months ago. Starts great, runs great. Only problem --when I nail the throttle to bring up a skier or boarder the RPM's will rev fine, then darn near stall, then "catch" and rev back up and all is well. This happens 40+/- percent of the time -- and only when I really hammer the throttle -- slow acceleration is not an issue. I've been reading here about vapor locks, ethanol fuels, etc -- but I have not read a post with this specific type of occurrence. Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Almost sounds like it is starving for fuel. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter. There may be enough fuel to supply the boat during normal running, but a wide open throttle may be too much for a restricted fuel filter.

murraymoomba
06-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Do you have Moomba cruise? Our boat has the same issue with the cruise on if you really hammer it. Slow throttle and it is fine. Ours has been this way since it was new.
I just figured that was the way it worked...

rdlangston13
06-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Do you have Moomba cruise? Our boat has the same issue with the cruise on if you really hammer it. Slow throttle and it is fine. Ours has been this way since it was new.

my moomba cruise does the exact same thing

Mikey
06-27-2011, 09:07 PM
I hate to say it but Lose the Cruise and upgrade to Perfect Pass. I did and was money well spent. Day and night difference in how they work.

FLGator
06-28-2011, 12:33 AM

I think that is the way Moomba Cruise works. When you come back to an idle you have to turn it off, then get back up to "cruising" speed, then turn it back on. But while a good thought, that's not the cause of my issue. (Wish it was..) Gettting a new fuel filter, Stabil additive, and having the check valve inspected when the fuel filter goes on. Hope that solves it. If not next call is to Indmar.