PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a slalom ski

trebor-75
06-13-2011, 09:22 PM
With fathers day coming up I decided its time my dad got a new ski. He has been slaloming for years, but always on a cheapo Fleet Farm ski. I would say he is on the low end of intermediate and rides 30-32 mph on a 70' rope and will never go anywhere near a course. He's about 5'10 and 185 pounds.

Also, Id like to keep it fairly cheap... 300-400 if possible?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

jmvotto
06-13-2011, 10:45 PM
obrien world team a classic and still a great ski.

http://m.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=16547&pdesc=OBrien_World_Team_Slalom_Ski_with_X_9_Front_ Plate_Rear_Toe_Plate&aID=600A3&merchID=4006

deerfield
06-13-2011, 10:52 PM
trebor - To get you started here, I ski a Connelly FX1. Bought it new in 2007. I am 6'2" and 180 pounds, and ski for fun. Open water. Last time on a course was 20 years ago. Ski is rigged with a double boot. I really enjoy the ski, but honestly have nothing to which I can compare it. Not sure what is its equivalent in today's Connelly line. I think it's in your price range. Bet you could find a good deal in a used one, and still make your dad really happy. Hopefully some of the better skiers will chime in here for you. They will certainly have some thoughts on ski and price. Thanks for thinking about you dad! - Deerfield

FamilyMatters
06-13-2011, 11:35 PM
I'm Just a Free skier but love to carve it up! I'm 185 5'10 &1/2" and Love the Connelly FX 68". Shaped for easy Starts and stable and forgiving! Here the best price I've seen on it in a long time! It's at Overtons for $239.00

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=12071&pdesc=Connelly_FX_Slalom_Water_Ski_with_Nova_Plate _Rear_Toe_Strap&aID=600A3&merchID=4006

Peace
Darren

trebor-75
06-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Ok thanks guys. I do have 1 other question though. How do you feel about 2 boots vs. 1 boot and a slip-in. Are 2 boots definitely better, or is it just a preference thing?

spoon03
06-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Definately 2 boots. Much more control without having to worry about the rear foot slipping out on the turns.

jmvotto
06-15-2011, 10:43 AM
its prefernce but, i went from a RTP to a double boot last year and loved it.

schuylski
06-15-2011, 02:32 PM
This is perfect timing - I'm checking out the same thing for my Dad. Not only won't he go near a course, he won't go near a double boot ski either.

He currently skis on an old Callaway Gardens wooden ski that I keep trying to use for starter wood in a fire and he won't let me near it. Delaminated, and cracking... you can see sunlight through it... he needs a new ski.

He usually ends up dropping a ski now - he's 5'10'', 180ish, and 65 years old..... so I'm looking for something easy and hopefully less squirrely but nothing to take away that pride. Connelly FX??

kaneboats
06-15-2011, 02:39 PM
I had to find my Dad a Taperflex wooden one with the white woodgrain on the bottom a few years back. Not an easy ski to find anymore. One of the nephews broke his back in the late 80's and he whined about it for 20 years. I got a bug about it so I went on ebay every day for a month and found one. He about crapped his pants when we gave it to him. I don't think he's skied in about 3 years now-- he turned 70 in April. His twin brother always skied on an old wooden thing that said "Banana Peel" on it. I think it got sold with a boat way back and he cried about it for 30 years. What a piece of crap that one was.

deerfield
06-15-2011, 02:51 PM
How do you feel about 2 boots vs. 1 boot and a slip-in.

trebor - After years of skiing with a rear toe piece, I moved up to a double boot. With a hard pull accross the wake, I REALLY like the security. Have never injured a foot or knee as result of a failed release. Takes some getting used to balance with both feet locked in on a deep water start. Can be hard on lower back muscles, too. For sure, dragging a foot is easier. In the end it's a matter of personal preference and comfort level. - Deerfield

PWO
06-15-2011, 03:04 PM
I was looking for a starter slalom ski good as a step up from combos to start to get a little more aggressive on, but also something good to be shared with others who might just be learning since I usually do the family thing or go with people who don't get out a lot (heck I don't get out a lot). I ended up finding a deal on an HO comp freeride and it's been great so far. Easy starts, stable ski to ride flat if you need to, but also good to 30-32 in the intermediate area.

I don't have a lot to compare it too. If I were really focusing on skiing and improving for the course I would probably upgrade it pretty quickly (or have gotten something else), but for just free skiing it's been great.

I have a wiley's binding and RTP.

maxpower220
06-15-2011, 04:58 PM
The FX is a great little ski. My wife skis on one and I have ridden it many times. It is a shaped ski. You should be able to find one under your budget.

Mikey
06-15-2011, 07:28 PM
There are many skis out there that would work perfectly for him.The technology in current skis is day and night compared to old skis. there are many skis that would work great and I,m sure in the price range you mention as well.

As for one or two boots at his level,age I would go with what makes him comfortable.Lots of pro,s still ski without double boots,using toe straps.I prefer them for the security,feel etc but remember it is more difficult/ work coming out of the water two feet in.

As for brands,,everyone has skis that will work and if you go online especially there are lots of good deals to look at or maybe a clear out or year old etc.Lots of places to look.Try Overtons,Adrenaline,Barts etc,use the guide for size ,weight,price and go from there.

for a mid level ski you don,t have to be as picky as you would with the more high performance Expensive skis

trebor-75
06-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! I ordered a Connelly FX that was on sale on Overtons. Ill let you know what he thinks as soon as we get it and try it out.

iwaterskihard
06-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Couple things to ponder in your upcoming purchase:

Will your dad be the ONLY one riding this ski? (purchased should be based on height & weight of rider)

Bindings offer many different options and the choices are plenty! With doubles it's hard to let someone else ride your ski unless they have the same size feet?

My recommendations would be something not very aggressive and maybe a little on the wider side. I'm not going to tell you which brand to buy as just about every ski manufacturer out there has a ski for everyones individual ability.

If you're fortunate enough to live close to a place where you can demo some different ski's even better.

Good luck!

usaski1
06-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Fleet Farm?? I wanna see a picture of that.. thats no Razor...

trebor-75
07-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Well my dad finally got a chance to try the new Connelly FX and he LOVED it. He even had the nerve to say "wow, I should have got one of these years ago" even though I've been telling him that for as long as I can remember. He's already talking about how he wants to start taking skiing a little more seriously.

So thanks again for all the help and good advice! It's greatly appreciated

deerfield
07-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Trebor - That's good news. Glad you found the right ski for your dad. Would love to see a picture of him riding the FX. - Deerfield

BensonWdby
07-05-2011, 01:39 AM
Just curious - did you go with double boots? Glad he is having fun. Next thing - take your Dad to Ski Paradise in Acapulco....
And let him him know it is never too late to get better. After skiing slalom for 40 years I am just starting to really improve - after getting some significant coaching. Old habits are hard to break - coaching really makes a difference.
Now make sure you get him out on the water regularly - with you... That is what he really wants....

trebor-75
07-12-2011, 05:47 PM
I went with the single boot because he's just alot more comfortable that way. (like you said... old habits are hard to break)

We are heading up north to the cabin on Friday for a 4 day weekend so there will be lots of skiing on the early morning glass... I'll be sure to snap some pics and load them when we get home.

BensonWdby
07-12-2011, 06:31 PM
How far up north?

trebor-75
07-14-2011, 08:02 AM
My uncle has a cabin on Long Lake in Longville.